Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 03-21-2006, 08:07 AM   #1
J.M.Lovechild

Hello, i'm Jenna *looks around*

Hey.
My name's Jenna, as i'm sure you can see from the title. My username, J.M.Lovechild is a pseudonym/nickname and the name i prefer to use for writing.
Some interests, hobbies and favourite things of mine: books, poetry, music, walking in the woods, thunderstorms, serial killers, vampires, playing keyboard, movies, new experiences and people, learning new things and so on.

I love reading, most people that know me see "bookworm" as a pretty accurate description of me! I like to read novels, short-stories, poems, plays, cereal packets, anything i can get my hands on really. Mainly i like horrors, classic literature, gothic novels, crime & psychological thrillers, autobiographies and books about Asian culture.
I also enjoy writing (mainly short stories and poetry) and would love to write for a living at some point in my life. My favourite authors are Karin Slaughter, Anne Rice, Virginia Andrews and Poppy Z. Brite, to name but a few.

My favourite films include "The Crow", "House Of Flying Daggers", "Queen of the Damned" and "The Virgin Suicides", but there are far too many to mention here. I particulary like to watch horrors, cult movies and Asian films.
I listen to lots of different types of music and don't limit myself to just one genre. I like black metal, heavy metal, industrial, gothic metal, classical and a lot more. I actually don't really like defining music by genres. One of my favourite bands at the moment are Tool because i think Maynard's lyrics are amazing, but again i have a lot.

I'm from a town in the Highlands of Scotland called Alness, which is about 20 miles north of Inverness.
I am in High School, but currently taking a year out for personal reasons. I will be completing my Highers next year and then plan to go on to University to study English or Criminal Psychology.

I joined this forum because i love gothic literature and it seems to be a good place to talk to people with similiar interests to mine.

I didn't expect to write so much, sorry about that!
J.M.Lovechild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 08:12 AM   #2
prettylikedrugs

Hello and welcome

(can a newbie say that to another newbie? Hell, who cares!)

I've never read any of Poppy Z. Brite's stuff, but I've always been meaning to. What's it like?
prettylikedrugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 08:12 AM   #3
Shi'ark

More people from Briton, great someone to talk to during the day. ‘Criminal Psychology’ that’s what I got into before starting work in mental health. You’re fit in well. Welcome to gothic net
Old 03-21-2006, 08:15 AM   #4
WolfMoon

Welcome, Jenna.

It's perfectly fine to write as much as you want about yourself. That's how we get to know ya.

WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 08:19 AM   #5
J.M.Lovechild

Hello Prettylikedrugs and Shi'ark.

Prettylikedrugs, Poppy Z. Brite's books are dark, gorey and very sexual, to sum them up in a few words! Not the best choice of books if you're easily offended but i think they're great, my favourite is "Lost Souls".

Shi'ark, yes it's great to se a British person, i thought it would be mostly American's here (not that i have anything against Americans, its just the time difference thing). I actually used to have a voluntary job working with people with mental health problems!
Old 03-21-2006, 08:20 AM   #6
J.M.Lovechild

And hello Wolfmoon!
Old 03-21-2006, 08:21 AM   #7
Ben Lahnger

Hey, Jenna, nice intro! Welcome to this place. Your literary leanings will serve you well here.

If you like Poppy Z. Brite, have you gotten into Laurell K. Hamilton yet? Her "Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter" books are the most fun I've ever had reading vampire novels.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 08:35 AM   #8
Shi'ark

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.M.Lovechild
Hello Prettylikedrugs and Shi'ark.

Prettylikedrugs, Poppy Z. Brite's books are dark, gorey and very sexual, to sum them up in a few words! Not the best choice of books if you're easily offended but i think they're great, my favourite is "Lost Souls".

Shi'ark, yes it's great to se a British person, i thought it would be mostly American's here (not that i have anything against Americans, its just the time difference thing). I actually used to have a voluntary job working with people with mental health problems!
The American's here are good people, not like most of the ones who come to London. What is with tourist and this city anyway.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:37 AM   #9
tenet_2012

I prefer to call them tourons.

--Geisha
tenet_2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 08:39 AM   #10
Ben Lahnger

"tourons" ... ?!? ... damn, I like that!

Tenet, I'm stealing that for future use!

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 08:40 AM   #11
prettylikedrugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.M.Lovechild

Sounds like my sort of book

I'm not easily offended and seldom shocked, so no fear there. I shall check them out next time I need a book to read.

Last edited by WolfMoon; 03-21-2006 at 08:46 AM. Reason: forgot to close HTML, yes I'm bored =P
prettylikedrugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 08:16 PM   #12
bunnicula

Hello! I like Poppy Z Brite's books too, and my favorite is also "Lost Souls." A lot of people (not here on gothic.net) have criticized Poppy for being "fluffy" or not a real literary writer, but I still like her. She lived in New Orleans, same as me, so maybe I share her sensibility.
bunnicula is offline   Reply With Quote