Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:44 PM   #1
Pancakes of Doom

Smile Bizarre Moments in Gaming

Anyone who's played video games for a decent amount of time has had one of those in-game moments that makes them just stare at the screen and wonder what just happened; so share yours.

Mine would have to be the naked Raiden sequence from Metal Gear Solid 2. You've got freaky guards that can jump fifty feet into the air, whilst receiving codec calls from the colonel such as:

"An Anemone or Clematis plant's juice can cause a rash. When pruning them it's a good idea to wear gloves."

"Variety Level 7 Shoot down the space invaders! Training will have to be postponed if we are invaded by UFOs."

And the grand king of them all: "I hear its amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hari Kiri Rock. I need scissors! 61!"

Sure this all sounds strange, but to top all of that off, you're completely naked.
Pancakes of Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 12:13 AM   #2
Godslayer Jillian

When the Dreamcast came up, my school took us on a field trip to a museum that detailed the history of video games and you could play all consoles.
There was a game in the Dreamcast about a guy with a drill, and you had to drill your way down to the finish line. It was sort of an inverted Tetris.
Anyway, that game was cool because even though it was simple, it was challenging, and out of a whim I decided to waste my turn putting the challenge level in Expert. And I won!
I had been clutching the control for like seven minutes of non-stop running from a mine collapse and my friends couldn't believe I beat the game in my second try. :P

Other than that, I had my little own Battle of Termophylae in Total War 2.
I had a small army of about 400 troops in Frankfurt, although they were my best troops, and the damned backstabbing French attacked Frankfurt with three full armies.
I saw the little window that comes up before a battle telling you the number of units each faction has (400/8500 I think) and it tells you how much of a probability do you have of winning, and I was surprised that I had like 30% chance of winning.
And I won.
Completely obliterated the French. Now in my campaign I rule all western Europe.

Damn, that was awesome moments, not bizarre moments. But I'm sure as hell not erasing all I just wrote.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 01:57 AM   #3
Beneath the Shadows

I was playing Prince of Persia: Warrior Within, fighting the Empress of Time for the first time. At one point, I got stuck in some rubble. Somehow, I got behind a block that I wasn't supposed to be able to get behind.

The second time, I accidentally exploited the skip-ahead glitch in that same fight. If you're standing on the Empress's throne (which has a breakable wall which can only be broken by her swords), even though the walls not supposed to be broken until way further down the line, if you get her to hit the wall you can skip ahead to the final battle.
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 02:10 AM   #4
psyches_reflection

Jillian, I used to have that game (or something very similar) on the Game Boy. It wasted so many hours of my life *shakes head*

Whilst starting a new file on Zelda: A Link to the Past, there was some kind of glitch. The first person I spoke to ended up reciting every piece of dialogue in the game - everything from random statements from villagers to "You have found the Boomerang" etc. It took forever to scroll through. One of the things that came up was "You have found the Silver Bow". There are silver arrows in the game, but no silver bow as far as I have ever discovered or read about. It bugged me for years though, trying to find the damn thing.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:37 AM   #5
Nitocris

In "The Dig", one of your fellow explorers gets his hand stuck in a crevice in an unstable wall, and it shifts and traps his hand. You're sitting there, playing the game, thinking "Hmmm, how do I get his hand out?". You go through every item in your inventory. You think about it. Then, it dawns on you.

You then proceed, in full gory detail, to have to saw his hand off with a jawbone.

My own jaw collected some carpet lint that day.
Nitocris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 10:43 AM   #6
Metabolik

I was playing this game Elder Scrolls: Oblivion (i'm a sucker for RPG games) I was inside a city, I went against a wall and I fucking fell through it and i was actually outside the city in the proper full map, but everything was just...gone...
Old 08-16-2007, 12:33 PM   #7
Beneath the Shadows

Yeah, the 360 version of Oblivion had several glitches. One time I started a new game, and when Emperor Picard ( ) appeared, his lips moved, but he didn't say anything. Then, when his guard opened the secret door and I started actually playing, that's when I heard everything he said.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:04 PM   #8
Aaroneet

[quote=Godslayer Jillian]When the Dreamcast came up, my school took us on a field trip to a museum that detailed the history of video games and you could play all consoles.
There was a game in the Dreamcast about a guy with a drill, and you had to drill your way down to the finish line. It was sort of an inverted Tetris.
Anyway, that game was cool because even though it was simple, it was challenging, and out of a whim I decided to waste my turn putting the challenge level in Expert. And I won!
I had been clutching the control for like seven minutes of non-stop running from a mine collapse and my friends couldn't believe I beat the game in my second try. :P

...I think the game you're talking about is Dig Dug. I owned a Dreamcast, although the copy I had of Dig Dug was for my gameboy...I never beat it, but practiced often.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:27 PM   #9
Cyntrox

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HLqRSDg8Bms

DAMN YOU, Ubisoft!

Some of those things just made my jaw drop, and wonder why I spent more than 50 dollars on that game.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:42 PM   #10
HellforgedX

All your base. Enough said.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:41 PM   #11
IsolatedReptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellforgedX
All your base. Enough said.
Ugh. Too much said. That has to be one of the most overplayed jokes by video gamers and general dorks.

