Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 12-08-2009, 05:31 PM   #1
Maverick

Global Warming Severity Just a Hoax?

More Info Here

Now, when this fervor about global warming first came about... I was the first one to raise my hand and say "Uh, what?"

Everyone thought I was a nutcase back then for even questioning the almighty word. Now it seems that information is slowly leaking out that information that would hurt the Global Warming argument is being swept under the rug..

Amazing!

I had to laugh last night when some expert on CNN coined it perfectly... "If it wasn't for Global Warming, we'd all still be under an ice block."

I wonder who they're blaming the Ice Age's meltdown on... Cavemen?

Ahh it's good to have a fresh scandal to sip come cocoa to.

Thoughts?
Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:55 PM   #2
Corpsey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nnVQ2fROOg

My thoughts are very similar to this man's thoughts.

While rising sea levels aren't quite causing alarm in New Zealand just yet, I get sunburnt from walking for forty minutes under the blistering sun at EIGHT in the morning. That kind of phenomenon would have been unheard of a good hundred years or so ago. Not directly related to "global warming" but let's just file it under yet another environmental change that has accumulated over a good century.

"I've never regretted anything..." - Light Yagami

Life is a shit sandwich. Unfortunately, it's always lunchtime. How much bread you have goes a long way toward determining how easy it is to swallow.
Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:14 PM   #3
Saya

Maverick? Laughing in the face of the science of Global Warming?

...Are you Palin?
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:17 PM   #4
Maverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
Maverick? Laughing in the face of the science of Global Warming?

...Are you Palin?
Nah, that's "Rogue" close, but no nuts.

I was just laughing at the irony that scientists claiming that Global Warming is "man made" yet using the Ice Age as a reference to defend their claims...
Old 12-08-2009, 08:19 PM   #5
Saya

They don't claim that its man made. Its natural but man made pollutants are speeding things up and life may not be able to adapt. Savvy?

And she loooooooved saying Maverick during the campaign. I actually do an awesome impression of her saying it too, its just a bit off of a Ralph Wiggam impression.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:22 PM   #6
Maverick

I still don't buy into it.

I'd say the clearcutting of the industrialization era is probably more to blame than carbon emissions... It's just clear this is becoming more of a spectacle than actual scientific research...

The longer they can preach on global warming, the more dollars they squeeze out of people.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:24 PM   #7
the-nihilist

Reminded me of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hhuu5FGEq2w
Old 12-08-2009, 08:26 PM   #8
Saya

Actually the more people deny global warming the more dollars they can squeeze out of people. The only reason the Bush administration and conservatives want to deny it is because it threatens certain industries. And I have to say its really just the American government that has this "controversy" because the rest of the world accepts it and has been making progress.

What do enviromentalists recommend? Stop consuming so much shit you don't need. That saves me money. Bad for The Gap though.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:29 PM   #9
Maverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
Actually the more people deny global warming the more dollars they can squeeze out of people. The only reason the Bush administration and conservatives want to deny it is because it threatens certain industries. And I have to say its really just the American government that has this "controversy" because the rest of the world accepts it and has been making progress.

What do enviromentalists recommend? Stop consuming so much shit you don't need. That saves me money. Bad for The Gap though.
Does anyone shop at the Gap anymore?

Either way, makes for good television.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:16 PM   #10
devereaux

The issue, at its core, is not whether the local temperature is colder or warmer than you remember it a few years ago, or whether or not it will snow in November. People try to discredit global climate issues based on what they remember from walking down the street the last few years or based on what people that tell others what they want to believe say. It drives me crazy.

The REAL issue is that increased global temperatures will cause melting of polar ice which will result in the rise of sea levels - people would be forced out of their homes by the oceans and that sea water would inundate lands previously used for agriculture. Most of the world's population lives pretty close to sea level and most countries aren't wealthy enough to reclaim farmland from the sea like the Netherlands does.

In countries like Bangladesh (one of the most populous countries in the world), one meter sea level rise will inundate about one fifth area of Bangladesh and would displace 25-30 million people. Where are they supposed to go? What are they supposed to eat?

That's just one country. There are lots of regions around the world that are equally vulnerable...and that's ultimately why climate change is a big deal. Many people (particularly here in the United States where it is a big political issue) are too greedy and/or self-aggrandizing to accept the reality of climate change.
devereaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:18 PM   #11
Maverick

Well it's all speculation... for all we know, a giant sea dragon could spawn out of the oceans and fly out into space...

The only thing I see the polar ice caps doing, is diluting the salt water enough to kill off a bunch of deep sea creatures.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:29 PM   #12
devereaux

By your logic, Schrödinger might still have a cat.

In the real world, the geologists will continue to monitor the melting of the Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets and hope that maybe people around the world will try not to contribute too much towards their disappearance.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:31 PM   #13
Maverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by devereaux View Post
By your logic, Schrödinger might still have a cat.

In the real world, the geologists will continue to monitor the melting of the Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets and hope that maybe people around the world will try not to contribute too much towards their disappearance.
Ehh, there's just too many variables to definitively say what exactly is causing what.

It's best not to jump on any bandwagons early on, cause we could be treating a symptom and not the disease in the long run,
Old 12-08-2009, 10:42 PM   #14
devereaux

What is particularly exasperating is that the conservatives in the United States always extol the virtues of capitalism and "the market", but then freak out when people suggest implementing a cap-and-trade system.

