Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 11:22 AM   #10226
knightmare

"Of all global cultures, it seems to be only English-speaking males that regard farting as marvellously funny and socially acceptable. Indeed, the flatulence joke has a respectable literary pedigree11. A possible exception to this is the French. In the late 19th to early 20th Century, an artiste by the name of Joseph Pujol performed dazzling feats of flatulatory virtuosity on the music hall stage - but he found his greatest fame was in England where he farted before royalty." (BBC)
Old 10-31-2006, 11:33 AM   #10227
Linen

I'm excited about this evening. My husband and I are going to hang out with some friends of ours tonight for Halloween. Probably nobody else will dress up except for me - party poopers!!! I don't understand why anyone wouldn't want to dress up. I have loved wearing costumes since I was a little girl.

I used to have a special "dress-up trunk" when I was little with some of my old dance costumes, Halloween costumes, and things like old stuff of my mom's like her high heels and such. It was fun! I think Halloween should be an official Federal & State holiday in which everyone is forced to dress up.... okay so it's just a dream of mine.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:01 PM   #10228
Paper_Wings

Hello peoples! Just thought I'd Drop by. I don't have internet at my house so I'm using my cousins computer. I may not Be back for a while after tonight as well because my computer has 1099 viruses (I know. A lot). So how are things going with the Gnetters?
Old 10-31-2006, 10:56 PM   #10229
disorder

WOOHOOO! *glomps Paper*
I wondered where you'd gotten too. Hope to see you back soon
Old 11-01-2006, 12:31 AM   #10230
PersephoneX

doll dagga buzz buzz ziggidy zag...who writes this shyte?!?!?!
I cut myself to sleep
I close my eyes for a second
And curse my fragile soul
I scream to hide that I'm lonely
The echo calls my name

*ANIMAL CRACKERS*

http://www.myspace.com/persephone_x
Old 11-01-2006, 12:11 PM   #10231
OsoCrazy

Mmmm. Candy, this stuff is good. real good. ew. Bottle Caps. NASTY...any one want some Bottle Caps?
Old 11-01-2006, 12:26 PM   #10232
Linen

Gah! Work is boring. I can't wait to get home.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:45 PM   #10233
Godslayer Jillian

So... I finally got the perfect name for my religion.
As from yesterday (yes, in halloween. Creepy, huh?)
The Church of the (un)Holy Dada has become real.
Haha, I'm serious, by the way.
If anyone's curious, ask me and research a little about Dadaism.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:26 PM   #10234
knightmare

Hey Jillian, is your religion by chance related to the original anti-art movement that challenged contemporary views of art? Integrating works of art into religious concepcts is practically unheard of. Interesting...at least is better than the worship of food, it does exist. If I made one this is how it would be: Now bow (or sit if you're too fat) to almighty Ronald McDonald and turn to Menu 1:12. For communion, we will have Big Macs and soda. Also, our symbol would be the McD's arches. Interesting concept Jillian, and maybe we start a thread on creating religions, since it might be fun.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:29 PM   #10235
Godslayer Jillian

Why yes indeed.
Dadaism is a school of art that is essentially anti-art.
Where art beautifies, Dadaism offends.
Where art is poetry, Dadaism is mockery.
Now, I believe Dadaism is genius, but I'm not a fan of it. Yet, I cannot see any better form of Dadaism than Dadaism in religion.
I think the slogan will be something like "When Atheism is just not enough"

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:46 PM   #10236
knightmare

Jillian, how is it possible that you can be both pro-art and anti-art at the same time? Art is subjective to the one who perceives the art. What is art to someone, can also be trash for someone else. I am essentially confused Imagine my confusion when you incorporate dadaism to religion. Help a brother out..
Old 11-01-2006, 04:53 PM   #10237
Godslayer Jillian

Haha, that's why I said I'm not a fan of Dadaism.
But I absolutely recognize that Dada is pure genius.
It's like Marilyn Manson. Not a fan of him, and I hate mansonites; but the idea of losing one's own self-image for becoming the anti-thesis of the contemporary cultural norms is pure genius. Though I doubt Marilyn Manson himself appreciates this as much as I do, and this is a one-time thing which should have never become so mainstream, as it loses its basic meaning.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 11-01-2006, 05:02 PM   #10238
knightmare

