Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 11-18-2007, 05:54 PM   #1
black_heart

this is me

I just read the 'For the newbies' thread on the Fashion section and it said to write in the introduction before making your own thread:
'Do not make your own thread. First, get a goddamn clue and see if there is one already made that consists of the gist of your *sic* original thought'
...but oh well I hate doing what others tell me to do. I really don't think this site should have so many rules about 'n00bs', the person who wrote that should be able to empathise as they were one once. But yeah...

Here's the boring stuff, Hi. My name is Nicole but I prefer to be called Nic. I am from Cardiff which is in South Wales which is in the UK. I wouldn't class myself as goth, although I believe I have the mentality and music taste. I like a wide variety of music mainly due to my parents love of music. I like everything from Pink Floyd to Limp Bizkit to melodic death metal bands like Kalmah and Amon Amarth. I love vintage clothing particularly victorian-esque and 70's. Very odd choices there. I am not a very positive person and it's my main let down. However, my boyfriend has put up with imy negativity & paranoia for nearly two years. If I'm going to get personal here I've found that my self loathing has derived from a medical condition I have that affects me psychologically more than anything, making me turn in away from the world. However, it has formed my personality and I feel more in tune spiritually and I feel a better person because of this minor suffering.

I am a second year university student and I study Media Studies and Popular Culture which has been criticised as being an easy subject to study. I don't want to get married on the basis of my parent's relationship. I don't feel I belong to this forum because I don't see myself as a goth in lifestyle or clothing in particular so I might leave soon. In saying that, I have gained a friend through this site which is great considering I only joined last week and thought me getting a friend would be highly unlikely.

I would dress more goth if I was more comfortable with my body... but I simply can't and it's a shame. My mistake on here was that I posted my own thread in the Fashion section about how I was too ugly to dress in gothic clothing. This sparked a lot of criticism and anger towards me, but some comments were helpful and gave me some good advice.

So far I have found the site interesting and I like reading the topics and leaving my own contribution. Hmm, what else to say... oh I'm 19, I like animals, I'm trying to be a vegetarian, I like cartoons, I'm alive, I believe in God but not religion (hypocritical maybe?) and I analyse too much.

Bye, have a nice day
Nic
black_heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 06:04 PM   #2
Breathless Horror

Welcome to the forums! I'm liking the Floyd, but you do realize that none of those bands are goth right? I'm not getting on your case, as I listened almost exclusivly to metal when I first came here. I'm just letting you know, because you will be verbally shot if you start any "OMG liek COF is so GAWTH" threads. I'm not saying you will, just providing an example.

If you're interested in goth music, check out the music forum. I would personally recommend Siouxsie and the Banshees, Christian Death, and Cinema Strange.

You seem nice and fairly intelligent, so enjoy your stay!

A prank a day keeps the dog leash away - Jello Biafra

I want your skulls! I NEED your skulls! - Misfits
Breathless Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 06:27 PM   #3
Wormboy

black_heart, you seem very nice. Please stick around, will you please? We have cookies!

Kontan - "Eventually, you ended up looking like the freaking grim reaper towards the end of the game.
Now we got this cracked out jungle hobo...."
Wormboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 06:29 PM   #4
Breathless Horror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormboy
black_heart, you seem very nice. Please stick around, will you please? We have cookies!
Can I have one too? Oh wait! They're not the "special" cookies made up by Molly are they?!?! *recoils in horror*

A prank a day keeps the dog leash away - Jello Biafra

I want your skulls! I NEED your skulls! - Misfits
Breathless Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 06:30 PM   #5
Green.Lady

Hey there. You don't seem very happy, and I hope that things will get better for you.

I hope you like gnet. I'm crossing my fingers that people will be nice so you'll decide to stick around. Welcome!
Deliver me a paper
Green.Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 06:43 PM   #6
d.Nox

Stick around, please! We don't get enough decent newbies to let one slip through our claw-ringed fingers...

And so what if you don't dress goth, or use that label? There's more than a few here who don't; all that matters is if you enjoy the conversations here. Which I hope you do...

[quote]I believe in God but not religion (hypocritical maybe?){/QUOTE]

Reverse it, and then it's hypocritical. As is, join the club...
d.Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 06:49 PM   #7
Stormtrooper of Death

Hello guv'ner! Cheer up, things always come around. I truly do love England. I plan on moving there after I get my degree in Audio Production. All in all, hope you stick around.
Stormtrooper of Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 08:39 PM   #8
StasisInDarkness

"Cheer up, honey I hope you can..." -Wilco

For whatever reason, as I read your post and those following it, this is what came to mind. But I know exactly where you are (at least I think I do...) and as such, please, stick around. I feel as though we have quite a bit to offer you!

Much love,
-me
StasisInDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 08:59 AM   #9
black_heart

Breathless Horror of course I know they aren't goth... I used those bands as an example of what music I like. I thought Siouxsie Sioux looked goth but didn't think her music sounded it... or does it not matter? Um so what other music would you class as goth then? Yeah I don't talk like that and would never do so. I actually repsect the English language. And Cradle of filth are okay, I'm not a huge fan but I like a fair amount of songs. But I am fond of Danni Filth's accent and smallness I must admit.
I'm really crap figuring out what genre is what, particularly with goth or metal or alternative, I basically don't know what I'm talking about. But if I like a song then I just like it... I don't like labels anyway.
Tchuss!
Old 11-20-2007, 09:01 AM   #10
black_heart

PS - yay! thanks for accepting me.. t'was nice of you all
Old 11-20-2007, 08:44 PM   #11
Green.Lady

...if Siouxsie doesn't sound goth, what does?
Deliver me a paper
Green.Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 11:44 PM   #12
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green.Lady
...if Siouxsie doesn't sound goth, what does?
Maybe she just listened to Mantaray.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 01:29 AM   #13
Mon Coeur Noir

Hello! Hope you enjoy yourself here.
Mon Coeur Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 03:45 AM   #14
Delkaetre

Welcome, enjoy your time here and make sure you save money up for Gotham, Whitby, Aviemore or Woolstock so you can sample some real live goth bands!
Bands you may consider investigating that will be playing live in Cardiff over the next several months include
-The Cardiacs at Clwb lfor Bach on Friday 23rd November
-The October Country at the Salisbury Hotel on 21st December
-Deathstars at the International Arena on 17th January
-Marc Almond at St David's Hall on 13th February
-Turisas at Clwb lfor Bach on 11th March
That's by no means a great indication of goth music, but it should at least show you a variety of things that goths listen to! Cardiff doesn't seem to get much live music, I'm afraid.

Siouxie may not initially sound goth to many people- consider most trad goth bands sound like Bauhaus, Christian Death and Depeche Mode. Eccentric and experimental alt-rock with distinctly male vocals and gloomy overtones. By contrast, Siouxie's bright, lively, distinctly female, quite poppy at times, and doesn't have quite such downbeat sounds. Siouxie's got more in common with the Human League than with Bauhaus if you consider it in purely auditory terms! But she's the Grandmother of Goth, so take it as proof that 'goth' music can be pretty varied.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 04:10 AM   #15
Nevan

Your intro reads like a resumé - or like listening to a 'this is my life' speech - nice.

*and that's meant as a compliment - in case it sounds like sarcasm*

Alas! Must it ever be so?
Do we stand in our own light, wherever we go,
And fight our own shadows forever?
- Edward Bulwer-Lytton
Nevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 11:01 AM   #16
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
DEPECHE MODE!!!!! Welcome.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 11:03 AM   #17
black_heart

Nevan, I usually babble about my whole life to complete strangers. Years and years of me being an introvert has made me feel like I have no personality so I open up to people as often as I can. Sorry!
Old 11-21-2007, 09:59 PM   #18
Nevan

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_heart
Nevan, I usually babble about my whole life to complete strangers. Years and years of me being an introvert has made me feel like I have no personality so I open up to people as often as I can. Sorry!
Oi! I said I meant it as a compliment! Why apologize?
Also, telling your whole life story to a stranger is often more liberating than letting a secret out to your best friend, right?

Alas! Must it ever be so?
Do we stand in our own light, wherever we go,
And fight our own shadows forever?
- Edward Bulwer-Lytton
Nevan is offline   Reply With Quote