Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 09-17-2006, 08:04 AM   #1
Young-goth

Your thoughts on hawthorne heights

I was just wandering what every one else thinks about the band hawthorne heights i really like there music especially there songs pens and needles and this is who we are. what are your veiws on them? http://www.purevolume.com/albums/haw...yyouwerelonely
Young-goth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 12:51 PM   #2
Godslayer Jillian

They're awful. (Oh, and so ungoth)

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 02:30 PM   #3
Young-goth

What music genre would you say they are? I got this band from a friend and thought they were really good.
Young-goth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 03:04 PM   #4
Godslayer Jillian

They're pop punk and hardcore.
I don't like the latter and abhor the former of these styles.
Everyone has their own tastes, but I can't believe these guys can get around mainstream's ignorance and pass as "goth music".

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Old 09-17-2006, 03:09 PM   #5
She_Is_My_Sin

I thought they were emo...of so I've heard...eh whatever floats your boat. *wanders off*
She_Is_My_Sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 03:16 PM   #6
Godslayer Jillian

Meh, hardcore is just a louder emo kind of music.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 09-19-2006, 05:28 AM   #7
Slap Your Love

They are horrid. Besides the fact that the lyrics are horrible as it is but to hear them live is ghastly. Horrible, horrible, I hope they do "Slit their wrist and black their eyes."...*Shudder*
Old 09-22-2006, 12:35 PM   #8
Acushla

My exact thoughts when I first heard them were, "If I wanted to listen to Thursday, I'd listen to Thursday." The fact that they sound similar isn't surprising considering that they were both on Victory records at one point (I believe HH still is) but Thursday's lyrics are actually good and they're a great live band. Hawthorne Heights is just whiny and irritating.
Acushla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 05:11 PM   #9
Starrchile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
They're awful. (Oh, and so ungoth)
Indeed. I hear them referred to as goth, and just shake my head.
Starrchile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 10:47 PM   #10
Mr. D.

Huh?

I thought this was a goth forum? You know, wine, cloves, bad French poetry and all? Hawthorne Heights? Is my lip pierced on the correct side?
Mr. D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 09:44 AM   #11
Draconysius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slap Your Love
They are horrid. Besides the fact that the lyrics are horrible as it is but to hear them live is ghastly. Horrible, horrible, I hope they do "Slit their wrist and black their eyes."...*Shudder*
Dude, it's "CUT my wrist and black my eyes". <.< >.> But yeah, they're a pretty poppy, unoriginal band. Don't let that prevent you from liking them though. They're one of my guilty pleasures. Can't for the life of me tell you why I like them.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 01:18 PM   #12
Green.Lady

I had never heard these guys before, so I downloaded a few songs. This band actually now beats Korn in my Worst Band Ever Made list.
Green.Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 01:36 PM   #13
KontanKarite

I can't be bothered to care...

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 02:54 PM   #14
Mr. D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconysius
Dude, it's "CUT my wrist and black my eyes". <.< >.> But yeah, they're a pretty poppy, unoriginal band. Don't let that prevent you from liking them though. They're one of my guilty pleasures. Can't for the life of me tell you why I like them.
I have heard them. Prejudice doesn't apply here.

Cheers.
Mr. D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 09:04 AM   #15
Stormtrooper of Death

Ok now you've made me mad Godslayer Jillian. Hardcore is not emo. Hardcore is hardcore punk. Black Flag, Circle Jerks, Dead Kennedys, The Exploited, Minor Threat, Husker Du, The Germs, Middle Class, The Teen Idles. DO NOT CONFUSE SOME CRAPPY ASS EMO SHIT WITH PUNK!!!!!!! As for saying pop punk, yes they are and they bloody suck. I hate pop punk, punk shouldn't be after pop, anytime. Darby Crash is rolling in his grave.
Stormtrooper of Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 09:40 AM   #16
maggot

I think he means 'real' emo. You know, like Rites of Spring.

Tell me that isn't hardcore.

And just for the record, there is a distinction between hardcore and hardcore punk.

Sick of It All and stuff like that, which is some guy yelling about politics over a guitar is different from stuff like the Dead Kennedys and the Circle Jerks which would be hardcore punk.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:10 AM   #17
Stormtrooper of Death

You aren't that informed are you maggot? The Dead Kennedys were one of the first California second wave hardcore punk bands to fuse punk with political lyrics. Sick of It All ARE a hardcore punk band that were seminal in the New York hardcore punk scene in the 80's. Don;t try to outsmart me when it comes to punk.
Stormtrooper of Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 12:29 PM   #18
Green.Lady

Uh, Stormtrooper, I'm not trying to be offensive, but why did you join a goth forum?
Old 10-28-2007, 03:02 PM   #19
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper of Death
Ok now you've made me mad Godslayer Jillian. Hardcore is not emo. Hardcore is hardcore punk. Black Flag, Circle Jerks, Dead Kennedys, The Exploited, Minor Threat, Husker Du, The Germs, Middle Class, The Teen Idles. DO NOT CONFUSE SOME CRAPPY ASS EMO SHIT WITH PUNK!!!!!!! As for saying pop punk, yes they are and they bloody suck. I hate pop punk, punk shouldn't be after pop, anytime. Darby Crash is rolling in his grave.
Incidentally, Husker Du is oft cited to have had a seminal impact on the development of Emo as a genre.
Bear in mind, Pop Punk is not Emo. Emo is 'Emotive Hardcore'- that is to say, hardcore or post-hardcore featuring emotional lyrics.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 03:18 PM   #20
Necropolis

Here are my thoughts on Hawthorne Heights:

"What the hell is that?"
Necropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 03:44 PM   #21
KontanKarite

*hits the dirt*

Somebody's talking some game against Maggot?

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 04:39 PM   #22
Green.Lady

The real definition of pop-punk is punk with catchy melodies. Believe it or not, The Ramones, Bad Religion, The Buzzcocks, Screeching Weasel, The Descendents, etc. are all classified as pop-punk.

Nowadays, bands like Blink 182, Green Day, NOFX, Sum41, etc. are also classified as pop-punk, and this is no less correct than the Buzzcocks or Ramones being called pop-punk. The only difference is that these bands are shitty. There's shitty bands in every genre, and fantastic ones as well. Most kids today seem to think that pop-punk equals only stuff like Blink 182, but it's a genre that been around for decades and should be respected.

So, if you wanna insult some of the greatest punk bands ever made, say that all punk music with pop influences sucks.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:57 PM   #23
LadyLucretia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green.Lady
The real definition of pop-punk is punk with catchy melodies. Believe it or not, The Ramones, Bad Religion, The Buzzcocks, Screeching Weasel, The Descendents, etc. are all classified as pop-punk.

Nowadays, bands like Blink 182, Green Day, NOFX, Sum41, etc. are also classified as pop-punk, and this is no less correct than the Buzzcocks or Ramones being called pop-punk. The only difference is that these bands are shitty. There's shitty bands in every genre, and fantastic ones as well. Most kids today seem to think that pop-punk equals only stuff like Blink 182, but it's a genre that been around for decades and should be respected.

So, if you wanna insult some of the greatest punk bands ever made, say that all punk music with pop influences sucks.
Pop refers to music that is popular, not music that is catchy or melodic. Pop is *usually* catchy and melodic,yes, but not always. The Ramones, Bad Religion, Buzzcocks, etc. were not popular for the majority of their careers. Ask a pop music aficionado about these bands, and if you are lucky they will name you one Ramones song. It is only in the past 5-10 years that these bands have been at all absorbed into pop culture. Perhaps that helped create a market for pop punk, because punk was old enough to be tame and marketable, but to call those bands themselves "pop" is not accurate.

I understand your argument - sure the Ramones were influenced by 50's rock and roll (i.e. pop), and bands like the Cramps were influenced by Elvis (as pop as it gets), but influences do not define a band, nor does melodic structure.

If you have any articles/interviews/books etc. that support your position I'd be interested in reading them, but if it's just a personal theory of yours then it goes against established music history.
LadyLucretia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 05:03 PM   #24
electrosexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper of Death
You aren't that informed are you maggot? The Dead Kennedys were one of the first California second wave hardcore punk bands to fuse punk with political lyrics. Sick of It All ARE a hardcore punk band that were seminal in the New York hardcore punk scene in the 80's. Don;t try to outsmart me when it comes to punk.
Pfft. PerkyGoth, DO NOT try and argue with maggot about music. You can bet he knows 456789 times more than you and he'll just make a show of you.
electrosexual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 05:09 PM   #25
††BlackRose††

I say that Hawthorne Heights are EMO!!!!!

That is all. :P
††BlackRose†† is offline   Reply With Quote