Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 03-12-2006, 08:23 PM   #401
Magpie_Tendencies

Hi there [dark matter]. When you meet new people, it's polite to introduce yourself before butting into a conversation. Same principle online. Why don't you head over to Introductions and make a new thread alll about you and we'll all go say Hi to you over there, kay?
Old 03-12-2006, 11:20 PM   #402
bunnicula

Hot Topic mostly sucks. I did find a cool Nightmare Before Christmas shirt there for $10. It is cool that there is an "alternative" but mainstream store, for people in rural areas and such. But....it does make it really easy to look like a "goth in a box." I have always thought that dressing "goth" was a way to creatively express oneself, and shopping exclusively at Hot Topic takes the creativity out of it. I am older than a lot of people on this board, so by the time my hometown got it's one and only Hot Topic in 1999, I had already mastered the art of turning lingerie and random thrift store finds into interesting gothy outfits, so Hot Topic was not that important to me.
bunnicula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 08:59 AM   #403
WolfMoon

I have always thought that dressing "goth" was a way to creatively express oneself, and shopping exclusively at Hot Topic takes the creativity out of it.

That sums it up very nicely.

Thank you.

WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 04:53 PM   #404
[dark matter]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie_Tendencies
Hi there [dark matter]. When you meet new people, it's polite to introduce yourself before butting into a conversation. Same principle online. Why don't you head over to Introductions and make a new thread alll about you and we'll all go say Hi to you over there, kay?
Ehh. Sorry. I didnt realize how long this fourm was. Sorry I butted in also, Just figured Id post what i thought, before I forgot it...Guess I should head over to the newbie board then. Sorry for interrupting...Continue. Ill follow it more closely later..
[dark matter] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 05:32 PM   #405
+Neon Injection+

:o

I dont see why the excuse of "it's too expensive to make my own clothing" comes into play. I ventured into a Hot Topic not too long ago, and I was actually shocked to see a VNV Nation patch. $11. For a 3 inch large patch. I am disgusted. Kids need to gain some creativity skills and stop being so damn lazy. *rant complete*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfMoon
I have always thought that dressing "goth" was a way to creatively express oneself, and shopping exclusively at Hot Topic takes the creativity out of it.

That sums it up very nicely.

Thank you.

Amen.
+Neon Injection+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 05:47 PM   #406
tenet_2012

Talking

When I lived in a smaller town, Hot Topic was trhe only place to find decent music.

Now that I live in a city, I would never go into a place where "mall goths" shop.

Although I very rarely make my own cloths, I usually buy them at second hand stores or thrift shops. I find that there are some very nice cloths and very cheap. I bought a three piece suit (black with black pin stripes) for $25. Then I bought a blood red tie and a zoot suit like hat. I was able to get a very sharp outfit for like $30.

Thrift shops are the only way to go (especially for drag cloths).

--Geisha
tenet_2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 05:53 PM   #407
Corpus_Draconis

Yeah, I need to visit a second-hand store. There's a Phase 2 really close to campus...
And learn how to make my own clothes. I saw a REALLY nice shirt in a magazine once, with big, pleated sleaves, giant cuffs, and a corsety body, but it was some designer thing and was 1700$. That price made me want to bash my head against a wall. Stunning shirt though. I want to take a costume/clothes design/making course and learn how to make cool clothes.
Without an honest heart
as compass

--Nightwish.
Corpus_Draconis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 09:00 PM   #408
bunnicula

I don't really dress too goth anymore; just plain black stuff mostly, but when I dress up to go out I like to put together a fun and funky goth ensemble. I need to buy some more interesting clothes though. When I moved I could only take with me what would fit in my little Japanese car, so a lot of clothes got left behind....anyway, most of my goth clothes were like, size 0, and I am not any more, so hopefully some tiny goth girl somewhere is enjoying my fake fur and shiny things.
bunnicula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 09:21 PM   #409
Corpus_Draconis

Yeah, I wear as much black as I can as often as I can, but I don't have enough to wear all black or mostly black all the time, which is what I would like to be able to do. You know, parental control combined with apathy...
Without an honest heart
as compass

--Nightwish.
Corpus_Draconis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 11:58 AM   #410
angleangel_doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenet_2012
When I lived in a smaller town, Hot Topic was trhe only place to find decent music.

Now that I live in a city, I would never go into a place where "mall goths" shop.

Although I very rarely make my own cloths, I usually buy them at second hand stores or thrift shops. I find that there are some very nice cloths and very cheap. I bought a three piece suit (black with black pin stripes) for $25. Then I bought a blood red tie and a zoot suit like hat. I was able to get a very sharp outfit for like $30.

Thrift shops are the only way to go (especially for drag cloths).
Yes, truly it is. Some of my most awesome clothing comes from local thrift stores. Looking original is my calling.
angleangel_doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 12:02 PM   #411
angleangel_doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reject_Bunnies
For me,It just takes too darn long.
{I see you like Ninjas,Pirates,and Vikings..that's an interesting combination}
Yes, yes it is, but hell...I like 'em all.
angleangel_doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 02:25 PM   #412
maggot

Dressing in a skirt... Hmm... What do you mean by a skirt, there are many types. I ain't dressing in a miniskirt, if that's what you mean.

Oh, and by the way: I'm back!
Old 03-17-2006, 02:33 PM   #413
Psi

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggot
Dressing in a skirt... Hmm... What do you mean by a skirt, there are many types. I ain't dressing in a miniskirt, if that's what you mean.

Oh, and by the way: I'm back!
Lmfao, that made me laugh.

I have an they are talking about something like this...

http://www.hottopic.com/store/produc...=216342&RN=136

I just took it from hot topic's website (seemed appropriate as this thread is about hot topic)
Psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 02:43 PM   #414
maggot

Yeah. That's specifically the kind I WOULD wear... Long baggy skirts rawkzorz my bawkzorz.

Hooray, men's sizing!
Old 03-17-2006, 07:48 PM   #415
NyQuil of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie_Tendencies

This is completely off the subject at hand, but as a fellow obsessor of shiny objects, I love your username and tagline.
Old 03-17-2006, 09:49 PM   #416
TwistedKitsune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnguela
They're not owned by the gap, hun. They're owned by Hot Topic. They've recently opened another store by the name of Torrid. You can buy their stock-- their little abbreviation is "HOTT". I did a consumer report on them in high school.
A similar rumor rampaged through my high school my senior year, except apparently Californian rumor mongerers are too good for The Gap, because our rumor involved Abercrombie & Fitch

As for Torrid, I was excited about that when it went in a mall near me, finally, the pants I want in sizes large enough to fit my ass! (Has anyone noticed that the brands Hot Topic sells run small, or does my ass mysteriously expand only when in that store?!) It was cool...for about a year...has anyone here been in a Torrid lately, is it only the one near me that has turned into a pink, frilly, flower-laden, vaguely bohemian--but not really, frightening peice of storefront property? Just wondering...

As for Hot Topic in general. I find it overpriced, a statement that many have made. If I ever buy anything there it's off the clearance rack when they're having a 50% off all clearance items sale. I've gotten several $20 and $30 shirts for $4 and $6 that way. Mostly I go there for ideas. I see some things I like, and then I come home and ponder ways to make them for myself. Unfortunately due to a lack of funds and time, I never get around to it. I am a big fan of the thrift store, they rock my little socks, my huge socks, and all my other socks in between. You buy things cheap and if they rock to begin with, hurrah; if you feel the compulsion to violently (or otherwise) alter said cheaply procured garments, then that's even better, because they become your own AND were cheap to boot!

wow....end rant...

pssst, Morrigan, tokidoki shashin wa ii...
TwistedKitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 10:39 PM   #417
TwistedKitsune

Dare I even dignify that with a response...oh look...too late, I responded, whatever shall I do -now-!?

Old 03-18-2006, 10:17 AM   #418
NyQuil of Doom

Too bad Hot Topic doesn't sell moron-to-human dictionaries.

