Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 04-10-2006, 09:53 PM   #1
emeraldlonewoulf

Goth pattern exchange?

Hey, I was wondering if you guys would be interested in starting some sort of Goth pattern exchange? I know many of us enjoy making our own unique clothing, and patterns for many of the styles I am interessted in are hard to find. i have found many sleek, elegant styles, as well as some renaissance styled patterns I like, but I would like to see what's out there beyond the McCall's costume section. Something actually wearable? Anyway, I'm not too sure how to scan or send patterns, but maybe we could figure something out?

question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper of Death
(shouts) WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG??!!?
answer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneath the Shadows
Because some people are dicks. And not everyone else is gay.
emeraldlonewoulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 12:37 AM   #2
Cicero

I'm in. There's a severe lack of good patterns out there for gothic styled clothing, and original designs are way better than what most pattern companies have to offer. Sharing sounds like a great idea, especially with the mix of creative minds present on this board.
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 07:47 PM   #3
[dark matter]

Ooh. Well this does sound fun. I just recently started making a patchwork sweater. Its not that intracate, but its pretty cool. And Ive overcome my fear of the sewing machine x3
[dark matter] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 08:02 PM   #4
Corpus_Draconis

A patern-exchange could be good. Lately, I've been pinning lengths of cloth to make skirts. It's nice, because they fit, you can then unpin the skirt and use the cloth for something else, and you can also vary it from wearage-to-wearage. It's much fun.
Without an honest heart
as compass

--Nightwish.
Corpus_Draconis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 03:24 PM   #5
emeraldlonewoulf

I'm checking out new sewing machines, and have found Wal-mart to be good for one thing: the dollar a yard table. You can find some really funky, unique fabric, ans sometimes even decent quality. And lots of types of black fabric.

Any ideas yet on how to exchange or post patterns?

question:
Quote:
answer:
Quote:
Old 04-18-2006, 03:58 PM   #6
Engulfed_in_darkness

Individuality rules. Im in.
Engulfed_in_darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 06:29 PM   #7
Vorsuc

Hell, I'd be up for some "so you haven't a clue what you are doing, here's some guides" information.

I've got a machine, thread, fabric and enthusiasm but now idea what to do next...
Vorsuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 05:31 AM   #8
victoria rain

good idea. count me in. i'm in the process of learning to knit and crochet and spent a good chunk of yesterday looking for goth-themed patterns. all i managed to find that caught my eye were goofy halloween patterns. i did manage to come across a skull wristband (cheesy halloween thingy), a bat, and a spiderweb thingy. besides that, i've got a load of sewing patterns i would like to make and personalize. now all i need is a cheap sewing machine.

victoria rain
victoria rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 05:46 AM   #9
Cicero

I found some nice medieval patterns on eBay that I'm now going to mangle into my own exact tastes. Though I can't really think of a proper way of exchanging them over the internet.... We could always just scan drawings of the designs of the items to share inspiration, then make the patterns ourselves. I'm not much of a pattern person anyway - I generally just work with a few rough measurements and ideas in my head. Although to those just beginning, patterns are probably the best way to go until you get the hang of it.
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 01:39 AM   #10
Nocturne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero
Though I can't really think of a proper way of exchanging them over the internet.... We could always just scan drawings of the designs of the items to share inspiration, then make the patterns ourselves.
I suppose we could make small scale patterns and write the measurements on the drawing, e.g. "breadth of chest, front" or "distance shoulder - waist". I've seen similar drawings in a book on historical patterns, with lines indicating the measurements ... and I own some medieval to 19th century patterns for Barbie doll from ebay, which come with directions on how to enlarge them to fit an adult human. The patterns would fit on the scanner, but probably be quite large as image files, so email might not be an option. ZIP or RAR is a must, in any case. And I must get that scanner working again - our rats got at the data cable.

I envy you the dollar-a-yard-table at Walmart's. I expect to pay around 12 to 15€ per metre for cheap (fake) velvet, and the real thing is easily at least twice the price. Most of the fabric I use is from ebay.
Nocturne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 07:14 PM   #11
luna-

Whew, It's been a while since I last visited this boards, but anyway, I'm in.
I just bought a sewing machine, and I have little experience (altough I did manage to make a nice corset-like top by myself). Count me in, then. I'll share whatever I come across with.
luna- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 12:04 PM   #12
emeraldlonewoulf

some good ideas, i didn't want to let this thread die, but I've been out of town for over a week, so it seems to have dropped a little. I think the scanning thing could work for patterns, we will have to try it. I'd volunteer, but don't have a scanner. as for velvet, you certainly won't find the good quality stuff at walmart, but fabric stores like Jo Ann's are good, and sometimes you can hit the sales. Strangely enough, I've found some of the most interesting fabrics at yard sales, because you'll come across some little old lady who's been sewing for fifty years and has finally decided to clean out her fabrics stores. You can finds some really cool "antique" fabrics that way, and they are usually cheap.

