Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

View Poll Results: Who will/would you vote for?
Bush 14 22.95%
Kerry 47 77.05%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-15-2004, 06:30 AM   #326
Disfunction

Also, on the note of Anti-semitism: If I were to discriminate against a religious I would choose fundy Christians that say I'm going to hell if I don't believe in Jesus, and Muslim extremists.

Groups: Neo-nazis.

That basically sums it up. When I lived in the US, I was discriminated against for being Canadian. In other words, I've experienced racism firsthand. Gives me more motivation to not be racist myself.

But DAMN! Do I EVER hate white people!

...don't smother your kids."
Disfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 06:35 AM   #327
ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Gypsy2222
In the great words of Ice....

lo............ lo.............. lo............... lo............. lo............. l......

........ poop.
O _ O
o_o
o_ O
Uhhhh...
Wow.
Just wow.
I said that??? o_O_O_O_O_o

Carry on. :oops:

"No - it's more like - wow, isn't enlightenment great?" - Doug Henning
ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 07:19 AM   #328
MrMaelstrom

I don't know what a dradle is, but I'm up for it if it doesn't mean circuncision...
Old 10-15-2004, 08:06 AM   #329
AlKilyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loy
You know, after the whole 200 debacle
lol yeah that damn Severus-Septimius didn't deserve the throne, even if Didius Julianus was the highest bidder to become emperor at a auction held by the Praetorian Guard.

heh I know what you meant though.
AlKilyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 08:23 AM   #330
AlKilyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaelstrom
I don't know what a dradle is, but I'm up for it if it doesn't mean circuncision...
Eh? You have a turtleneck?
Old 10-15-2004, 10:23 AM   #331
MrMaelstrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlKilyu
Eh? You have a turtleneck?
Nope. I got a Komodo dragon. :twisted:
Old 10-15-2004, 02:16 PM   #332
Disfunction

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaelstrom
Dradle... one of those things that spin like a top... but it has four sides and a pyramidal base as well as hebrew symbols on the sides. I've never seen a real one. lol

Old 10-15-2004, 02:38 PM   #333
TeapotScar

Dradle:

-Add me on myspace, because I'm pretty sure I've tried to add you! http://www.myspace.com/fermeztesyeux
TeapotScar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 07:21 PM   #334
WolfMoon

Just for the record,I wasn't calling Disfunction anti-semetic.I did see his ironic heiling to Bush as trivializing the Holocaust,though.And making Bush seem like a mass murderer.

We were looking for Osama for awhile.But until we find some information on his where abouts there's no point in deploying troops in a useless effort.

Genocide?There are always casualties with war.They're not all Bush's fault.It's not Bush's fault a suicide bomber walks into a heavily populated public area and detonates themselves along with 30 other people.We have,sadly,killed civillians.So have the terrorists.They kill our people and theirs.We can never repay the country for those lives,but we are allowing them to be free for the first time in a long time.Far too long.

We are allowing their women the right to vote and,hopefully giving tem power.Do you know that in some middle eastern and african countries they castrate women?They mutilate their genitalia to an unrecognizable mass and sew them up with a very,very small hole through which to menstrate.On the girl's wedding night her husband tears through her without regard for her pain because women are not allowed sexual pleasure.

Hopefully,with a new government and the power to vote and go to school with the boys, these things will change.

And now for something completely different.........

Dradle,dradle,dradle....
I made you out of clay..........

Damn,I forgot the rest.But jewish children made dradles from clay and played with them by spinning them like a top.There's something about the signifigance of which side it lands on and the foil covered chocolate coins,but I can't remember right now.
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 07:38 PM   #335
Gypsy2222

The Dreidel (I'm pretty sure thats the proper way to spell it), is a game usually played around Hanukah... The four letters on the side are Nun, Gimel, Heh and Shih if I remember correctly... It's supposed to teach a moral lesson (by reminding Jewish children of something) as well as be a fun game... If I remember correctly the letters combined mean something like "Miracles happened here" or "A Miracle happened there"... Something of that nature... Have had a few frinds that were Jewish and was curious... There was an interesting story that went with it if I remember correctly... I just can't recall it at the moment....

~Chuckle~...

So many cultures... so little space in my skull...

Always,
~The Gypsy~
Old 10-15-2004, 07:39 PM   #336
ohthefuckwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfMoon
Dradle,dradle,dradle....

...and when you're dry & ready
then, dradle, i shall play....

Old 10-15-2004, 07:44 PM   #337
WolfMoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohthefuckwell
Quote:
Dradle,dradle,dradle....

Did you watch that episode of Southpark too?

:wink:
Old 10-15-2004, 07:47 PM   #338
ohthefuckwell

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohthefuckwell
Quote:
Dradle,dradle,dradle....

Did you watch that episode of Southpark too?

:wink:

LOL uhhhhhh no.

actually, my step-brother is Jewish. as is my sister's best friend. :wink:
Old 10-15-2004, 07:53 PM   #339
WolfMoon

Ah,I heard the song on Southpark,of all things.

:shock:

But someone once explained the symbols,the manora and the chocolate coins to me.
Old 10-15-2004, 07:54 PM   #340
Disfunction

Quote:
Just for the record,I wasn't calling Disfunction anti-semetic.I did see his ironic heiling to Bush as trivializing the Holocaust,though.And making Bush seem like a mass murderer.

We were looking for Osama for awhile.But until we find some information on his where abouts there's no point in deploying troops in a useless effort.

Genocide?There are always casualties with war.They're not all Bush's fault.It's not Bush's fault a suicide bomber walks into a heavily populated public area and detonates themselves along with 30 other people.We have,sadly,killed civillians.So have the terrorists.They kill our people and theirs.We can never repay the country for those lives,but we are allowing them to be free for the first time in a long time.Far too long.
Irony is where the reader sees it for themselves, I suppose, but to many such a comparison is neither ironic, nor unfair. Nor did I attribute all civillian casualties to Bush... I did however attribute all those for which the American military is responsible (North America is a continent, South America is a continent, the Americas are two continents, and America is another title for the US-to whom it was that called America a continent).

there's no point in deploying troops in a useless effort.

That's something that's irony I find relatively self-explanatory.

And finally: I like chocolate.

What does that have to do with Bush? He's the anti-chocolate. Much like the anti-christ, but less chewy.

Old 10-15-2004, 08:04 PM   #341
WolfMoon

Hardly ironic,we succeeded in deposing a dictator that did bio-chemical experiments on his own people.Tortured his own people and just did any thing he felt like.

We are helping Iraqi people to rebuild their society.We are giving them freedom that they want.Safety that they need.You can't expect us to perform miracles over night.We are doing what we can,instead of pulling out and telling the people to go screw themselves.We aren't pushing anything on these people that they don't themselves want.

Take this freedom or I'll shove it down your throat

Eh,I don't think so.

Our efforts are anything but useless.
Old 10-15-2004, 08:13 PM   #342
AlKilyu

Wolfy Wolfy why?! Such statements are so baseless, immature and below anyone worth half their weight that it's painful to see someone as smart as you try to reason with them!

Consider the source I say... ^_^
Old 10-15-2004, 08:29 PM   #343
WolfMoon

Quote:
Wolfy Wolfy why?! Such statements are so baseless, immature and below anyone worth half their weight that it's painful to see someone as smart as you try to reason with them!

Consider the source I say... ^_^
You may be right,Al.

I just can't help but think that when this one lives as an adult in the world he'll see thing from a different perspective.I was idealistic and headstrong as a teenager as well.
Old 10-15-2004, 08:34 PM   #344
OmmadDawn

Re: All about making sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by .BatteryPoison.
146 detainees have been released without charge, 56 have been handed back over to the custody of their governments.
I believe the vast majority of those released were only after the most intense international pressure. all I remember was Britain and a couple of other countries having to fight tooth and claw to get some of their citizens released. No such hope for some of the others.

It would behoove me to prove that, but I don't have time or energy right now...No, really, I'm still tired from the extended illness. Wull, 3 weeks is extended for me...I HOPE I'm not just lazy.

