Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:35 PM   #1
Tam Li Hua

The Beatles are EVERYWHERE!!

I'm beginning to realize just how insane of an impact the Beatles had; it seems like all the artists I really REALLY like have done at least one cover of a Beatles song at some point.

I just finished watching Across the Universe, and was delightfully chagrined to find that Dear Prudence is not, in fact, a Siouxie original! [Forgive me if this is common knowledge among the Gothic elite. I'm still in research phase, and there is no Goth club within reasonable distance for me to commune with others about this stuff.]

I believe that the Bauhaus once did a cover of a Beatles song, but for the life of me, I can't remember what it was. And, while Type O Negative isn't exactly Goth, nor [to my knowledge] have they done a cover of a Beatles song, I -have- heard Peter Steele say in an interview that he was a big fan.

Anyways, just something I'd thought I felt like sharing. The more I learn about these artists and their music, the more I realize how much the fandom surrounding them doesn't really do them justice.

Ok, I'll end my rambling now; I really should try and get some sleep, 'coz I do have papers to scan and organize tomorrow. WOO HOO!!!

~Lady Tam Li~
Old 06-30-2008, 10:50 PM   #2
Godslayer Jillian

Helter Skelter is also a Beatles' song.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 01:04 AM   #3
Anonymoose

I can't STAND the Beatles. Screw them.
Anonymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 03:52 AM   #4
Wormboy

The Beatles are over rated. I like them myself, however, their hype is so enormous that nobody could EVER live up to it. They did impact a lot of music though. In fact a good chunk of music ever made can be divided into paul music or john music. People with something to sell or people with something to say.

Kontan - "Eventually, you ended up looking like the freaking grim reaper towards the end of the game.
Now we got this cracked out jungle hobo...."
Wormboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 05:50 AM   #5
PortraitOfSanity

Not a Beatles fan. But:

Lennon is God.

The Beatles saved rock n roll.
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 06:32 AM   #6
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
I in all honesty hate the Beatles for several reasons(not all of them their fault).
*their music is overated, overplayed, and overall repulsive to me because of it(get jude out of my head dammit!).
* people use it as the in a way similar to when Cartman (yes I've seen south park a few times not a big fan) runs for president(or somthing like that) uses the 9/11 card, to be popular or get a conversation going.
* The fact that if you don't like the beatles you're automaticly insane
* I don't like the way they sound.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 07:52 AM   #7
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
I suppose I like them because I grew up with their music and movies being released for the first time. As twelve and thirteen year olds we were envious of the older kids who could actually drop acid and then go see Yellow Submarine, and when I heard Maybe I'm Amazed at the same time as the first time I fell in puppy love, the song and the girl were imprinted upon my memory forever.

In Junior High we held a sit-in on the football field to protest the Vietnam war, and would sing along to Hey Jude in unity.

So many memories against the backdrop of The Beatles. The only time I actually saw any of them live was Paul McCartney and Wings during the Venus and Mars tour at the Long Beach Arena. What a showman!

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 07:53 AM   #8
Tam Li Hua

True, they did have a ridiculously huge impact on the world, but can you imagine doing something like they did? Making such an impact on the world in such a great way..?

It's just completely unfathomable to me! I mean, I know it was the '70s and all, but still...it completely floors me.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:56 AM   #9
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Remember: the impact was not because of what they did, it is all in the timing: what they did was in opposition of the times and thus grabbed people's attention.

There was hopelessness, the war assured many young people they would not live to see tomorrow. Then their music of love and hope with it's bouncy and chirpy flair gave them something positive.

It also countered The Establishment and worried the older generation. Thus you have a band that impacted two generations not because of the music, but because their music contrasted with the times.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 02:37 PM   #10
JCC

The Beatles are fantastic and anyone who says otherwise... well, I don't really care, if you don't like them I guess you're the ones that can't enjoy some amazing music.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 02:55 PM   #11
Mir

Fuck the Beatles, they were fucking great!

People that don't like the Beatles usually don't like other bands from the period either. Anyone ever notice that?
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 03:48 PM   #12
Tea and Cake or Death

They were awesome.
Tea and Cake or Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 04:31 PM   #13
homo-adonis

I discovered the Beatles by listening to my older sisters records when I was a kid in the 70s The fact that the Beatles put out that many great songs in such a short period of time is amazing. I as a musician can appreciate that. Any song on any of their albums could be released and be a hit no fillers. No other band or artist can come close to them.
homo-adonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 04:32 PM   #14
badteccy

I honestly can't stand The Beatles, I think they are overrated and were really not that good.
badteccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 04:48 PM   #15
viscus

I never cared much for the Beatles, but they influenced a ton of artists that I love, so I can appreciate them for that.

I does seem like a ton of people say that they like the Beatles because they think they're supposed to, doesn't it?

"Now some of you may encounter the devil's bargain if you get that far. Any old soul is worth saving at least to a priest, but not every soul is worth buying. So you can take the offer as a compliment."

-William S. Burroughs

You're not entitled to your opinion.
viscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 05:03 PM   #16
homo-adonis

I dont think people like the Beatles because they are supposed to. Quite frankly most people reading this board were not even born when the Beatles were making music. I myself have rediscovered a lot of music from the 60s it is some of the best. and very similar to the post punk era that we are all fans of on this board. Listen to a few of the Beatles full albums Abbey Road , Revolver, Help ect. And judge for yourself.
homo-adonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 02:19 AM   #17
LiUsAiDh

I always prefered the Stones, The Beatles are a little too tame. Although, appreciated, they came first and shaped rock music's sound for years, but so did Elvis.

Pie Jesu domine..... Donna eis requiem - *thwack*

'To become truly immortal, a work of art must escape all human limits: logic and common sense will only interfere. But once these barriers are broken, it will enter the realms of childhood visions and dreams.' - Giorgio de Chirico
LiUsAiDh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 03:40 AM   #18
Cicero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam Li Hua
And, while Type O Negative isn't exactly Goth, nor [to my knowledge] have they done a cover of a Beatles song, I -have- heard Peter Steele say in an interview that he was a big fan.
The Day Tripper Medley on World Coming Down.

I listened to a lot of the Beatles as a small child since they're the only band my parents both like (musical polar opposites). As a result I think I'll always rather enjoy them.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 09:06 AM   #19
Aaroneet

The Beatles has been one of my favorite bands for ages. One of their more inspirational songs was probably "I Am The Walrus".
Old 07-06-2008, 09:12 AM   #20
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscus
I never cared much for the Beatles, but they influenced a ton of artists that I love, so I can appreciate them for that.

I does seem like a ton of people say that they like the Beatles because they think they're supposed to, doesn't it?
You kidding? It's become something of a global phenomenon to disregard the Beatles as oldies bullshit.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 03:56 PM   #21
Rorschach Twin

I hate to say this, but most Beatles covers are awful. Actually, I don't hate to say it. It's just irritatingly bad...
Rorschach Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 04:17 PM   #22
luna876

Talking the beatles

chiller3dark red the beatles are the least of the worries of the new age here in finland the top meatle band is nightwish wich in my oprion is the best band ever. but that is just my opinion see for youselfe i suggest you go lookup the song sahara by nightwish it is my faviroit.
luna876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 02:01 PM   #23
LiUsAiDh

Quote:
Originally Posted by luna876
chiller3dark red the beatles are the least of the worries of the new age here in finland the top meatle band is nightwish wich in my oprion is the best band ever. but that is just my opinion see for youselfe i suggest you go lookup the song sahara by nightwish it is my faviroit.
I had to read through that 3 times to understand it.

I'm kinda apathetic towards Nightwish, they did a cover of the theme from 'The Snowman' which they should be shot on behalf of attempting. :S

Pie Jesu domine..... Donna eis requiem - *thwack*

'To become truly immortal, a work of art must escape all human limits: logic and common sense will only interfere. But once these barriers are broken, it will enter the realms of childhood visions and dreams.' - Giorgio de Chirico
LiUsAiDh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 04:29 PM   #24
bloomerbrigade

Anyone who thinks that the Beatles are "lame" needs to listen to the White Album again. Not all of what they did sounded like boy-and-girl-yeah-yeah-yeah "She Loves You". The Beatles were extremely revolutionary for their time period, and THAT is why they are still everywhere, forty-some years after their last album.

They started out like any other boy band, then they reinvented their sound with exotic instruments [for instance, using the sitar], and then reinvented it again a couple of years later by going electric. They broke off from the recording label they were under, and created launched their own -- Apple Records. That was absolutely UNHEARD of at that time. They started out in a period in history when recording artists were merely tools under the thumb of their contract holders -- but they wrote their own songs, took charge of their own style, of their own sound, etc. They didn't go along with what was proven and copy someone else's success. Rather, they became the reference point for the majority of bands to come later in history.

By today's standards, it might not sound that impressive, but they really and honestly DID revolutionize the music industry. The result of what they did is overwhelming. Everything you like about music now owes a HUGE "Thank you!!" to The Beatles.

Even if you are not a fan of *ANY* of their styles [and again, if you are judging their sound based on their early pop years, than your judgement is made in ignorance -- go listen to their later albums before forming an opinion. It's not that hard, people], you at the very least should respect the enormous impact they had on music.

You would appreciate it more if you lived back in the sixties.
bloomerbrigade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 06:40 PM   #25
Godslayer Jillian

By the way yesterday I went to a Beatles tribute by the El Paso Youth Orchestra.
It
Was
Awesome!

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote