Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 01-05-2006, 10:20 AM   #1
horrorgirl

Any other horror movie fanatics here?

Are there any other horror film fanatics around here? If so who is your favorite horror director,movie,etc....?

My favorite directors are Dario Argento,Terrence Fisher and George A. Romero. I love Hammer Studio horror films and I am beginning to collect original movie posters from some of their films. I don't like the major franchise films(Friday The 13th,Freddy,etc...) that much even though I am gaining more respect for them.I tend to like older horror films more than the new ones being released. I don't like Asian horror films at all because I find them to be really slow and plodding. I understand that they have a lot of fans but they don't do anything for me.

Favorite horror films in no particular order:

Susperia(one of the best horror films ever made)
Dawn Of The Dead (the original, not the remake)
Omen
Horror Of Dracula
Theater Of Blood(favorite Vincent Price movie)

I'm gothtastically delicious!
horrorgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 11:46 AM   #2
Darkdruid

I love horror films. I grew up with Hammer Horror so love them despite their failings. I do love Asian horror. Favourite films is a difficult one as this varies all the time. At the moment I would say
Switchblade Romance
Blade 2
Dracula (1931)
Dracula (1992)
Ringu
Ginger Snaps
Dracula prince of Darkness
Underworld
Near Dark
Darkdruid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 04:37 PM   #3
horrorgirl

I haven't seen a Troma movie in ages. I think the last film I saw by them was Class Of Nuke Em High.

Old 01-05-2006, 08:28 PM   #4
Bluepulse

Horror Girl~what about "May" ..your avatar. I thought that was a great movie. I also thought Angela Bettis could've won best actress for the role of May Dove Canady. I have a few favorites:
The Haunting (1963)
Saw I
28 Days Later...
Pumpkinhead (1989)
Jacob's Ladder (1990)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
Exorcist (the audiobook; read by the author is scary as HEll)
Brotherhood of the Wolf (2001)
The Devil's Rejects

I've never seen susperia, but I will have to check that one out.
Bluepulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 09:11 PM   #5
horrorgirl

I really like May A lot. In fact I just watched it again recently.

Susperia is one of the most scary movies I have ever seen. Somebody is remaking it so make sure to see the original before they screw it up.

I am so sick of horror remakes.

Old 01-05-2006, 09:22 PM   #6
Bluepulse

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorgirl
I really like May A lot. In fact I just watched it again recently.

Susperia is one of the most scary movies I have ever seen. Somebody is remaking it so make sure to see the original before they screw it up.

I am so sick of horror remakes.
I'll add Susperia to my netflix que. It sounds interesting.
Bluepulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 10:40 PM   #7
AlKilyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkdruid
I love horror films. I grew up with Hammer Horror so love them despite their failings. I do love Asian horror.

Ringu
Ah great taste, although as a fan of horror movies the Hammer series just bore the everloving piss out of me. The stuffy dialog and slow plotting with little payoff never made me a fan.

If you like jhorror, beisdes Ju-On/The Grudge, I suggest
Kairo/Pulse before the remake comes out in a few months (remake trailer | remake official site) although it looks to me like they included all the best moments from the original.

Just out of curiosity, where are they showing Haute Tension as Switchblade Romance?
AlKilyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 11:07 AM   #8
Darkdruid

UK title is Switchblade Romance.
Darkdruid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 11:31 AM   #9
cyberJade

Generally, I enjoy watching horror movies of all sorts. Recently, my sister borrowed this movie titled, "Cursed''. Christina Ricci stars in it, and its about werewolves. I was being optimistic about the movie but it just failed to impress. The whole plot sucks.
There, a movie review...
cyberJade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 11:34 AM   #10
horrorgirl

Cursed was one of the worst movies that me and my boyfriend have ever rented. The plot was bad, the effects awful(if you are going to rely on CGI at least make it look good), and the acting bad.