Also, great info on some of the MPs being charged for the abuses at the Iraqi prison.

You guys should try to understand one of the things that pisses me off about the Bush Administration. All this throwing people into camps without trials and trying to rob us of our rights and freedoms...because they claim they want to "keep us safe".

My perspective is from the Cold War. Lived the nuclear nightmare, ready and waiting to die at any moment, since I was a child. Why? So that the Soviet Union wouldn't be able to put us under its totalitarian system.

So EVEN if I were to believe this crap about the Bush Administration giving a shit for our safety, rather than being happy to have a tool to make everyone knuckle under to their every whim, that still begs the question...

WHEN DID WE TURN INTO SUCH GUT-WRENCHING PANTS-PISSING COWARDS THAT WE'RE AFRAID OF A TERRORIST ATTACK HERE OR THERE?

It's tragic and men, women and children die and somebody I love may die or I may die. BUT I'D RATHER DIE THAN GIVE AWAY MY FREEDOM.

And that, my friends, is why the Cold Warriors are pissed off about where the country is headed.

One of these days, I'll have to tell you folks the true story of how I ALMOST died in a global nuclear conflagration.
OmmadDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 08:51 PM   #345
AlKilyu

Wolfy that is very honorable, and I understand where you are coming from. It's great that you try to help people understand certain basic flaws in their rants.

But it's like having the faucet running in the tub with the drain open, all that goes to waste. Also it's like spraying perfume on dogshit. ^_^
Old 10-15-2004, 09:00 PM   #346
WolfMoon

Al......

Al,I just........

I.....

BWAAAHAHAHAHA!

And I thought you going to say...."on a skunk"

:P
Old 10-15-2004, 09:04 PM   #347
.BatteryPoison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disfunction
[n] systematic killing of a racial or cultural group

(I am aware that you know of its definition, justing putting it out there for reference.)

What has been happening is an eradication of various cultures through the implimentation of democracy at a time of extreme political instability; as soon as the military is pulled out, it will collapse into ultimate chaos... You can't try to turn an area of that sort into USA jr... Good intentions aren't enough to do something of this sort. They would accept democracy on their own terms... military implimentation heeds great difficulties varying on the culture.
Ok, are you talking about the culture itself or the people of a culture?

In terms of the latter, I'm not so sure I would describe it as genocide, necessarily, just because Bush isn't set out to kill the Taliban or Al Quaeda, or any other major islamic militant group. Our goal is really to catch these guys and deal with them, but if they don't want to come peacefully, which none of them do, then we'll happily introduce them to the blunt side of a SCUD missile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmmadDawn
I believe the vast majority of those released were only after the most intense international pressure. all I remember was Britain and a couple of other countries having to fight tooth and claw to get some of their citizens released. No such hope for some of the others.
Actually it's quite interesting what the real motivation behind us giving detainees back to Jordan and Egypt is. It's partially in a deal where we hand back detainees for these governments to deal with (which they want to) in exchange for us secretly smuggling in "ghost prisoners" to their countries for interrogation purposes. Why? Because these countries don't mind using physical abuse (i.e. torture) to extract information from the detainees, whereas American run prisons would never allow or approve of such methods. Many interrogators at Guantanamo Bay often threaten uncooperative detainees with being sent to Jordan for interrogations.

Another shitty deal is that we ended up releasing some of the detainees prematurely. Abdullah Mehsud (A.K.A. Mohammed Alam Mehsud) was found not to be a threat to the U.S. any longer (though I'm sure pressure from our own government to start dealing with these prisoners led to the quick release of hundreds for good PR), was released, went back to Afghanistan, rejoined his group and has currently taken several Pakistani and Chinese nationals in that country hostage.

I won't argue any of what you mentioned earlier about about our treatment of terror suspects held at Guantanamo Bay. It is sort of a shit deal and we're not even covering up our unjust tactics in waging war, but rather legitimizing them. Of course with things like the Patriot Act though, it's really been the Justice Department that has had the main hand in using it for doing and investigating whatever they feel like.

"I wanna skin me some fetuses and hang 'em, then chase them with hedgeclippers!" - Ice
.BatteryPoison. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 09:55 AM   #348
Disfunction

Quote:
Originally Posted by .BatteryPoison.
Ok, are you talking about the culture itself or the people of a culture?
I'm referencing both in a sort of way. The culture is being killed by western intervention, but people who don't agree with it (and I'm referring to those who aren't set in "keeping women down" since not all of the implimented changes are positive ones) are also suffering because of it. I hate it when people start viewing the world in terms of black in white, because with the billions of people we have, it's not going to be as easy as Bush thinks to put people into two respective categories (with the US and against it). The in itself creates a severe form of discrimination against people in the world who would like to support the US but don't believe in its reasons for going to war. In a sense, Bush wants to wipe out everybody that disagrees with American foreign policy... Either by converting them to the cause, or destroying them.

Old 10-16-2004, 10:06 AM   #349
Disfunction

Quote:
We are helping Iraqi people to rebuild their society.We are giving them freedom that they want.Safety that they need.You can't expect us to perform miracles over night.We are doing what we can,instead of pulling out and telling the people to go screw themselves.We aren't pushing anything on these people that they don't themselves want.

Take this freedom or I'll shove it down your throat

Eh,I don't think so.

Our efforts are anything but useless.
That point I'm making is that you are wrong in many cases. If you can go to Iraq, and talk to people and tell me that they all want the American version of freedom, then by all means, I'll pull out of the argument entirely.

My point is that no one came into your country and told you "Okay, we're going to force you to rebel against the people in charge of you." Rather, the time came when the people united in their desire for freedom, and they themselves overthrew the system that had been placed on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfmoon
Hardly ironic,we succeeded in deposing a dictator that did bio-chemical experiments on his own people.Tortured his own people and just did any thing he felt like.
Then why not do the same with North Korea, an equal, if not greater, threat to the US. They don't treat their people well. They do terrible things too. It's not in the media though. As much as you'd like to think so, there are ALWAYS ulterior motives for invading another country. The USSR helped with World War II so people were tolerant of them, and then eventually they went an a global annexing-spree.

While I'm not accusing the US of imperialism, I'm also not going to just swallow the idea of "We're trying to help them." If that was the case, it wouldn't be Iraq alone that would be invaded. That's my point.

Quote:
Wolfy that is very honorable, and I understand where you are coming from. It's great that you try to help people understand certain basic flaws in their rants.
Watch yourself Al; you are labelling my arguments as flawed, however, that is merely because you disagree with the points I make. That hardly makes them flawed. I made a comparison, and admitted that my use of the word "genocide" was out of a different sort of context, and now I've supported my argument once again by tearing off the plastic halo that so many seem to see as genuine; think of the US as an older sibling that likes to act as parent for it's siblings... However, age doesn't define wisdom.

Old 10-16-2004, 01:21 PM   #350
.BatteryPoison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disfunction
I'm referencing both in a sort of way. The culture is being killed by western intervention, but people who don't agree with it (and I'm referring to those who aren't set in "keeping women down" since not all of the implimented changes are positive ones) are also suffering because of it.
The killing of a culture, itself, is something different from straight up genocide. Genocide refers more to the erradication of a cultural group through killing all of it's members, rather than just killing the idea. Agreed though that cultures are suffering due to the intervention.

Quote:
I hate it when people start viewing the world in terms of black in white, because with the billions of people we have, it's not going to be as easy as Bush thinks to put people into two respective categories (with the US and against it). The in itself creates a severe form of discrimination against people in the world who would like to support the US but don't believe in its reasons for going to war.
Agreed.

Quote:
In a sense, Bush wants to wipe out everybody that disagrees with American foreign policy... Either by converting them to the cause, or destroying them.
Not everyone, just the nations we see as a major risk like Iran and North Korea. I think it's safe to say Bush could care less about the little fish in the pond that don't matter in the big picture.

"I wanna skin me some fetuses and hang 'em, then chase them with hedgeclippers!" - Ice
.BatteryPoison. is offline   Reply With Quote