Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 12-24-2009, 04:35 PM   #76
Lochnar

I have never read truly scary fiction...the closest I can come is "The Descent" by Jeff Long and "Midnight" by Dean Koontz. Oh and one line from the Stand...something like "his fingernails peeled back wetly" creeped me out. But that's more disgust not fear.
Lochnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 04:38 PM   #77
Foxtrot

I'll have to go with "1984" by George Orwell. It can actually happen.
Foxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:04 AM   #78
Wolve

I am not sure about the scariest, but "The Tell-Tale Heart creeped me out the first time I read it. I was extremely young and I am completely neurotic so I am sure that has everything to do with it, but by the end I was hearing the friggan heart myself for hours.

Also, on the Orwell line:

The Lord of the Flies was just completely disturbing. The concept of innocence being corrupted to that degree was just disturbing.

And though I adore it; the artworks of H. R. Geiger can be quite disturbing (yet beautiful) as well.
Wolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 02:43 PM   #79
Imaginarygreenthunder

Shade of the tree by piers anthony. *shudder*
Imaginarygreenthunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 04:16 PM   #80
Saya

Forgot about Lord Of The Flies, is scary in a similar way that 1984 is I guess, I think disturbing might be a better word.

Haven't read anything bone chilling lately, although I reread Let The Right One In and it raised my blood pressure but overall it didn't scare me (well the r@pist faceless vampire at the end was a frightening image, it reminded me of a Silent Hill monster. Silent Hill scares me more than anything.) And the short story Survivor Type by Stephen King made me incredibly squeamish. I could barely finish it I thought it was that disgusting. Completely lost my appetite for hours.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:29 AM   #81
zerademark

Stephen King's "The Pet Sanctuary" (dunno if this is the correct translation, I've only read the dutch translation) gave me the creeps.
3 It is not "You and me", instead it is "Me and you". At the same time "M" is capitalized.
zerademark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:31 PM   #82
ph03nix

Quote:
Originally Posted by iroti View Post
I've read a lot of horror fiction, but nothing has succeeded to scare me. Maybe I should take some of the books off here.

Honestly, the only thing that ever genuinely creeped me out, and still does is the artwork in those "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark". The art is by Alvin something, but it always irked me. :x
OMG! I thought I was the only one that thought that! I used to read those books a long time ago, and those images are what kept me up at night. (The story of the dead woman coming out the basement, and the half cat, half woman stories in particular)
ph03nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:23 PM   #83
synthetic-xlora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despanan View Post
Honestly? Coraline.

I don't read horror very often (if at all) But that book was fucking freaky.
Though it wasn't very frightening, yeah, Coraline was a pretty messed up children's novel. It certaintly stuck with me after I finished it.

This is a good thread- I haven't read enough horror novels. I can get some good ideas on what to read here.
synthetic-xlora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:25 PM   #84
JethroAranas

1408. stephen king. so weird and sooo freaking creepy. ughhhh.
JethroAranas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 01:48 AM   #85
Angelic Dissonance

Pet Semetary. Stephen King.

Also, maybe.... Pickman's Model, by Lovecraft? A classic by the father of Horror and Science Fiction---and a Damn good fantasy writer. Anyone read The Dream-Quest of Unkown Kadath?
Freaking
AMAZING.

I used to listen to audio-tapes of his stories, as a little kid on WRFL, the college station.... 88.1 FM. I remember it being, like, 2:00 or 3:00, and listening to The Thing on The Doorstep. God, those were the days.
Angelic Dissonance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 01:08 PM   #86
DarkestSunrise

Ooh, I've got one no one has mentioned. I only found it because it's set locally so it was out on a table at a local bookstore- It's "The Year of Past Things" by M. A Harper. I'd never been scared by a book until I read that about two years ago. It is wonderfully creepy! I lent it to a few people who said they didn't think much of it from reading the jacket but ended up not wanting to read it when they were alone. Good stuff.
DarkestSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:41 PM   #87
Vlh

The Tommyknockers by Stephen King. Scared me to no end, still can't think of it without shuddering. None of his other books were as bad, just this one.
Vlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:09 PM   #88
Heretic

American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis

At first I was simply uncomfortable with a story in which the author puts you inside the mind of a serial killer. But about halfway through, it became progressively frightening before finally hitting terror at the end of the book. Was it the gore? The things the main character was willing to do? Nope; the terrifying thing about this book is how you start to identify and think like the character. The author somehow manages to bend your mind bit by bit until the main character's twisted, distorted view of humanity becomes, briefly, yours.

