Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 10-12-2006, 11:34 AM   #26
Delicate_Torture

[quote=Haunted House]I've always noticed that Cybergoths tend to stick in their own little circles.[quote]

I've noticed that most goths tend to be a little this way. For example, here we are debating what a cybergoth is and whether they are just the same as ravers, or different, or if anyone cares.

I think that we all stick within our own little groups. We are so used to society pointing and laughing (or sneering) at us that we have come to expect it a lot of the time from our own.

Personally, I'm a bit of a romantigoth, like OnixxFilth. Although, you can through in a bit of the whole candy-pink cutesy thing that the cybergoths tend to do as well. There is nothing like a pair of brightly polished baby pink PVC mary-janes to really get my dark li'l heart a-fluttering.
Old 10-12-2006, 05:03 PM   #27
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicate_Torture
I think that we all stick within our own little groups. We are so used to society pointing and laughing (or sneering) at us that we have come to expect it a lot of the time from our own.
But then there's the mysterious guy that everyone (including preppies) wants to meet and can introduce you to all the best people.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 05:52 AM   #28
Delkaetre

Hmmm... my current idea idea of the goth/cybergoth divide.

There are Trad Goths, and these are the ones who listen to the Old Music. There are CyberGoths, and these are the progeny of the Industrial Revolution that began in Germany. Their music can cross and interbreed, as both Trad and Cyber often enjoy Cruxshadows, VnV and Diary of Dreams, but for the most part these two cultures are different.
They are different in their music, and in their apparel. Cybergoths still wear a lot of black, but they've replaced the velvet with PVC and the lace with rubber. Their aesthetic is black with strong colour contrast rather than black with minimal colour contrast.
It's just a sub-cultural divide. It happens all the time. Remember when heavy metal fractured from the mix of hardcore punk and heavy rock? Or when Goth itself deviated from Punk?
The mindset remains similar, though the Cyber looks to the future whilst the Trad studies the past. We're all still goths, we all have the same taste in obscure pop-culture, literature, etc. It's just that while the Trad will go and pick up a book, the Cyber would rather download the PDF.

This all said, you get some happy creatures like me who appear utterly, undyingly Trad and then wander up and offer you a copy of The Synthetic Collection volumes 1-6, and ask if you kow where to get one of those cute Hexagon jackets with the wraparound detail and UV line on the edge of the hood. There's always a borderline between factions.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 09:42 AM   #29
Rosie

Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 09:04 AM   #30
Delkaetre

no, I can't say I know anyone that bad yet.
I know people with body armour, people with gasmasks, and people with bits of wire used as pretty hair accessories, but no one has quite reached Cyberman status yet.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 09:45 PM   #31
insertwittyname

Lol, hilarious picture. I wouldn't mind to have a few cybergoth outfits that weren't so fuzzy and stuff, but I'm mostly into Kawaii and Gothic-****** and Victorian style. I've also had a pair of those goggles on my christmas list since I saw a pair on this website. In my area, we've got mostly Emokiddies, a few Traditionals, and an occasional "Colorful" as I call them, they fit the goth perspective but they wear kiddy bright colors and random stuffs. No cybergoths or anything here. Don't think anyone knows what one is.
Old 08-01-2008, 05:14 AM   #32
NightmareInShiningArmour

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelseagirl
I'm big time into hair extensions and falls. I wear them almost every day, and even make and sell them. I love bright colors, and love the UV reactive hair, but I'm not into the cyberlox, foam, or rexlace extensions/falls, nor do I like goggles, or those florescent shaggy-haired leg warmers much. However, I do have a few friends that do, and would probably fall into the "cyber goth" label, but actually most of my friends are either punks or skinheads. I'm not very familiar with ravers. I know that alot of "goths" shittalk on "cyber goths" and say that they are annoying, yada, yada, yada, but really, who cares? (unless maybe you have some rare disease that makes neon colors physically painful to look at, haha) People should just be able to be who and what they want, and express themselves freely, regardless of whether it "blurs" the lines between one genre/sub-genre, or not, and regardless of whether it annoys others.
Very true. I mean, Goths shit talking Cyber Goths is just stupid. The whole point of being Goth is originality, you shouldn't then tell people they can't express themselves in ways they like!
I believe Cyber Goth can show there is a dark and light side to everyone.
NightmareInShiningArmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 08:30 AM   #33
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightmareInShiningArmour
Very true. I mean, Goths shit talking Cyber Goths is just stupid. The whole point of being Goth is originality, you shouldn't then tell people they can't express themselves in ways they like!
I believe Cyber Goth can show there is a dark and light side to everyone.
...no it isn't.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 08:32 AM   #34
Solumina

Way to pointlessly necro a thread that has been dead for well over a year and a half.

Oh well now that it has been necroed can anybody please tell me the difference between a cybergoth and a graver? Or are they just two names for the same thing?
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 08:35 AM   #35
Breathless Horror

I always thought it was the same thing. Probably due to people trying to distance themselves from the negative stigma that goth has these days.

A prank a day keeps the dog leash away - Jello Biafra

I want your skulls! I NEED your skulls! - Misfits
Breathless Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 08:47 AM   #36
viscus

What people call "Trad Goth" is the only real Goth. All the other "-goths" are a load of pants.

"Now some of you may encounter the devil's bargain if you get that far. Any old soul is worth saving at least to a priest, but not every soul is worth buying. So you can take the offer as a compliment."

-William S. Burroughs

You're not entitled to your opinion.
viscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:12 AM   #37
Underwater Ophelia

I agree with that.

I don't think cybergoth is goth at all.
That doesn't make it bad, or lame or something (it does that to itself lololololidontcare), it's just not goth.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:43 AM   #38
Minyaliel

Erm, to the difference of cybergoths and gravers, I was once explained that cybergoths are those EBM listening, usually extremely annoyingly perky goth types, usually complete with the "SQUEEE! SO CUTE!" reaction to small, furry things. Gravers are goths of any kind who regularly attend raves. But more than often, cybergoths also are gravers, thus the confusion.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"

Last edited by Minyaliel; 08-01-2008 at 10:44 AM. Reason: typos... grrr.
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:38 AM   #39
KontanKarite

I think "cyber" fashion can look kinda good sometimes.

I don't think that it goes too far at all.

So long as it doesn't threaten public health and safety, then it's pretty much all good.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 11:47 PM   #40
kikrox

if ppl like it who cares !
kikrox is offline   Reply With Quote