Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:20 PM   #1
Tea and Cake or Death

Iron Man

I saw it today. I thought it was okay. There were funny parts. Did you see it yet? Do you plan to? Thoughts?
Tea and Cake or Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 07:35 PM   #2
Raptor

I saw it today too. It was pretty predicable really, and silly in places but I enjoyed it anyway. Though I just generally like scenes with the military in, like the humvees at the beginning (which were also in the trailers). I don't think I'd bother watching it a second time or get the dvd though.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 08:33 PM   #3
Tea and Cake or Death

yes. the hummer parts at the start were the best parts of the film. it was.....watchable after that. I wish they did more backgrounds. I got sick to death of looking at the damned lab.
Old 05-03-2008, 03:42 AM   #4
c130

I really enjoyed it - I can see why it got 94% on RottenTomatoes.com.

Also, the bad guy looks almost exactly like one of our college lecturers (who gets on all of our tits constantly) so it was really fun watching him get pwned.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:03 AM   #5
ThreeEyesOni

I rather enjoyed it. I'd actually largely forgotten about the origins, so the first half of the movie was me going "oooohhh, that's right and WOW there it is." I think that the "Iron Man Mark 1" scene was perhaps my favorite section of the film.

Unfortunately (? :P) I also spent much of the movie trying to figure out how to implant a glowing electro-magnet in my chest. >_>
ThreeEyesOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 11:11 AM   #6
JCC

It was alright. Predictable and not in the slightest thought-provoking (even adhering to pointless stereotypes like the action movie dilemma of the Middle East enemies), but funny and mildly interesting and supported by a good cast.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 12:44 PM   #7
Metabolik

I really want to see it, but I haven't gotten round to it yet.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:24 PM   #8
Jaye Jang

Have to go see this when I can get time off from work. Loved the comics so I want to see how close they came. 'Iron Man' is also my absolute favorite song by Black Sabbath.
Jaye Jang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 05:08 AM   #9
Raptor

I don't think the song was in the movie if I remember right. Just in the credits.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 05:19 AM   #10
I Am Great.

I like how they stuck fairly close to the original comic. I'm gonna sell all my old issues and make a fucking mint now.
I Am Great. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 11:07 AM   #11
Pantherlette086

I still haven't see it. I plan to though. I keep hearing how good it is.
Pantherlette086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:26 AM   #12
Disaffected Shoelaces

*proclaims thread Lazarus and resurrects*

I hope it's okay to resurrect older threads. I saw this film yesterday and I thought it was the best superhero film I've ever seen. Okay, so it wasn't the most thought-provoking film in the world, but films made from comics rarely are - they're just good old-fashioned good versus evil tales. It had some funny moments and the scene where Robert Downey Jr. blasts into the Middle East and kicks ass made me wet.

Yes, the Middle Eastern enemy is a stereotype - but surely the arms industry was the real target?

Actually, the only thing that really offended about the film me was the stereotypical love interest, played by Miss Everbland herself.
Disaffected Shoelaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 11:43 AM   #13
Tea and Cake or Death

I felt a lot of it was just recycled.
Get it..Iron...Recycled! Ah.... I slay me!
:P
Old 06-18-2008, 05:50 PM   #14
lolagaxiola

It was ok. The technical bits and flashy animations make you think wow! But there wasn't enough of a plot for my liking.
lolagaxiola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 02:54 PM   #15
le_revenant

Loved it!
I'm always leary about superhero films as its so easy for the film makers to let you down. They can attempt to scuttle story for action, or add way too much "depth" (i.e. long stretches of chatter) and fail to entertain both the fanboys & the movie goers who want an entertaining story that isn't dumbed down. This movie had the right amount of balance.
I loved all the references to the comic book (i.e. the original costume, War Machine, etc.) and the set up to the obligatory sequel (not to mention the crossover appearance in another flick). I'm going back for a 2nd round!
le_revenant is offline   Reply With Quote