Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 11-29-2009, 04:57 PM   #1
the-nihilist

Swiss vote to halt 'Islamisation' by ban on minarets

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...259710051.html
Old 11-29-2009, 06:33 PM   #2
Ophelia's Snorkel

How does banning minarets do anything productive? With only 13 percent of 4.5 percent of the Swiss population even considering themselves observing Muslims - and with no sign of extremism within that tiny percentage - this ban only sows suspicion amongst the citizens, makes Switzerland's reputation take a hit, and salves the fearful, tiny egos of a group of bigots. It's a petty, symbolic "fuck you" and nothing more.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:59 AM   #3
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
I recently had a fierce debate with an idiot who was preaching a bunch of trash about how he thought muslims must be stopped and how Islam is dedicated to the conversion,enslavement(either direct or through taxation), or extermination of all non muslims. Unfortunately he isnt the only one I've encountered who feels this way, it seems to be a rising movement, and frankly I'm rather scared about what might become of this.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 06:13 AM   #4
D0PPLEGANGER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatus View Post
I recently had a fierce debate with an idiot who was preaching a bunch of trash about how he thought muslims must be stopped and how Islam is dedicated to the conversion,enslavement(either direct or through taxation), or extermination of all non muslims. Unfortunately he isnt the only one I've encountered who feels this way, it seems to be a rising movement, and frankly I'm rather scared about what might become of this.
Do you think Turkey should be allowed to join the EU?
D0PPLEGANGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 06:25 AM   #5
D0PPLEGANGER

Don't see what the big deal is.

I've been to Switzerland several times. The cities and towns have a very distinctive flavor. Geneva ain't Istanbul.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:49 AM   #6
Ophelia's Snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by D0PPLEGANGER View Post
Don't see what the big deal is.

I've been to Switzerland several times. The cities and towns have a very distinctive flavor. Geneva ain't Istanbul.
It would be a different thing if the ban had come at this saying, "We have a distinct architectural tradition, and minarets detract from it" - sort of like a HOA on nation-wide steroids; but, instead, the proponents of the ban made it very clear that they want to curb the opportunity for a certain, specific religion to thrive. It's no wonder, with motives like that, that this ban is causing anger and hurt.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:38 AM   #7
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophelia's Snorkel View Post
It would be a different thing if the ban had come at this saying, "We have a distinct architectural tradition, and minarets detract from it" - sort of like a HOA on nation-wide steroids; but, instead, the proponents of the ban made it very clear that they want to curb the opportunity for a certain, specific religion to thrive. It's no wonder, with motives like that, that this ban is causing anger and hurt.
Most definately agreed. Motives are what's causing this to be such a touchy subject. I think they should have gone about it a different way, or at least pretended to. Most laws passed have hidden agenda, but at least you can save some face and choose the LESSER of the fuckheaded reasons to justify banning certain religious symbols.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 05:33 PM   #8
D0PPLEGANGER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophelia's Snorkel View Post
the proponents of the ban made it very clear that they want to curb the opportunity for a certain, specific religion to thrive.
I'm not sure see any problem with this. Swiss people are not Muslims. Naturally they do not want their cities to fundamentally change during the next 25 years like Rotterdam, Bradford and Marseille did.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:27 PM   #9
Ophelia's Snorkel

Did you see the actual statistics? I posted them before, but dont bother scrolling up. 4.5% of the population are Muslim. Of those, 13% are actually practicing Muslims. How that threatens the Swiss way of life is a mystery. Some people's paranoia can be fueled by the tiniest things, though, apparently.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:38 PM   #10
viscus

Stuff like this and California's Prop 8 seriously challenge my faith in democracy.

"Now some of you may encounter the devil's bargain if you get that far. Any old soul is worth saving at least to a priest, but not every soul is worth buying. So you can take the offer as a compliment."

-William S. Burroughs

You're not entitled to your opinion.
viscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:05 AM   #11
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Quote:
Originally Posted by viscus View Post
Stuff like this and California's Prop 8 seriously challenge my faith in democracy.
Why? The democratic process is still there, it's just the voters that are causing the problem. Frankly it could be worse, if the voters didnt get their chance to vote on the subject they might end up taking action themselves, I'd rather keep them organized than give them reason to become a disorganized angry mob.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:57 AM   #12
Beneath the Shadows

Quote:
People using the democratic process to change things they don't like through a popular vote challenges your faith in democracy? What, it's not democracy unless people vote the way you think they should?

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 03:22 PM   #13
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneath the Shadows View Post
People using the democratic process to change things they don't like through a popular vote challenges your faith in democracy? What, it's not democracy unless people vote the way you think they should?
No, it's just not democracy being utilized in a way I agree with. No one said it's not democracy, just that it's depressing.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 08:21 AM   #14
Stormtrooper of Death

Quote:

Agreed, the people who vote to ban gay mariage are some of the stupidest people I've ever met.