...see? That was on topic.
Old 03-18-2006, 11:30 AM   #419
maggot

I am saddened by Lecross
Old 03-18-2006, 12:16 PM   #420
TwistedKitsune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnguela
You should stop feeding trolls and stay on topic, that's what you should do -now-...
ok, vaguely off topic before running back on topic here....I'm significantly amused every time the word "topic" shows up in this thread....

Ok, as for being on topic (note to self, resist the urge to feed trolls) same day I posted my last thing in here I got the urge to go to a hot topic, just to see how it's morphed in the last 6 months. The one near us is, frighteningly enough, a good way to tell what the mainstream is listening to and/or in to at the time (i.e. the Napolean Dynomite explosion). Part of the problem is that our store is so -small- they can't really get away from carrying more mainstream stuff, on a marketing and business level, if they only sold random small amounts of more diverse merchandise they would loose business. There's one out at mall that's about 45 minutes away from where I live and, it being bigger, they do have a lot more of the less common stuff, just because they have the room to pack it full of the more mainstream stuff -everybody- wants, and then, being supported by that, can afford to put some of the more questionable items out there....just a speculation.

Old 03-18-2006, 01:23 PM   #421
succubus,queenofvampires

Quote:
Originally Posted by lecross
HI mah nme IS L3CROS and i'm a raal goth.
3V3RYBODY haets me and thinks i'm A P0zEr BUT IM NOT
LOL
i love blak
MARILYN MANSON
KORN
SLIPKNOT
SATAN
HAL
FIER
DEATH
umi... also i haet HOT 2PIC ONLY FAEK GOTHS SHOP THEIR1!! WTF!!
BUT IM A raal GOTH
godbye 1!1! OR SOMETHNG1!!
Please tell me that you're kidding! Please....
succubus,queenofvampires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 02:48 PM   #422
maggot

Did it even post an intro? I'm too lazy to check, but don't recall.

I love how it capitalizes(sp?) in all the wrong places, and none of the right ones.
Old 03-18-2006, 02:58 PM   #423
maggot

Good point. I love how we sound like Buffalo Bill.
Oh, by the way, does it put the lotion on it's skin, or should it get the hose again?
Old 03-18-2006, 03:06 PM   #424
maggot

Well that's why I first said "it."

Hooray mind melding! Oh, now I must be Leonard Nemoy.
Old 03-19-2006, 12:16 AM   #425
Mr.Crow13666

Almost everything I wear is from Hot Topic, and honestly I don't care if it is mainstream or "fake". You see, unlike a lot of people in this world, I wear what I like, and if that makes me look "less goth" than someone else so be it. I don't really care. If you ask me Goth is more or less about the attitude. Anyone can dress goth, or claim to be goth but unless you have the attitude your just nothing.

If the world starts wearing the same clothes as me, I'm not going to change my style, I'll still have my attitude to seperate me from the masses.In the end its attitude that determines who we are, not style of dress.

I hope you all realize that if Goth becomes the "cool thing" and you change who you are becuase of it, then you were never goth to begin with. If you truely belong to a group you will stick with it no matter what. Lets not let the impossible battle against mainstream destroy who we are.

Goth has always been a collection of individuals that aren't afriad to express themselves freely. If our subculture becomes mainstream, It will be our self expression that will seperate us from those who act like us to be "cool". Anyway all these things are trivial subjects, in the end none of this bickering gets us anywhere. We only can go where we allow ourselves to go. So if you chose to change you fall behind those of us that know who we are.

I can not stress enough that those of us who express our opinions without fear of being critisized, are better than those who censor themselves to conform with everyone else. They only censor themselves so thy may aviod confrontation becuase they want everyone to like them. I say, I am who I am, and you can like me for it or hate me, either way its your choice.

In short terms, To be an individual, simply be yourself. Even if that means dressing in hollister and abercrombie, I for one shall not judge you for it, so long as you are comfortable for who you are. Those of you fighting mainstream should realize that being yourself is the ultimate way of fighting mainstream becuase no one will ever be as unique as you.

if you want to send me feedback on this message send me a private message. I feel public confrontations to be in poor taste, as people often call in others to back them up.
Mr.Crow13666 is offline   Reply With Quote