My favorite awkward moment was at the end of Metal Gear Solid for the playstation. If the girl died, apparently you remove her shirt and start cursing, but the breast is up close, so you're seeing a highly pixelated breast up close. Odd and awkward at fourteen.
IsolatedReptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 08:45 PM   #12
dark_dragon_of_ice

All your base are belong to us!!
It can never be overplayed!!!
dark_dragon_of_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 07:27 AM   #13
c130

Duke Nukem 3D. The hookers that wiggle their boobs in front of you if you go up to them and hit the Action key to pay them. The display is so pixellated I did it over a dozen times trying to figure out what was going on, then I was like, "oh..."
Old 08-30-2007, 11:27 AM   #14
raineofblood

Not really a glitch of sorts just a very awkward moment:

A friend and I were playing Kingdom Hearts and in the Olympus Coliseum when Cloud faints and Hercules is holding him: Well, it looks terribly wrong. Herc is grabbing Cloud's ass really tight and when Sora enters he runs out to God knows where. Most likely a bedroom where he proceeds to **** Cloud but this is a rated E game so that was not shown...

Also: In Final Fantasy X, I really do fail to understand why this happens. Whenever Tidus is holding Yuna or making any physical contact with her (in the simple cutscenes not the realistic ones) they are actually touching. But whenever Lulu touches Yuna , for example whenever Yuna comes back from the temple Lulu runs to her and holds her shoulders and such, they reallly aren't making any physical contact. Lulu is .... floating.O_o. It's as if Yuna is wearing some sort of repellant...
Old 08-31-2007, 06:35 PM   #15
Beneath the Shadows

In Resident Evil 4, when you finally get into the church and find Ashley, the first thing she says is, "Don't come!"

Um... what?!
Old 08-31-2007, 07:02 PM   #16
Empress Enoc

Cool

All of you forgot to mention the most repulsive, brutal, bloody and disgusting example of human intellect. The game is called: MANHUNT. It's about this prisioner who is freed from death sentence and lured to be the main character of a documentary consisting of brutal killings and excecutions. The game is hardcore man. The most astonishing moment was when I made my first kill, the guy slowly approaches the enemy and litterally wraps a plastic bag over his head and punches him while he's asphyxiating, and to finish the work he grabs the two ends of the bag and makes one fast turn to break the enemys neck. Wicked.

I think these games are suitable only for those who are mentally mature to undertake such gruesome scenes, otherwise, it may have a serious effect on your psyche.
Empress Enoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 07:29 PM   #17
dark_dragon_of_ice

Manhunt was repetitive and boring.
dark_dragon_of_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 10:02 PM   #18
L'Oiseau Noir

Countless time!

Oh, how many times I've had to stop and stare at the screen and ask myself, "what the fucking hell?"

My moment would probably be during Silent Hill 2, when James is in the Westside Apartments. Anyway, you go into that one room after having retrieved the key that little brat Laura threw (grrr, how I hated her) and then Pyramid Head comes in, so James hides in the closet.

Anyway, as Pyramid Head comes into the room (I forget if he was already there) he starts ****** the mannequin monsters doggy style.

I was literally gawking at my screen and saying: "oh my god, what the hell just happened here?"

It was truly, truly disturbing.
L'Oiseau Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 10:57 AM   #19
1 4m 4n 3gg ph34r m3

I was playing a video game once and my wee wee got wet.
1 4m 4n 3gg ph34r m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 11:59 AM   #20
Reikikuro

Wierd moments, hmm. One time I was playing this games on ps2 and my friends were fighting against each other on on one. It was this first person shooter. I got invovled and as soon as I found this grenade launcher I killed my friend. He regenerated next to me so I shot him again. He appeared to my right so I shot him again. He then appeared to my left, so I shot him again. Then I ran out of ammo. So all I had left was this pistol. The only thing is he regerated behind me before I could turn around. I got blasted. that was a wierd moment.
Reikikuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 05:39 PM   #21
Miss Cogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Oiseau Noir
Oh, how many times I've had to stop and stare at the screen and ask myself, "what the fucking hell?"

My moment would probably be during Silent Hill 2, when James is in the Westside Apartments. Anyway, you go into that one room after having retrieved the key that little brat Laura threw (grrr, how I hated her) and then Pyramid Head comes in, so James hides in the closet.

Anyway, as Pyramid Head comes into the room (I forget if he was already there) he starts ****** the mannequin monsters doggy style.

I was literally gawking at my screen and saying: "oh my god, what the hell just happened here?"

It was truly, truly disturbing.
I agree. Prehaps every moment in Silent Hill series just leaves that awkward, what the hell just happened feeling.
Miss Cogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 01:24 PM   #22
Metabolik

I was playing H3 today and I killed this flood that was about to get up by hitting it and he sunk into the ground. lol
Old 09-28-2007, 03:18 AM   #23
Nevan

Last night I shook the dust off my Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Outcast and played it through - there's a cutscene where Luke Skywalker and Desann have a little lightsabre fight. Something must have gone wrong here because Desann manages to chop off Luke's sword-arm but his lightsabre just keeps on cutting and slashing in mid-air. It was hilarious.

Alas! Must it ever be so?
Do we stand in our own light, wherever we go,
And fight our own shadows forever?
- Edward Bulwer-Lytton
Nevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 11:31 AM   #24
MaverickZero

Silent Hill 2's Secret Dog Ending.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUDcS...elated&search=
MaverickZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 01:00 PM   #25
L'Oiseau Noir

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickZero
Lmfao, I remember the first time I unlocked it. Scary stuff, but amusing all the same.
L'Oiseau Noir is offline   Reply With Quote