question:
Quote:
answer:
Quote:

Last edited by emeraldlonewoulf; 05-14-2006 at 12:05 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-15-2006, 12:14 AM   #13
PainisyourFriend

Some of the recreationist patterns turn out very Goth when done in the right fabric. Google: A Vampire Day at the Beach. That is a folk wear pattern. Some of the 1950's day dresses. The McCall's M4490 turns out beautifully with a bit of tweaking. Done in silk from Dharma trading company dyed black, red or silver. yummy.
PainisyourFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 10:22 AM   #14
WolfMoon

I don't have patterns for most of the stuff I do. Sorry to be of no help, guys.

The one pattern I do have is actually just a cut-out I traced onto some thin cotton. It's one panel for a gored skirt.

http://www.morgeve.dk/guide/witchskirt.html

That's the website I got it from.
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 11:51 AM   #15
Corvidya

I'm looking into creating a page where we could actually put the patterns (any suggestions on free hosting?), at least some basics, like different types of skirts, accessories, tips to make things easier and such. Also Jo anns is great, especially if you're on a budget because they have a clearance section where the fabrics are never more expensive than $5 and sometimes they go half off (like this weekend) not to mention being on the mailing list gives you 40% off of something every to weeks I practically own a fabirc store becuase of that place.
Corvidya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 08:42 AM   #16
Minyaliel

Corvidya - great idea, that web site. (Perhaps you'd care to introduce yourself... oh, and have a look at www.profusehost.com)

I hardly ever use patterns, sorry people. But I could share images and descriptions on how to do it, if anyone's interested in it.
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 03:09 AM   #17
Heatherzilla

You could put the patterns in a downloadable pdf file. Have them drawn to scale and instructions on how to enlarge them to the right size. I've seen it done before and it works pretty well.
Heatherzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 03:55 AM   #18
Tindomiel

If you want some simple DIY, just log onto http://www.gothfashion.info/diy.php.

Enjoy! Happy sewing.
Tindomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 04:43 AM   #19
bleedingheart344

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero
I'm in. There's a severe lack of good patterns out there for gothic styled clothing, and original designs are way better than what most pattern companies have to offer. Sharing sounds like a great idea, especially with the mix of creative minds present on this board.
Sounds like an awesome plan, I just need to learn how to make my own clothes first. ooo, Thanks Tindomiel
Old 09-13-2006, 09:10 AM   #20
emeraldlonewoulf

yay! someone resurrected the beast! Dialogue is good for stuff like this, ideas get generated and everyone can use the bits and pieces they like.

question:
Quote:
answer:
Quote:

Last edited by emeraldlonewoulf; 09-13-2006 at 09:13 AM. Reason: sp.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:13 AM   #21
emeraldlonewoulf

Tindomiel: great site!

question:
Quote:
answer:
Quote:
Old 09-13-2006, 12:30 PM   #22
PoupeeCelestia

Location: Lapiland =) quite a nice place with purple mountains and that kind of stuff...
Oh God, I´m so exited about this. I wan´t you all to know I want to help as much as I can. Somebody asked about...free hosting?....you see, let´s all make pattern donations (I have some myself) and lets upload them! =D!!...I have purchased a host some months ago for the web page I´m making.
I could create a free ftp account for all of us =). What do you think? No banner ads, no pop ups =).
PoupeeCelestia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 09:56 PM   #23
PersephoneX

this could be interesting...
I cut myself to sleep
I close my eyes for a second
And curse my fragile soul
I scream to hide that I'm lonely
The echo calls my name

*ANIMAL CRACKERS*

http://www.myspace.com/persephone_x
PersephoneX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 06:00 PM   #24
BlackButterfly

For anyone who reads from the GL Bible, I just found a pattern for the most excellent shirt! There are other patterns on this site, but I like this shirt so much...

Here's the link:

http://www.gothic.janchan.com/gl1.html

also, since it's in Japanese, here's a little translating help (although the pics are pretty self-explanatory, but maybe that's just me...)

http://cosplay.janchan.com/patterns/gr-patterns.pdf

I want to make it sooo bad right now, but I have to back-burner it because I have three other projects up right now, one of them for Halloween...

But as for anyone who wants to start on it...Happy sewing!!
According to an article in USA Today, children from single parent homes have much better verbal skills than children from two parent homes. However, children from two parent homes are far superior at bitterly sarcastic repertoire.

I'd love to see crowds of kids running away from a greased naked guy with Jesus hair.--
c130
BlackButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 11:55 PM   #25
TSW|Abaddon

Great idea!! I'm working on a jacket right now. It should be done by the end of Oct. I'll post pics and if anyone wants the pattern I'll upload it
TSW|Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote