Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 08-24-2004, 11:26 PM   #226
AlKilyu

Ooh...Dans ma peau. Xnguela DON'T WATCH! Also, anyone currently into self mutualation. Or is it a good movie for them to see? It's like May meets Ravenous, without the happy ending.
AlKilyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 05:49 PM   #227
Jane13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbreadwench
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane13
Has anyone seen thae show "Mystery Science Theater 3000"? So often I am reminded of a scene where these kids are dancing. The malt-shop owner comes out from behind the counter and says "No dancing! Not allowed!", so the robots say, "No acting! Not allowed!".
One of the best shows ever. EVER. Unfortunately, I can no longer catch it on. Is it available anywhere on DVD? I need to check on that...
Tom Servo is the coolest
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Jane13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 12:20 AM   #228
HerGhostInTheFog

i saw "The Birdcage" yesterday for the first time... i know... how couldn't i have seen it. i havnt seen very many movies
HerGhostInTheFog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 07:53 PM   #229
.BatteryPoison.

Beyond Borders

Oh the irony of this film - an anorexic woman travels to Ethiopia to feed starving people. This movie, set in the mid 80s, is the epitome of the middle class fad to donate money to third world countries and help make the world a better place by picking up trash and all that hooba jooba back when Phil Collins was preaching this kind of shit. Of course it centers around middle class yuppy narcissism, where the real motivation to help out the world lies in the fact that it helps the main character sleep better at night.

It's mostly a downer film, where you see the awful living conditions of third world nations in the midst of wars or political struggles. The only interesting facet came when the doctor setting up these AID camps is offered funding by the CIA, on the condition that they ship in guns and intellegence information through their crates of food and whatnot. Of course the CIA operative that contacts the doctor has absolutely no problem telling everyone and their brother that he's CIA. Whatever. The implification that he entered Afghanistan and supplied weapons for the Mujahideen, which was not done by the CIA at all... not even in covert operations... showed how much the writer knew about the subject matter. That was all handled by the ISI and required none of our guys to be putting themselves at risk taking them in.

Anyways... that being the one interesting direction this film took, it really kept stumbling over itself so much that it began to read like a fairy-tale. At one point, the CIA operative, while talking with Jolie, continually askes why she's doing what she's doing (seaking this doctor in a dangerous third world country). "Is this .... love?" Like all CIA operatives are cold clockwork killers that don't understand the concept. Get fucking real. The poorly written CIA Op really pissed me off to no end.

So with that part of the story fumbled, all the audience is left with is the shallow love story going on between Jolie and this British doctor. Just like every other movie Jolie has ever done (just about), it turns into a 'Jolie needs dick'* subfigure. At least in this film it's a quick 15 second segment. I still don't see how the first "I have feelings for you" line becomes an instant segway for immediately throwing down and having rough, passionate sex. Ah well, I guess I'm old fashioned.

Ending had an interesting twist, but I wasn't impressed. It's a downer film with a downer ending. If you like this kind of shit, it's right up your alley. Otherwise it makes for a two hour movie of mediocre entertainment.

(Quote borrowed from TStone's description of 'Taking Lives')

"I wanna skin me some fetuses and hang 'em, then chase them with hedgeclippers!" - Ice
.BatteryPoison. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 04:35 PM   #230
.BatteryPoison.

Dogville

If you've seen previews for this film, you haven't really seen the previews for this film. From the trailor, you'd think this was an actual film, which it is not. It's one of those independant artsy-pieces where the entire set is just a 200 x 100 foot flat stage with chalk markings that are supposed to represent walls of a house and one article of furniture or a wall to represent each building or structure. It's basically a third of an actual play trying to be a film. Camera work is hand-held and purposely shaky. Acting is terrible. Nicole Kidman is even struggling here. Story is weak and could have only held interest in it's audience if there was actually something to look at.

Sorry, I don't watch a film so I can use my imagination (to create a scene). If I wanted this type of medium, I would have rented an audio-book casset, which is exactly what this is, with very poor visuals. I personally wouldn't recommend it to anyone who isn't absolutely head-over-heels facinated by shitty play-write.

"I wanna skin me some fetuses and hang 'em, then chase them with hedgeclippers!" - Ice
.BatteryPoison. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 10:47 PM   #231
gingerbreadwench

My dad took me to the movies today, and we saw Hero. It was... I don't know... silly. Yeah, that's what I'd have to say. It was silly.
Old 09-02-2004, 09:11 AM   #232
WolfMoon

Brother Bear

Does anyone besides me see the trend in Disney movies killing off family members as disturbing?
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 11:45 AM   #233
Jane13

I have noticed that!

Anyway, I just watched Susperia. IT was pretty cheezey, and it blames witches and stuff for everything, but it was OK. MY other option was Saturday morning cartoons on network TV.
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Old 09-04-2004, 11:55 AM   #234
mlwlildevil

The Exorcist the Beginning......

it made my jump in a few scenes.....

and my dad HAD to point that out to Brady {a friend of mine} on the way home.....ergh
mlwlildevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 08:55 AM   #235
Vampyricon

Phone

Not particularly original, but still an excellent movie with very impressive acting from Seo Woo Eun (who's less than 10 years old) in the role of the possessed kid.
Vampyricon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 01:55 PM   #236
Jane13

I just watched "The Seventh Seal". It's a French movie about a knight, and the plague and... this is deffinitely not a .batterypoison. quality reveiw :P
-Cinema Strange
Old 09-11-2004, 05:56 AM   #237
Vampyricon

Child's Play 1

Back then Chucky movies were actually good
Old 09-11-2004, 07:21 AM   #238
Jane13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampyricon
Child's Play 1

Back then Chucky movies were actually good
I could never bring myself to watch those movies (I have an insane fear of dolls). Another great avatar, by the way.
-Cinema Strange
Old 09-11-2004, 07:29 AM   #239
Vampyricon

Quote:
I could never bring myself to watch those movies (I have an insane fear of dolls).
I'm guessing you haven't read Richard Mattheson's short story "Prey" then? I'm 99% certain that this was the inspiration to the Chucky movies.
Anyway, i don't have a problem with dolls myself in general, but sometimes they can be scary as hell.

Quote:
Another great avatar, by the way.
Thanks!
Old 09-12-2004, 01:55 AM   #240
gingerbreadwench

I just rented Daddy and Them with Laura Dern and Billy Bob Thornton. I love Billy Bob, but this movie was the most boring thing I've ever witnessed.
Old 09-12-2004, 02:20 AM   #241
Vampyricon

A Nightmare On Elm Street
Old 09-12-2004, 09:55 AM   #242
Jane13

The Dark Chrystal :oops:
-Cinema Strange
Old 09-12-2004, 02:52 PM   #243
HerGhostInTheFog

the butterfly effect and hero
HerGhostInTheFog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 05:52 AM   #244
Bicth_in-the_Basement666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane13
The Dark Chrystal :oops:
I love the dark crystal i did not know any one knew what it was anymore :o
Bicth_in-the_Basement666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 05:55 AM   #245
ghostposts

Thanks for the heads up.

I watched Man on Fire.

The original was better. It had heart. Cute kid, though. She carried the part.

I also watched The Butterfly Effect. Nice! Fun, watching him twist in the wind. Sad ending, but it was a good one.

Re rented Suicide Kings for laughs. Dennis Leary is a hoot as a hitman. Imagine trying to play a hired killer with a heart of gold. Wait a minute...isn't that what Denzel Washington did in Man on Fire?

Just another overworked plotline. Still, Dennis did it better.

Fav really bad line:

Killing is his art...and he's about to paint his materpiece.
ghostposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 06:21 AM   #246
Bicth_in-the_Basement666

The last movie I wacthed was Dog soliders. I thought it was amusing and I liked the fact the they diden't use computer animation to make the Lycans.
Bicth_in-the_Basement666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 09:53 AM   #247
gingerbreadwench

I rented Magdalene Sisters again. I love movies that make me cry. I also got Lost Souls starring Winona Ryder. It looks like it will suck, but it might be cool. I'll probably watch it tomorrow... three day weekend!
Old 09-16-2004, 12:22 PM   #248
WolfMoon

Resident Evil & Resident Evil 2

Better than I expected.Ew,zombies.

*shudder*
Old 09-16-2004, 01:06 PM   #249
HWKI

High Plains Drifter, with Clint Eastwood. I've never been big on westerns, except if they have Clint. Everyone else, like JOHN WAYNE, was too much a goody two shoes.
HWKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 07:33 PM   #250
WolfMoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWKI
High Plains Drifter, with Clint Eastwood. I've never been big on westerns, except if they have Clint. Everyone else, like JOHN WAYNE, was too much a goody two shoes.
Nah,they just had different views on what a cowboy was back in the day.John Wayne was actually a very good actor.His best movie,The Quiet Man.