Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:20 PM   #1
Razeal18

Thumbs down DoucheBag supervisor

Hello Masses of Gnet

I go to a workforce developement program. They teach us "inner city kids" about Computer Science and "professional" skills. I do my best to toe the line and dress professionally while still having my dark flare that makes me comfortable and confident. I usually wear a black button up shirt, black pants and a tie of various colors not always black.

A comment from the admissions supervisor Mr.Reed is as follows: "You should try to wear more color {my name}, We dont want anyone to to think your one dimentional"

What a douche bag right? what the fuck is he on about? I dont think it's in anyway fair to make comments about my personality simply because I wear a specific color on a nearly constant basis. Any and all information that would be helpful in proffing up my look would be greatly appreciated.
Razeal18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:02 PM   #2
Technowitch

Well, aside from the color of your tie (which you already said you change from day to day), there are other ways to add a splash of color to your work clothes. Buttons and cufflinks are a good way, as are lapel or tie pins. You could also switch out your usual black shirt for shirts in rich jewel tones.
Technowitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:28 PM   #3
Razeal18

Its a thought, but I'm currently surviving on pb&j and charity from my roomates. thanks for the suggestion thou.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:30 PM   #4
KontanKarite

I would go with a black vest, black slacks, and a nice jewel tone dress shirt with a kind of tasteful middle of the ground tie. Generally, I like to wear a charcoal color scheme with a gray tie and a purple dress shirt. White suspenders on a solid black outfit with a white tie may also work.

BTW, black is MORE professional looking than pastels, so keep that in mind.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:41 PM   #5
Breathless Horror

I agree with Kontan on the purple. A rich, dark purple is fucking rad, and most definitely professional.

A prank a day keeps the dog leash away - Jello Biafra

I want your skulls! I NEED your skulls! - Misfits
Breathless Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 05:34 AM   #6
ThenAgain

Alternatively: Who gives a fuck what your supervisor says?
ThenAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:15 AM   #7
Tam Li Hua

That sucks that they're being like that, but perhaps for now, it -would- be good to try and comply.

I think a black vest with a pattern combined with a deep purple or burgundy shirt would look very nice! =D After you secure a job and have been there for a while, you can go back to all-black if you want.

While black is a great base color, it certainly isn't the -only- color you're "allowed" to wear if you're Goth. [Not saying you have to wear a bright yellow shirt or anything like that, but dark colors like purple and burgundy can be very Gothically striking.]
Old 07-09-2010, 06:46 AM   #8
Underwater Ophelia

Your spelling is awful. Maybe you'd be a more valued employee if you were better at your job. If you're as careless with it as you are with your communication, you deserve to be micromanaged.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:30 AM   #9
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
No one tells me not to wear black when I am in the office, and yes, it is very professional, as long as it doesn't have little skulls or angel wings on the back of the shirt or something. I wear black shoes, black Dockers, black belt, black polo shirt or long sleeves; dry cleaned and pressed.

But Ophie is right too: people treat you according to how you speak and spell.
Speak and spell like an alley cat and you will be treated like an alley cat.

Speak and spell like an executive, you will rise to an executive position. It seems shallow but it really works. By the way, "Dress to impress" by William J. F. Keenan describes Goth fashion in public as well as other fashion statements.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:18 AM   #10
Violet Thyme

Dress shirts in colors like grey, dark red, navy, etc. can be picked up for a song at thrift stores. Vests are also a dime a dozen now that they're trendy again...but yet can be used to create a nice corp goth look. Pinstripes are especially snazzy looking, of course. Consider checking out other color pants while you're there too...charcoal and navy are dark and classic professional colors, which can then be paired with a black shirt and colored tie. (Yes I mix black with navy, just like I pair black with brown. I think they look cool and mildly subversive )

My boyfriend has the same issue - he tends to wear a black dress shirt and black pants to work every day of the week. Even though many of his black shirts have white pinstripes or silver accents or such, it does create a somewhat boring monochrome look (coming from a girl new to the Goth scene and still probably more on the steampunk spectrum than true Goth!). He's found that some of the more subdued plaid prints that can be found on the clearance racks at Hot Topic (yes, ) work well for adding a little color, so now he sports grey-and-purple plaid (my two favorite colors hehe) or burgundy-and-black stripes with his black pants.
Violet Thyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:18 AM   #11
bear vs bear

Wear an obnoxious amount of color for a few days to get your point across.