Old 01-08-2006, 06:46 PM   #11
Underwater Ophelia

I enjoy George Romero as well. I think my favorite "of the dead" movie is Day of the Dead. I just got that for my boyfriend who is a HUGE zombie fan.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 03:06 PM   #12
Loy

Al-the reasons to watch Hammer films are 1-the brilliant use of color (which seems an indirect influence on Dario Argentos experiments with the technicolor process in "suspiria"), 2-the best roles in Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing's careers, and 3-the massive amounts of mammaries....actually, I really love the Terrence Fischer films for the studios (especially "Frankenstein Created Woman" and "the Devil Rides Out")

Ophelia-the ironic thing about Romero's "Dead" films is that, whilst they're the films he's most known for, they're also the ones he doesn't care that much about. Though I consider "Night Of The Living Dead" one of the greatest films ever made, I do agree with him about "Martin" and "The Crazies" as his best works (and really, who doesn't love "Knightriders"?)
Old 01-09-2006, 03:51 PM   #13
Underwater Ophelia

I have yet to see any of his films that aren't horror. I'm not really a Romero fan, just a horror fan. I'd like to see more of his work, though, just to know what it's like.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 05:45 PM   #14
Beowulf

I love the older Horror films especially the films made by The Hammer studio, and the `Universal Monster` series of films, and some of the German expressionist films such as `Nosferatu` and `The Cabinet of Dr Caligari`.

Here are some of my favourite films:

Bride of Frankenstein (1933)

Dracula (1931)

Frankenstein (1932)

The Black Cat (1934)

The Phantom of the opera (1925) with Lon Chaney

Countess Dracula

The Vampire lovers (adapted from the `Carmilla` story)

The Devil Rides Out

The Mummy (1933)

Braindead

Twins of Evil

The Haunting (The Original)

Blood from the mummys tomb

Dracula AD 1972

Bram Stokers Dracula (1992)

Nosferatu

The Wolfman (1941)

The Evil of Frankenstein

to name a few...
live the gods of yesterday.

Be excellent to one another !!!.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 07:33 PM   #15
cannibalnuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf
I love the older Horror films especially the films made by The Hammer studio, and the `Universal Monster` series of films, and some of the German expressionist films such as `Nosferatu` and `The Cabinet of Dr Caligari`.
I agree with that, nothing beats the classics. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari is most excellent.
Firmness in enduring and exertion is a character I always wish to possess. I have always despised the whining yelp of complaint and cowardly resolve.- Robert Burns
cannibalnuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 07:58 PM   #16
Circle V

Perhaps it isn't a true horror movie, but I really like Alien. Aliens is quite good as well, though it is more of an action/sci-fi movie than a horror/sci-fi flick. The last two in the "quadrilogy" are quite terrible.
Old 01-11-2006, 01:41 PM   #17
Beowulf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circle V
Perhaps it isn't a true horror movie, but I really like Alien. Aliens is quite good as well, though it is more of an action/sci-fi movie than a horror/sci-fi flick. The last two in the "quadrilogy" are quite terrible.
I agree with you Circle V, They are a good series of films, I remember watching Alien for the first time when I was twelve (it was on tv) and being scared...bloody scared.

Aliens is the best, and my favourite out of the series, James Cameron did a fantastic job, he is one of my top ten directors. Which version of Aliens do you prefer, the original version, or the Directors cut ?. I

Old 02-05-2006, 12:43 PM   #18
Haunted House

Night of the Living Dead (1968) is my favorite movie, ever. I feel that Romero's 'Dead' films have gone down hill with each sequil but I still like them all a lot. *sigh* Yes... even Land of the Dead.
Old 02-05-2006, 01:23 PM   #19
rubygloommel

Location: Cottingley, in bradford, west yorkshire, crappy wet england.
fatal frame aka project zero

in november (dont ask how i know so far ahead) a movie called fatal frame is coming out, its asian horror, and its about a girl called miku who goes into a mansion, looking for her brother armed only with a camera that seals ghosts souls inside the photos, ask me for more info and read my post about project zero coz its the same thing except project zero is the game, the movie is based entirely on the game and the game is called fatal frame in the us though, i hope all that made sense, im all kerfuddled O_o never mind
WWW.CAMERASLENS.COM
(im so happy, that site confirmed that courtney webb wasnt doing the main role (miku) i want an asian actor dammit!)
rubygloommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 02:22 PM   #20
cannibalnuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorgirl
Favorite horror films in no particular order:

Susperia(one of the best horror films ever made)
Dawn Of The Dead (the original, not the remake)
Omen
Horror Of Dracula
Theater Of Blood(favorite Vincent Price movie)
Nice selection.

Vincent Price is among my favourites.
Firmness in enduring and exertion is a character I always wish to possess. I have always despised the whining yelp of complaint and cowardly resolve.- Robert Burns
cannibalnuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 10:31 AM   #21
WolfMoon

I've always been partial to Vincent Price's movies.

Some of my favorites, til I buy some more:

1) House of Wax ~ Loved it! I love the creepy guys who fall in love with stuff...er....yeah. One of my favorite parts of the movie is when the main character is talking to her room mate. The room mate( I forget her name ATM) has a corset on and my eyes are just riveted to the screen when she's on it.

*le sigh*

2) The Bat ~ You think you've got it solved and BAM! A twist at the end, I love twisted things. I can tell that it's tall-dark-and- handsome's frame in the costume of 'The Bat'.

3)The House On Haunted Hill ~ It's just classic. I jump everytime I watch this one despite having seen it several times. I also love the use of the hearses in the beginning of the movie. I love older hearses, they're just harder to find and maintain than newer ones.
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 01:59 PM   #22
Beowulf

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfMoon
I've always been partial to Vincent Price's movies.

Some of my favorites, til I buy some more:

1) House of Wax ~ Loved it! I love the creepy guys who fall in love with stuff...er....yeah. One of my favorite parts of the movie is when the main character is talking to her room mate. The room mate( I forget her name ATM) has a corset on and my eyes are just riveted to the screen when she's on it.

*le sigh*

2) The Bat ~ You think you've got it solved and BAM! A twist at the end, I love twisted things. I can tell that it's tall-dark-and- handsome's frame in the costume of 'The Bat'.

3)The House On Haunted Hill ~ It's just classic. I jump everytime I watch this one despite having seen it several times. I also love the use of the hearses in the beginning of the movie. I love older hearses, they're just harder to find and maintain than newer ones.
Thinks...

Does Wolfie own, and drive around in a hearse ?

Old 03-09-2006, 07:03 PM   #23
Wraths_Hell

I *love* horror movies ^_^

My favorite ones:
SAW
SAW II
Wraths_Hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 03:03 PM   #24
CreepyTendencies

I'm a huge horror fan. Some of my favorites include:

Both Saw films
Halloween
Friday the 13th
Ginger Snaps (all 3)
The Romero trilogy
The Fog (original)
Madhouse
Boo
Cube

And for horror/comedy:
Shaun of the Dead
Army of Darkness
Dead & Breakfast
2001 Maniacs
CreepyTendencies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 03:29 PM   #25
Oubliette

I'm quite fond of horror when it's combined with comedy (The Burbs, Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, The Lost Boys, Maximum Overdrive, Love at First Bite, Edward Scissorhands). Some straight up horror I enjoyed was Amityville Horror, Darkness, The Shining, Pet Cemmetary, Creep Show, Night of the Living Dead, Frailty, 28 Days Later, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Friday the 13th (the first only, I'm not much for sequels),Frankenstein and there are many others that I either haven't seen yet, or can't remember at the moment. So yes I could be considered a fanatic.

"Can't we all just get a bong?"-Wolfie-
Oubliette is offline   Reply With Quote