Ah, so Dadaism is not against art in general but against the contemporary and prevalent view of art as an expression of beauty. Isn't if just a fascination with grotesque art, like the one DaVinci had in order to emphasize beautiful art by contrasting it with the grotesque. Still, I fail to see the genius of dadaism, to me it is just personal preference of an art over the mainstream art. So even gothics are in a sense, dadaitic (making up words here). Correct me, if I am wrong, please, you bring up interesting concepts
Old 11-01-2006, 05:11 PM   #10239
Godslayer Jillian

Well, the thing is that Dadaism is not only against some kinds of art. It's against all kinds of art.
That's why you should always refer to it as anti-art, it's not grotesque art.
What I find genial in Dadaism is how it can be clever by completely not only disregarding, but blaspheming one of the beauties mankind has had since its inception.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 11-01-2006, 05:26 PM   #10240
knightmare

I just looked up an overview of Dadaism, and according to wikipedia, it fought art by using art. Noone can totally be against all art, how is it possible to be against all art. By just expressing your dislike of an art, you are revealing your preference in regard to art. These people are weird, everything involves art, even science.
Glad you brought this up, btw
Old 11-01-2006, 05:42 PM   #10241
Godslayer Jillian

Heh, I don't mean they are against art. A more clear definition of my point is that they mock all kinds of art. It makes aworld of difference, that slip of the tongue.
Anyway, yeah; as you can infer by the name, my religion is a form of Dadaism but in religion.
What could be more orgasmically perfect?

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 11-01-2006, 05:57 PM   #10242
knightmare

Ah, ok. So they mock all kinds of art, by making their own art. Do they use satirical elements in their art or is it just abominable? If it is abominable, I am then a disciple of this dadaism.
Dadaism indeed is very intriguing in religion. Making a religion to mock all others is an intelligent concept. I think your church you wouldn't last too long. After being maimed by Muslim bombs, your followers would then get stabbed with crucifixes and sprayed with destructive holy water, then cut up and sold into a meat market for profit by the Jews.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:02 PM   #10243
OsoCrazy

My brain hurts. i jus went reading through 40 pages of forum backwards.....confusing...ouchy.

Goldslayer Jillian, you confusing confuses me. very much, dont worry, many things confuse me. but i think Knightmare made it pretty clear....
Old 11-01-2006, 06:07 PM   #10244
knightmare

Wow, I didn't add that last sentence, it was my friend Ergmal who wrote that. Man that is offensive *beats him up*
Old 11-01-2006, 06:21 PM   #10245
Godslayer Jillian

Haha, I don't know; Satanism has lasted half a century.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 11-01-2006, 07:46 PM   #10246
knightmare

Jillian, you don't know whether dadaism is satirical or absurd? I don't know what you don't know. I wonder what would be the practices of the Dadaic church. Would you just make fun of people, like in high school?
Old 11-01-2006, 08:26 PM   #10247
Godslayer Jillian

Making fun of people is so... high-school like.
I think you're underestimating me. Would I really create a religion that's just about whining about other religions?
No, my friend.
The (un)Holy Church of Dada is quite serious, with its dogmas and saints.
As for now, it only has one saint: H.G. Wells. The saint of Time Travel and Invisibility.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 11-01-2006, 08:52 PM   #10248
knightmare

Ah, seriousness and the mocking of religions are hard to reconcile. H.G. Wells would make an awesome saint, he is a great scifi author, War of the Worlds is pretty good. But I am afraid you are forgetting another saint..John Keats, the literary voice in Hyperion. If you can incorporate scifi into dadaism, it would be incredible, even though it is a paradox, since obviously, dadaism is against such literary achievements. But still, it would unite all the nerds in the world.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:11 PM   #10249
Godslayer Jillian

Hold the conversation!!
You have read Hyperion??
Ohmefuckengoth of AWESOMENESS!!!

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 11-01-2006, 09:22 PM   #10250
knightmare

Yes, and I must say you have good literary tastes.
The first one wasn't as good as the second one, The Fall of Hyperion. It has memorable characters like The Shrike, guardian of portals.

I like sci-fi, but it currently has been in a slump.
Closed Thread