Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 06-23-2010, 05:01 PM   #3851
ape descendant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathy's_Child View Post
You know you've hit bottom when you find yourself getting drunk and watching footage of giant boils being lanced on youtube.
Been there, done that... I mean.. who hasn't? Some of those boils are EPIC!!

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:08 PM   #3852
Pineapple_Juice

Apathy, I do that several times a week. It's only bad if you're absent-mindedly whacking off to it.

Rant: I don't think I'll have the cash to go to Hootenanny and I want to see Devil Doll really bad. Why oh why did I waste all that cash on stupid shit????

Also, I would have to coerce a coworker to take my shift that Saturday...
Old 06-24-2010, 08:28 PM   #3853
Underwater Ophelia

I love Absolutely Fabulous.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 07:27 AM   #3854
DA1

If a telemarketer calls me on Monday and I say I'm not interested, don't have a different person call me each day this week like my bank has done.
DA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:27 AM   #3855
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia View Post
I love Absolutely Fabulous.
I agree, but that's hardly whining or a rant.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:40 AM   #3856
Ben Lahnger

I have been looking for work for 9 months now. And with the reported (not counting those who've stopped applying for unemployment, those who are under-employed or working part-time jobs) unemployment rate in Texas is 8.9%. I normally have always been able to land a job within weeks of looking or less ... I'm a great hire, if I do say so myself.

These are the toughest circumstances I've ever been in while looking for work, and other people are NOT making it easier.

I have worked as a retail manager for over 15 years. Now I try to apply for work managing a sunglasses kiosk in a mall and am informed I need a 4 year degree! That is a position that would never have had that requirement before, but with the labor pool that is available, hiring managers think they can afford to be choosy.

All the sudden I have to have a 4 year degree just to do the same work I've been doing most of my adult life.

Meanwhile, the Republicans keep blocking an extension of unemployment benefits. I keep trying to see their point, but I think they've picked the wrong axe to grind. I've just signed a petition asking the Republicans to stop blocking the extension of those benefits. Along with the story of the sunglasses kiosk above, I added the following comment:

"I need to be able to pay my bills while I continue to try to find a job with an employer who DOESN'T require a degree to prove I know how to do what I've been doing all along. I'm not sitting at home doing nothing. Please don't punish me and the many other Americans who are in the same situation. I would PREFER to work, but until I can land a job, unemployment is the only thing keeping me off the streets or out of a homeless shelter!"

I'm not hopeful that they'll be attentive listeners to that sentiment. I guess I can just hope that this is brought up repeatedly at every Republican campaign rally in October and November.

Maybe I should start my own political party ... there's the Tea party...

I'll call mine the MT party ... because of all the people's MT bank accounts.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Old 06-25-2010, 12:26 PM   #3857
Saya

Ouch! Its really weird when they ask for a degree when its completely irrelevant!

My toothache is back again and its travelling, its not the same tooth? Can't afford a dentist though Rubbing the gums with booze really does help numb it, but I'm running out of rum. Perhaps I should stop drinking it while I'm working on the toothache. I think it might be my wisdom teeth trying to squeeze in again.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:32 PM   #3858
honeythorn

Try clove oil to numb the pain. It's a very old remedy for toothache.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:36 PM   #3859
Saya

None to be had! And I got like five dollars until next Friday so I have to stick to what I have around the house. Drinking tea helps too, wish I had a heating pad to lie down with.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:32 PM   #3860
Ben Lahnger

Saya, here's a useful page on how to make a homemade heating pad:

http://tipnut.com/make-your-own-microwave-heating-pad/

This "In a pinch" tip seems especially helpful:

If you need a heating pad “now” and don’t have time to sew one, try filling a ziploc freezer bag (make sure it’s the microwaveable kind) 3/4 full with uncooked rice, seal shut. Heat for a minute or two then wrap in a hand towel and use as needed.

You can also fill a clean tube sock, tie closed the open end, heat and use as needed.

There are also suggestions for filler material other than rice on that page.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 06-25-2010, 04:16 PM   #3861
Skye Jules

Humanities is the worst class ever invented by my university. Some dipwad got the idea of throwing an art class, a music class, and literature class into one, having three professors for it, and three and half hours of torturous lecture. Go die. And I have to take two insufferable semesters. I know I didn't have to do it over the summer, but it's my belief that it's easier because I don't have to take it in conjunction with other classes, and I don't have to go see plays or visit locations, which takes time away from reading all the dry garbage we have to cram into our brains daily.

And I love literature, but I don't love old literature. There is nothing terribly complex about it, because all the main characters are flawless and everyone lives happily ever after. The end.
Skye Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 04:45 PM   #3862
Saya

What literature are you reading? Plenty of old literature has complex characters, from Paradise Lost to Crime And Punishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger View Post
Saya, here's a useful page on how to make a homemade heating pad:

http://tipnut.com/make-your-own-microwave-heating-pad/

This "In a pinch" tip seems especially helpful:

If you need a heating pad “now” and don’t have time to sew one, try filling a ziploc freezer bag (make sure it’s the microwaveable kind) 3/4 full with uncooked rice, seal shut. Heat for a minute or two then wrap in a hand towel and use as needed.

You can also fill a clean tube sock, tie closed the open end, heat and use as needed.

There are also suggestions for filler material other than rice on that page.
Thanks Ben, but my microwave is still broken! D'oh!

Its feeling better now though, drinking something cold still hurts (which sucks because its really hot today) but other than that its fine.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:50 PM   #3863
Methadrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye Jules View Post
And I love literature, but I don't love old literature. There is nothing terribly complex about it, because all the main characters are flawless and everyone lives happily ever after. The end.
That depends on what you define as old litterature. The Illiad and Oddysseus, for example, are hardly books with flawless characters and happy endings.

"Meow. Mew. Mrow. Maow? Miaox." - Lovely Delkaetre speaks cat.
Methadrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 05:14 PM   #3864
Solumina

The same can be said of any epic, in fact I'm having a hard time thinking of any "old literature" with perfect characters. Most stories with perfect characters are old stories that have been retold for modern children.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 05:17 PM   #3865
Saya

Not to mention lots of new literature for adults has a disgusting amount of flawless characters.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:21 PM   #3866
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
Thanks Ben, but my microwave is still broken! D'oh!
There is probably a way (more work, I know) to put the rice on a cookie sheet and heat it in the oven. Timing would be different, but I bet it could be done.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 06-25-2010, 05:38 PM   #3867
Methadrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
Not to mention lots of new literature for adults has a disgusting amount of flawless characters.
Don't get me started on those sparkly characters too...

"Meow. Mew. Mrow. Maow? Miaox." - Lovely Delkaetre speaks cat.
Methadrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 09:31 AM   #3868
KissMeDeadly

I kept hearing good things about this 'straight talk' plan. $45 for the card, and it gives you unlimited calls, texts, and web access for thirty days. No contracts, nothing to worry about.

Soo I went down the the local Wal-Mart and dropped almost $100 a phone and said card. Used it all day for two days. Loved the shit out of it.

Today I cracked the motherFUCKING screen, thus rendering everything but calls unavailable. I have to drop another $100 to replace it since I can't return it.

Fuck.
KissMeDeadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 10:42 AM   #3869
Ben Lahnger

That sucks. Purely, truly sucks.

I don't know if it makes you feel any better, but no cellular company has a program in place to replace a cellphone if you smash the screen. Sometimes a person can talk them into it, but their not obligated to do so. It's not a warranty defect, it's accidental abuse by the owner. If you have a post-paid plan, you can pay something like $6 a month for insurance. Most phone insurance plans have a $50 or $100 deductible (or more for pda/smartphone replacement.)

So in almost any circumstances, a person who smashes their phone a day after they got it is going to pay out cash to replace it.

In the big picture scheme of things, $100 is a lot less than the actual amount any cell phone should cost, as they've subsidized the price a bit to make it affordable. That means it's less than you could be paying in different circumstances.

I know that doesn't mean you find $100 easy to afford right now or even want to have to pay that. I'm just saying it could be worse.

But it still sucks.

You could consider buying a used Straight Talk phone like this one ... Straight Talk's website says they allow you to activate used phones. I would just contact the seller of any used phone and

1) get the IMEI or ESN number off the phone and check with Strait Talk to make sure it isn't blocked from being activated due to being reported stolen

and

2) make sure the seller offers a return period or agrees to an escrow type sale (using something like Paypal, for instance.)

I suggest that only as a possible help if you're really financially tight right now. Personally, as someone with over 10 years in the cellular business, I've always favored buying new phones.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 06-26-2010, 05:55 PM   #3870
the-nihilist

You know, when I ride my motorcycle for an extended period of time my hands feel like they're vibrating long after I stop riding the motorcycle.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:45 PM   #3871
Mr E Nigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye Jules View Post
Macbeth... Hamlet... Romeo and Juliet... The Grapes of Wrath... The Bible... The Hobbit... Brave New World... Of Mice and Men... Dante's Divine Comedy... Argonautica...

I mean you've got your old literature... and then you've got your old literature.

Though all of these should prove contradictory to your annoying predicament of only reading novels with flawless protagonists and happy ending books.

Though as mentioned before there are dozens and dozens of books like that. Honestly I'd be hard pressed to name one with a flawless main character.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:03 AM   #3872
gothicusmaximus

I don't want to go to bed until I know for sure that I'm not going to vomit anymore. BUT NOT EVEN I CAN SEE THE FUTURE
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 04:11 AM   #3873
honeythorn

Try eating something that contains ginger, biscuits/cookies or just plain crystallised ginger for example - if you think you can keep it down.

If not something solid then try a tea with ginger in it. It's very well known for calming nausea and settling the stomach, and I've tried it myself many times with success.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 04:49 PM   #3874
Ben Lahnger

Stupid fucking Tropical Storm Alex!

Stay the fuck away from the Gulf.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 06-27-2010, 04:57 PM   #3875
Noumi

I'm so very hungry right now.
I'm even thinking about eating carrots with sugar on top...

ピラール
Noumi is offline   Reply With Quote