I was sleepless, physically ill, and depressed by the time I finished that book. I've never found another one that affected me like that. Read it if you feel you must, but be warned.

As for straight, run-of-the-mill chills, I'd have to go with the short story "The Boogeyman" by Stephen King, from the short story collection "Night Shift". The twist ending freaked me right the fuck out when I was a kid and served as my gateway drug to the rest of his work, as well as numerous other horror authors.

- Heretic
Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:51 PM   #89
ape descendant

I felt rather ill while I was reading 1984....

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:51 AM   #90
lady_cthulhu

"Freak Legion", from the Old World of Darkness roleplaying series. It's really just a roleplaying guide, but it had me so paranoid I was afraid of my own bathroom for MONTHS. Just google 'freakfeet' and you'll see what I mean.

The only other story that ever truly scared me was "The Dreams in the Witch-House" by H.P. Lovecraft. Brown Jenkins is the reason I surround myself with cats at night. Forever.
lady_cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:35 AM   #91
bear vs bear

Yeah, I agree with Heretic on American Psycho.
At some points I wanted to vomit. I didn't want to finish the book and it would stay on my shelf for a few weeks before I could resume reading it. It's a book I'll most likely never read again.

Another book was Crash. JG Ballard. Maybe it wasn't so creepy when you got into it, but, the sexual fetishism regarding car crashes were gut turning and disturbing. Had to return it - Ended up buying American Psycho instead. Which, once again, was a mistake.
bear vs bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:43 AM   #92
Pineapple_Juice

American Psycho made me feel physically nauseated.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:55 PM   #93
Athanos

Dracula, when I was 15. It doesn't hold up, but my memory of the fear does
Athanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:22 PM   #94
Scion of Patria

I really didn't like American Psycho but that was mostly because I didn't like the writing style. I did finally stop reading it when he murdered the gay guy and his dog.

I read Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark when I was younger. The illustrations were what really added to the scare factor.
Scion of Patria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:47 PM   #95
aisehino

Frankenstein sorta freaked me out, not through the contact but the social commentary. I had to do a paper on it in year 12 and it just left me hating humanity, which shocked me.

I can't really think of any that have caused pant wetting style fear.
aisehino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:10 AM   #96
Aeryka

The Rats in the Walls by H.P. Lovecraft.
Aeryka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:56 AM   #97
Vladimir Lessard

I would not say they scared me but they are extreme novels:

Haunted (2005) by Chuck Palahniuk. A a collection of 24 fictional short stories filled with some violent and graphic imagery.

Knuckle Supper (2010) by Drew Stepek. An unforgiving, vicious and realistic horror story. Stepek explores chemical dependency, inner-city brutality, religion, molestation, abortion and the very nature of evil itself—the evil not necessarily being the undead.
Vladimir Lessard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:43 PM   #98
Geoluhread

I have never read anything that made me nauseated. Ever.

I read some sick shit though, I wasn't scared but I was amazed by the creativity of the author mainly.
The sickest thing I've read was In the Miso Soup. Oh man, half way through the book where the main .. ehm .. "event" takes place, I didn't think much of the book, but then it hit me. This book is awesome.

Another book gave me strange disconnected-from-reality feelings (although the content itself was very ordinary and not at all sick, mostly) was a book by Haruki Murakami called The Wind-up Bird Chronicle.
"I've an idea. Why don't we play a little game. Let's pretend that we're human beings, and that we're actually alive. Just for a while. What do you say? Let's pretend we're human. Oh, brother, it's such a long time since I was with anyone who got enthusiastic about anything."
Jack Osborne

add me on
Geoluhread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:49 PM   #99
Saya

Oh, Stephen King has some really gross stories, I can't remember which anthology it was or the name of the story, buts its about a surgeon who crash lands on a desert island and eats himself. I couldn't eat for the rest of the day after I read that.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:45 PM   #100
Class-Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by iroti View Post
Honestly, the only thing that ever genuinely creeped me out, and still does is the artwork in those "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark". The art is by Alvin something, but it always irked me. :x
This comes to mind.. too bad they changed the artwork. When I was a kid, I couldn't stop reading those books, even though they completely creeped me out.

Click for Trauma!
Class-Punk is offline   Reply With Quote