If only.
bear vs bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:27 AM   #12
ape descendant

LOL, tell him that you'd totally wear more color, if he'll give you the money for the clothes. Then buy obnoxiously bright shirts and a black vest, then wear them every day.

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 12:35 PM   #13
Solumina

It isn't really a douche bag move, he is telling you the truth. Back when I worked in an office I could get away with wearing pretty much just black because I'm awesome at accessorizing so it looked sleek and simple instead of boring and one dimensional. I know girls can get away with a lot more accessories than guys so that may not be an option for you but the point is that visual interest creates the impression that you are a more dynamic, creative, and interesting person, and first impressions can make or break you in the business world.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:49 PM   #14
Razeal18

Thanks a lot for all the help. I will definitely try out the vest option.
Sorry about any/all misspellings that have occurred in past/present/future posts.
Much like Kevin Smith, I just have to bitch about perceived injustices on the internet

Bear, Ape - I would but i think a guy who dresses as a combination between a mega church pastor and an original king of comedy might not get the hint. This guy giving me fashion advice.... irony so thick you could mercifully slit it's wrists. I'd make a comment to him but he had 15 inch thick arms and still has control as to whether or not I get an internship at QTS (data infrastructure, cloud, all around Independent IT ers)

Thanks again for all the suggestions!!
Old 07-09-2010, 07:30 PM   #15
the-nihilist

I didn't read any of the posts, but it sounds to me like you deserve every horrible thing that happens to you.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:39 PM   #16
Razeal18

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-nihilist View Post
I didn't read any of the posts, but it sounds to me like you deserve every horrible thing that happens to you.

who dosn't?

The willfully ignorant strike again!!
Old 07-09-2010, 10:04 PM   #17
kaffeine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThenAgain View Post
Alternatively: Who gives a fuck what your supervisor says?
Seconded
kaffeine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 06:22 AM   #18
ape descendant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeal18 View Post
I'd make a comment to him but he had 15 inch thick arms and still has control as to whether or not I get an internship at QTS (data infrastructure, cloud, all around Independent IT ers)
That is why he does, and most likely should give a shit.

It sucks to be torn between one's natural proclivities, and the pursuit of happiness.. but along the road.. compromises must be made.... I mean, at least its not a tacky-ass uniform.

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 03:20 PM   #19
lady_cthulhu

I have to second ape descendant - I worked in the banking industry for a while. It's tough, especially for a male with goth tendencies. Most of the posters here have given you really good advice about colors like charcoal grey, burgundy, purple etc. And pinstripes, you can't go wrong there. A black or pinstripe vest over any of those colors would look striking, and black and white is the most professional color combo out there.

I know you're tight for money, so you may want to try places like Goodwill, Ross, TJ Maxx, and Burlington Coat Factory depending on what's available in your area. Just a couple of shirts in different colors would probably be all you need, maybe some dark brown or gray pants if you can swing it. Black shirts look good with gray pants, by the way.

Listen to what he tells you though - much of the professional world takes an interest in how you dress, and respecting dress codes is part of keeping the job once you get it. It isn't just about self expression, it's also about showing the people you work for that you care about them, their image and what you do to that image (again this is very important in keeping the job once you get it). In time, you'll figure out what is and isn't acceptable, and dress as best fits that and your own personality.
lady_cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 04:17 PM   #20
Underwater Ophelia

Anyone who "doesn't give a fuck what their supervisor says" has obviously never had to work a job in the real world.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote