Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 07-01-2010, 01:45 PM   #1
Saya

Male Birth Control Pill?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/he...tive-pill.html

Quote:
Until now all attempts to develop a male pill have failed with scientists working on a contraceptive jab for men given by doctors.
But researchers in Israel have finally been able to create a oral pill that deactivates sperm before they reach the womb.

First successful attempt to breed night blooming and day blooming flower
And theyve developed a version that means it only needs to be to be taken once every three months.
The breakthrough pill could be available in as little as three years, according to the scientist behind the discovery.
Unlike the jab form of the male pill it doesnt use a combination of the male hormone testosterone and the female hormone progesterone to block pregnancy.
The scientist behind the male pill discovery has developed a tablet that removes a vital protein in sperm that is required for a woman to conceive.
So while sperm still get through to the uterus they are unable to fertilise an egg.
Using this approach, researchers believe they have a pill that is 100 pc effective at stopping pregnancy.
Not only is it long lasting but it also has other pluses. There are no side effects as suffered by women who take the contraceptive pill.
Men on the male equivalent hormone jabs, which are still undergoing trials report feelings of moodiness, depression and loss of sex drive.
Professor of Haim Breitbart of Israel's Bar-Ilan University, who has helped develop the pill said: Men dont cope well with side effects and having side effects would probably put many off wanting to take a pill. Weve had none of those problems with our pill.
What we found is that by treating the mice with our molecule we can get sterility for a long period of time -in the lower dose, about one month, and in the higher dose we found three months of sterility.
The mice behaved nicely, They ate and had sex. All I can say is that we couldn't see any behavioural side-effects - all their sex behaviour was retained, which is a very important consideration for men. Human trials of the pill are due to start next year.
A big drawback against men being in control of fertility is the fear they would forget to take a pill.
Polls have repeatedly shown wives and partners do not trust their men to remember to pop a pill every day.
But now that problem has been solved. The new pill can be taken either once a month or once every three months.
Professor Breitbart said: "I think most women would trust their man to remember once a month or once a quarter.
Breitbarts pill jams the sperm's chemical machinery that allows it to create a pregnancy. So while the sperm reaches the womb it dies away unable to fertilise the egg.
He said: We looked at a number of compounds that have no effect on male sex drive, but succeed in impairing the reproductive ability of the sperm.
Because there are no hormonal side effect we believe that it will be fairly easy to get approval for this pill.
Professor Breitbat stunned the world of fertility science four years ago by revealing the commonly held belief that conception was immediate once sperm entered the womb.
The research showed that sperm could surive for up to three days before fertilisation took place.
Professor Breitbart said: I then decided to turn my interest to see how to stop that process. I wanted to develop a form of male contraception that would be free of an intervention using hormones.
Now its sounds fishy (NO side effects and 100% effective?) and its only been tested on animals, so I won't believe it until Health Canada and the FDA passes it. But still, really cool! Aside from "but MEN can't remember to take a pill every day!" bullshit, I like the idea that for everyone involved, even if you're not sure or don't trust your partner to take a pill, you can take one just in case anyway.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:13 PM   #2
ape descendant

OMFG!!! FINALLY!!!! I love how, they are so concerned about the side effects for the men.. but either way... awesome, its about frigging time!!

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:20 PM   #3
vindicatedxjin

*prints this out for boyfriend*

Bring Kontan Back
vindicatedxjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:30 PM   #4
Alan

Fuck

yeah
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:32 PM   #5
Alan

Wait, what the hell!

It won't be available until three years in the future?! Fuck that.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:35 PM   #6
vindicatedxjin

You don't want your dick to fall off do yah? they need to test it out first.

Bring Kontan Back
vindicatedxjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:12 PM   #7
Saya

I'll have to find the article for you but it looks like having an ultrasound every so often kills sperm too, its being tested on men now to see the long range effects but so far it seems viable as well, so while you wait just make friends with hospital staff >.>

ETA: Found it!

Quote:
Scientists are beginning tests to see if ultrasound can be used as a reversible contraceptive for men.
Based on early work, University of North Carolina experts believe a blast of ultrasound to the testes can safely stop sperm production for six months.
With a grant of $100,000 from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation they will push ahead with more clinical trials.
The researchers ultimately hope it could offer a new birth control option to couples throughout the world.
Lead researcher Dr James Tsuruta said: "We think this could provide men with up to six months of reliable, low-cost, non-hormonal contraception from a single round of treatment.
"Our long-term goal is to use ultrasound from therapeutic instruments that are commonly found in sports medicine or physical therapy clinics as an inexpensive, long-term, reversible male contraceptive suitable for use in developing to first world countries."
Once the testis has stopped producing sperm and all "sperm reserves" have been depleted, explain the researchers, the man will be temporarily infertile.
Their Grand Challenges Exploration Grant project aims at fine-tuning this technique for maximum effect and safety.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8674380.stm
Old 07-01-2010, 03:32 PM   #8
drewsilla

I think if this actually works it could change the world!
drewsilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:35 PM   #9
d0p3y

This is very good news.

"No todo es blanco o negro, es gris todo depende del matiz..."
(Mago de oz)

"your life does not belong to you, it belongs to the people that love you."
(incognito)

"laying to ones self, is laying to the world"
(incognito)

"El que por su gusto muere, hasta la muerte le sabe."
(incognito)
d0p3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:25 PM   #10
Xombie

This needs to be on the market NOW.
Xombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:40 PM   #11
korinna5555

Neem Oil

Quote:
Neem may become the first truly effective birth control "pill" for men (Riar, 1988). Neem leaf tablets ingested for one month produced reversible male antifertility without affecting sperm production or libido (Deshpande, 1980) (Sadre, 1984). In India and the United States, exploratory trials show neem extracts reduced fertility in male monkeys without inhibiting libido or sperm production (Sharma, et al, 1987).

In a test of neem's birth control effects with members of the Indian Army, daily oral doses of several drops of neem seed oil in gelatin capsules were given to twenty married soldiers. The effect took six weeks to become 100 percent effective, it remained effective during the entire year of the trial and was reversed six weeks after the subjects stopped taking the capsules. During this time the men experienced no adverse side effects and retained their normal capabilities and desires. (Vietmeyer, 1992) There were no pregnancies of any of the wives during the period of the study.

For long term birth control for men it appears that a very minute amount of neem oil injected in the vas deferens provides up to eight months of birth control. The tests revealed no obstructions, no change in testosterone production and no anti-sperm antibodies. The local lymph nodes showed increased ability to respond to infections indicating an immune response may be responsible for the birth control effect in men as it is in women. (Upadhyay, 1993)
I had heard about this a few years ago.. I know a few people whose partners use it in conjunction with cycle charting (knowing when you're ovulating), with excellent results.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:23 PM   #12
viscus

No side effects? That's impossible when we're talking about a chemical in your bloodstream that permeates nearly every tissue in your body. There are always side effects, the question is what are they and how severe are they.

Still, it's about damn time that there was a male contraceptive pill.

"Now some of you may encounter the devil's bargain if you get that far. Any old soul is worth saving at least to a priest, but not every soul is worth buying. So you can take the offer as a compliment."

-William S. Burroughs

You're not entitled to your opinion.
viscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:34 PM   #13
Saya

viscus, where are you these days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by korinna5555 View Post
Neem Oil

I had heard about this a few years ago.. I know a few people whose partners use it in conjunction with cycle charting (knowing when you're ovulating), with excellent results.
There is no reliable study showing that it works at all as a pill: http://www.malecontraceptives.org/methods/others.php

And the only effective ways to administer is a needle to the balls, or if the woman takes as an morning after pill. The people using it with FAM are probably reaping the benefits of FAM. And probably risking organ damage.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:31 AM   #14
Still Jack

Now they just need to invent one that protects from STD's.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:55 AM   #15
Ben Lahnger

You know, I think the idea of a male birth control pill makes sense. It would be a blessing if men were all well-behaved, respectful individuals that cared about their partners and did not lie to them. I really wish there weren't so many predatory men and con artist Casanovas out there. They're the problem, and a majority of the male population, I fear. The pill intrinsically is a brilliant idea.

If I was a woman, unless I knew the guy very, VERY well, I would not trust a man who says, "Don't worry about it, I'm on the pill." Women should probably still use their own protection if they can. Plus, nothing wrong with doubling up and increasing the odds of deterrence. (I say that understanding the claim that this new pill is supposedly 100% effective.)

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 07:23 AM   #16
Dying To Bleed

Thank u Doctors! They must test it on humans ASAP! This is exactly what is needed!
Dying To Bleed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:09 AM   #17
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger View Post
You know, I think the idea of a male birth control pill makes sense. It would be a blessing if men were all well-behaved, respectful individuals that cared about their partners and did not lie to them. I really wish there weren't so many predatory men and con artist Casanovas out there. They're the problem, and a majority of the male population, I fear. The pill intrinsically is a brilliant idea.

