Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:39 AM   #1
Altemese

Talking Religion

this has been running through my mind for a while. and i just wanted you all opinion on this matter.

"does it matter what religion you are apart of to be labeled as gothic?"

cause i was raised as one of jehovah's witnesses. and my parents hammer me about the choice of music and clothes and friends that i choose. but i think it doesn't matter. but i just wanted another opinion on this subject.
Altemese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:46 AM   #2
Tam Li Hua

Nope. There's Goths of every kind of religion out there. Most 'norms' tend to think that anyone dressed Goth is either a witch or a Satan worshipper, but this simply isn't true.

Being Goth is about loving the music, mostly, and dressing the part secondly. Religion is an entirely different thing, based on what you believe to be true [or not true] about the Spiritual Realm.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:18 AM   #3
Man In Room 5

This subject has been done to death here. Every few months someone wants to revive this debate but nothing new is ever said. Check out the old posts or use the search feature and you'll find a lot of interesting results and spare the rest of us the PITA that these threads usually become.
Man In Room 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:21 AM   #4
Altemese

it's just that sometimes, people think that if you are a goth you are apart of a coven, and drink blood, and worship satan. and i just believe that a person is goth because they have been casted out by normal day to day life. and we refuse to accept things because some one said so. and we are free thinkers. i have just ran into people who think that all goths are going to hell and will burn for ever.
like i'm an african american. i graduating from an all black high school. and they think just because i'm black i can't be interested in different things such as gothism. (hope i spelled that right) they thought i just should like **** music, and i do like **** music. i like country, i like jazz, hell i even like celin dion. but religion is a touchy subject.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:48 AM   #5
Tam Li Hua

Religion's a touchy subject with -anyone-. And folks have had the wrong idea about Goths since the beginning. It's up to us to change their minds.

I think people become Goth for different reasons. [PM me if you want to know my reason.]

I would like rap a lot better if the lyrics weren't all about greed, b*tches & hoes, and big butts. [I like some of the stuff Adult Swim puts out, because it's not the typical rap stuff.]
Old 02-27-2009, 08:55 AM   #6
Altemese

i figured that this subject has been done to death on here. but at the time i was not a used of G.net. but i will check out the others opinion in the search.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:15 AM   #7
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam Li Hua
Most 'norms' tend to think that anyone dressed Goth is either a witch or a Satan worshipper, but this simply isn't true.
It's also not true that most people think goths are devil worshipers.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:16 AM   #8
Altemese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
It's also not true that most people think goths are devil worshipers.
i believe she was just saying that based upon her own life experiences.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:21 AM   #9
Tam Li Hua

Altemese: Actually, no one's ever accused me of Satanism or witchcraft. Mostly I just get "Why do you like black so much?" and "Oh wow, I really like that dress! Where did you get it?!"

Jillian: That's what I said. "Normal" people, as in people who aren't Goth.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:22 AM   #10
Godslayer Jillian

And it's still a lie that most of them think goths are devil worshipers. Most of them know better than to cast judgment on such an inconsequential scene.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:24 AM   #11
Tam Li Hua

You're right, Jilly.

BTW, love the mohawk.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:26 AM   #12
Altemese

Quote:
Altemese: Actually, no one's ever accused me of Satanism or witchcraft. Mostly I just get "Why do you like black so much?" and "Oh wow, I really like that dress! Where did you get it?!"

Jillian: That's what I said. "Normal" people, as in people who aren't Goth.
yeah, i know what you mean with the "why do you were so much black?" but i think it just makes me look a couple of pounds lighter
Old 02-27-2009, 09:30 AM   #13
Godslayer Jillian

Peter Murphy is a Suffi Muslim

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 02-27-2009, 09:40 AM   #14
JCC

Quote:
I would like rap a lot better if the lyrics weren't all about greed, b*tches & hoes, and big butts. [I like some of the stuff Adult Swim puts out, because it's not the typical rap stuff.]
Very little hip hop is about greed, bitches, hoes and big butts. I was expecting your reasons for not liking hip hop to be idiotic.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:04 AM   #15
Slap Your Love

Quote:
You're right, Jilly.

BTW, love the mohawk.
Roflamo!
________
Old 02-27-2009, 01:22 PM   #16
Necrophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
Peter Murphy is a Suffi Muslim
Interesting....

I am the Antiproduct!

There is, they say, no fool like an old fool - Golding.

" All the war-propaganda, all the screaming and lies and hatred, comes invariably from people who are not fighting." - Orwell.
Necrophagist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 02:16 PM   #17
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:

Wait, are you serious?
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 02:34 PM   #18
Catch

Any religon is great for Goth as Goth and religon both focus on death.

How is a limosine different from Joan Rivers? Not everyone has been in a limosine
Old 02-27-2009, 02:37 PM   #19
Alarica

Dont you have windows to lick?

I was a vegetarian until I lost my virginity, and a wise man said to me 'do you not feel guilty now, having had all that meat inside you?'
Alarica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 03:42 PM   #20
Necrophagist

No she doesn't. She had another psychopathic fit and smashed them all.

I am the Antiproduct!

There is, they say, no fool like an old fool - Golding.

" All the war-propaganda, all the screaming and lies and hatred, comes invariably from people who are not fighting." - Orwell.
Necrophagist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 04:58 PM   #21
MegearaErotica

Quote:

I would like rap a lot better if the lyrics weren't all about greed, b*tches & hoes, and big butts.
That's all top chart mainstream crap. You should look into some less known artists.
Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you. If I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away.
-Monty Python and the Holy Grail
MegearaErotica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 05:48 PM   #22
~Angel_Of_Darkness~

I'm not even religious and my family all thinks its the music and whatever else that's been causing me to wear black and denounce religion. Whatever. Anyway:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altemese
like i'm an african american. i graduating from an all black high school. and they think just because i'm black i can't be interested in different things such as gothism. (hope i spelled that right) they thought i just should like **** music, and i do like **** music. i like country, i like jazz, hell i even like celin dion. but religion is a touchy subject.
Off topic: but its interesting to know that I'm not the only half-african on here who isn't white as chalk (although I'd like to be.) AND not the only person who thinks you can listen to whatever you want (e.g. non-gothic rock) and still be 'goth'.
"And as always, innocent like roller coasters. Fatality is like ghosts in snow and you have no idea what you're up against because I've seen what they look like. Becoming perfect as if they were sterling silver chainsaws going cascading......."
~Angel_Of_Darkness~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 05:57 PM   #23
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Angel_Of_Darkness~
I'm not even religious and my family all thinks its the music and whatever else that's been causing me to wear black and denounce religion. Whatever. Anyway:

Off topic: but its interesting to know that I'm not the only half-african on here who isn't white as chalk (although I'd like to be.) AND not the only person who thinks you can listen to whatever you want (e.g. non-gothic rock) and still be 'goth'.
Um.
Pretty much everyone on this website thinks you can listen to non gothic music and be goth.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:05 PM   #24
Cicero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
Um.
Pretty much everyone on this website thinks you can listen to non gothic music and be goth.
I think she meant that you don't have to listen to any gothic music and still be goth. Which makes it a rather pointless label.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:11 PM   #25
~Angel_Of_Darkness~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
Um.
I guess I'm just unpopular then, since I get bashed for anything non-gothic that I listen to. :-/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero
I think she meant that you don't have to listen to any gothic music and still be goth. Which makes it a rather pointless label.
Well sort of. I meant it both ways, really. (I don't think that someone MUST listen to gothic music to be goth, but I'm not getting into that)
"And as always, innocent like roller coasters. Fatality is like ghosts in snow and you have no idea what you're up against because I've seen what they look like. Becoming perfect as if they were sterling silver chainsaws going cascading......."
~Angel_Of_Darkness~ is offline   Reply With Quote