The whole idea of a cap-and-trade system IS to use capitalism to set incentives for reducing greenhouse gas emissions - allowing companies to buy and trade credits to meet goals. Let the market set the value of the carbon offsets and people will buy and sell them as needed. If countries wanted to be more draconian about it, they easily could...just set an hard emissions limit and give no room for exceedance.

It's like some just want to stick their head in the sand and pretend there is no issue. Chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) were burning a hole in the ozone layer. People accepted this as fact and they were outlawed awhile ago now...people adapted to new types of aerosol just fine. Life goes on.

In the end, I think it is better to be proactive given the evidence that exists now for climate change.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:24 AM   #15
Corpsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
Well it's all speculation... for all we know, a giant sea dragon could spawn out of the oceans and fly out into space...

The only thing I see the polar ice caps doing, is diluting the salt water enough to kill off a bunch of deep sea creatures.
So, the majority of the Glaciers in the world (particularly the Himalayas which is a major source of water for the main rivers throughout Asia and India) have decided to shrink all by themselves? If you want I could show you a documentary video of a man standing where a glacier was 6 months beforehand and looking at the thinning Ice a good 20 metres away.

Life is a shit sandwich. Unfortunately, it's always lunchtime. How much bread you have goes a long way toward determining how easy it is to swallow.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:02 AM   #16
Maverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
So, the majority of the Glaciers in the world (particularly the Himalayas which is a major source of water for the main rivers throughout Asia and India) have decided to shrink all by themselves? If you want I could show you a documentary video of a man standing where a glacier was 6 months beforehand and looking at the thinning Ice a good 20 metres away.
Well by that,

How did we get out of the ice age?

I guess we just snapped our fingers and decided it was over..?
Old 12-09-2009, 02:17 AM   #17
Corpsey

I have my own little theory on that conundrum of how ice ages are formed, but I'm not well versed in the history of the Earth's climate.

Please rephrase your question as I don't know quite what you mean by getting out of the Ice Age. But if you are referring to how the planet got itself out of the Ice Age, this process occurs naturally (refer to El Nino La Nina) but the argument behind the current environmental change is that human's have a finger or two in speeding up the process.

You still didn't answer my question either.

Old 12-09-2009, 02:21 AM   #18
Maverick

Well that's the thing... we haven't had enough recorded history to really know how vast and violent the Earth's natural cycles are...

Not to mention the vast clearcutting of the Earth's natural CO2 filters... Heck, even changes in the tectonic plates can shift climates dramatically... While we may have had SOME hand in tipping a scale somewhere, I do believe it's been pretty minimal to the course we've been on.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:28 AM   #19
Corpsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick
While we may have had SOME hand in tipping a scale somewhere, I do believe it's been pretty minimal to the course we've been on.
Please provide some evidence for such a statement. It would be nice to believe but I don't place much faith in humanity to not ruin the present circumstances or make things worse.

Either way, in thirty odd years time there will be a lot more thirsty people in Asia / India.

Old 12-09-2009, 04:06 AM   #20
DRM

I thought India was in Asia.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:45 AM   #21
viscus

One thing I really don't understand about the "global warming is a hoax" conspiracy theory is why. Who would stand to benefit from it in any meaningful way?

"Now some of you may encounter the devil's bargain if you get that far. Any old soul is worth saving at least to a priest, but not every soul is worth buying. So you can take the offer as a compliment."

-William S. Burroughs

You're not entitled to your opinion.
viscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:14 AM   #22
Still Jack

We haven't had too many negative consequences here yet. Grapes did well, so the wine industry is thriving. My mates rooftop weed crop did very well indeed. It's just a tad hot, but that isn't too much of a bother.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:50 AM   #23
Maverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscus View Post
One thing I really don't understand about the "global warming is a hoax" conspiracy theory is why. Who would stand to benefit from it in any meaningful way?
Capitalism seems to be thriving on it...

I mean, I don't support everything that Bush has ever said or done... He was a total puppet, but even a broken clock is right twice a day.

As to all this call to proof... there is none to the contrary, which is why I'm raising a spockian eyebrow to it all. The baffling lack of proof to the contrary of Global Warming is kind of suspicious.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:59 AM   #24
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
Capitalism seems to be thriving on it...

I mean, I don't support everything that Bush has ever said or done... He was a total puppet, but even a broken clock is right twice a day.

As to all this call to proof... there is none to the contrary, which is why I'm raising a spockian eyebrow to it all. The baffling lack of proof to the contrary of Global Warming is kind of suspicious.
That's your fucking argument? "There is no evidence to the contrary, so clearly they are hiding something?" Was Newton fabricating shit too because we have no record of a floating apple?
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:05 AM   #25
Maverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
That's your fucking argument? "There is no evidence to the contrary, so clearly they are hiding something?" Was Newton fabricating shit too because we have no record of a floating apple?

In the age of oversaturation of information, there should at least be a study floating around to the contrary...

But the fact that there is no funded reasearch into actual unbiased probable cause behind global warming is a headscratcher.

Unlike most of the population... I'd like to see two sides of a story before I throw down my undying support.

Sue me.