If I was a woman, unless I knew the guy very, VERY well, I would not trust a man who says, "Don't worry about it, I'm on the pill." Women should probably still use their own protection if they can. Plus, nothing wrong with doubling up and increasing the odds of deterrence. (I say that understanding the claim that this new pill is supposedly 100% effective.)
I don't think the majority of men are predatory, but its still a great idea. Yeah I wouldn't trust someone I wasn't in a long term relationship with to ONLY go by what he says and use the male birth control pill, but I think a lot of guys have the same fear that the woman isn't taking her pill right. But now you can triple your birth control (everyone is on a pill and condoms for STIs), and each person can be confident at least that on their part they are in control of their fertility.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:49 PM   #18
Solumina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger View Post
I say that understanding the claim that this new pill is supposedly 100% effective.
Yeah that 100% should be taken with a slight grain of salt, much like the rates for other forms of birth control the given rate is generally the rate with perfect ussage. I don't know about with this stuff but with the pill perfect ussage is 99.98% effective but with average ussage it drops to 98%, condoms go from 97% to 93%, because human error happens. So even if Jake was on a male pill I'd stay on my pill as well.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 04:57 PM   #19
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
A new little concern just came up in my mind. The United States birthrate has been dropping last I heard, and we use alot of birth control. I'm starting to wonder, if birth control really does become widespread, what will happen then?

From what has been shown in the United States the people who really have trouble taking birth control are in general very irresponsible, wheras responsible people tend to be very good with birth control. Will irresponsible people eventually completely overtake the responsible population due to their much higher birthrates? It's sort of like natural selection in reverse,instead of the fittest animals breeding more we have the opposite.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 05:02 PM   #20
Deadmanwalking_05

Sterilization for the most part (N.W.O. Plan to get the numbers down to a more "Controllable" size) ,but the main culprit is in G.M.O. Foods,city water supplies,chemical spraying,and Pharmaceutical drugs.

They are trying in a number of different ways,this is just another tool in the box for them use against us.

9x29mmR : The Choice Of Millions for the last 100-107 years.
Deadmanwalking_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 05:29 PM   #21
ape descendant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatus View Post
Will irresponsible people eventually completely overtake the responsible population due to their much higher birthrates? It's sort of like natural selection in reverse,instead of the fittest animals breeding more we have the opposite.
Is responsibility vs irresponsibility a genetic factor? Is it dominant or recessive?

Some people are kinda dumb and just forget or are not thinking rationally and chose to have tons of children that they can't really take care of, financially, emotionally or mentally.

There are also people who choose not to use birth control for religious reasons, and I'm decently sure that religion isn't an issue of nature but more so of nurture, so some of these people may be intelligent and responsible.

However there is a possibility that these concerns are valid, but, what could we really do about it, without enacting some pretty heinous policies?

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 05:42 PM   #22
Solumina

Irresponsible people having more children will actually become less of a problem with better options for birth control as there will be more responsible people who are able to foster children and/or adopt, though yes I do still think irresponsible people breeding is a problem, I just don't think the solution is to have responsible people breed more. After all not everyone who uses birth control doesn't want children, they just don't want to have a baby now. Personally I would love to adopt sometime down the road as the main reason why I don't really want to have a baby is medical.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 06:48 PM   #23
Saya

But responsibility isn't really the main reason people do or don't take birth control. People with better education put off having children or are more likely to remain child free, and the uneducated, poor masses have always bred more than the educated elite. Its not Idiocracy because its always been the way it is. Also, if you don't have insurance or can't afford things like an IUD, you might not get the form of birth control that is best for you. I'm shit at taking the pill a the same time everyday, so I'd never rely on it solely. But I have to wait for insurance to get an IUD (copper IUD is like ninety dollars but the Mirena can be a couple hundred dollars).

But yeah, if its a pill you don't have to remember every day but one every three months? Thats not so bad. The closest women have is Depo Provera which can have very bad side effects.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:38 AM   #24
viscus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
viscus, where are you these days?
Somewhere in orbit.

No, I kinda lost interest in G-net due to all of the idiocy that was being posted, and just not really having that much to say. I still slink back from time to time, though.

"Now some of you may encounter the devil's bargain if you get that far. Any old soul is worth saving at least to a priest, but not every soul is worth buying. So you can take the offer as a compliment."

-William S. Burroughs

You're not entitled to your opinion.
viscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 07:52 AM   #25
Despanan

I think it's kind of irresponsible for that article to claim "no side effects" when the damn thing hasn't been tested on humans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote