Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:25 AM   #26
Linen

-Were do you work?
in an office cubicle

-Do you enjoy your co-workers?
Yeah they're pretty nice. It's a bunch of conservative old ladies, though, so I have to be careful about non work-related conversations.

-Do you have any piercings and if you do, do you have to hide them or take them out at work?
yes I have 7 of them, and no I don't have to take them out because I don't deal with the public at all

-tips on hiding piercings or tattoos?
I have put in a clear retainer where my nose is pierced when I've gone on job interviews. I'd just say if you have to hide it, but refuse to get rid of it... get clear or nude retainers.

-Hair color: does your work allow it?
yep. I have had my hair about 3 different colors (or more) since I've worked here. Now if I wanted to dye it purple or green they might say something about it, but I have dyed it red, brown, and black so nothing super extreme.

extra - I wear pretty much whatever I want because the only things they don't allow are shorts, capris, flip-flops, super-low-cut tops, and shirts with profanity/offensive material.
Linen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:23 AM   #27
Nevan

-Were do you work?

I'm a city council employee, I work for an internal service department that deals with occupational safety, injuries on duty, safety awareness & training and legal compliance. Stuff like that. What I do involves 90% computers, so I sit in a little office hiding behind a pc most of the time. We have a dress code so I can't do much with my look, although I dress 'corporate goth' so far as possible.

They're ok. They mostly travel so I don't see them much. We have a social function now and then to spend a little time together, but I have nothing in common with them really. And it bugs the crap out of me that they know absolutely nothing about computers. But their ignorance is my salary, so I can't complain too much.

-Do you have any piercings and if you do, do you have to hide them or take them out at work?

I used to have a couple of piercings back in school, but one day just took them out and for some reason never put them back. That's a while ago.

I think it's a bit sad that you should hide 'who you are' in that sense. But that's just one of the joys of earning a living, right?

As far as sticking to rules, this is where I draw the line. I'm colouring my hair black-blue this weekend, tough cookies if they have a problem.

Wow, this feels like I've just done an intro thread.

Alas! Must it ever be so?
Do we stand in our own light, wherever we go,
And fight our own shadows forever?
- Edward Bulwer-Lytton
Nevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 08:49 PM   #28
Lucretia_my_Reflection

-Were do you work?
Catering & baby sitting
No
The lip one comes out and a band aid over my eyebrow
None
They do care
Lucretia_my_Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 08:53 PM   #29
IsolatedReptile

-Were do you work?
FYE (Retail, CD Sales)

Currently, not so much.

You would have to take them out, but I do not have any.

In my company no matter the time of year no one asks about long sleeves and turtlenecks under the uniform.

Unfortunately now. I'd have blue hair if I could though. I always wanted it even if for a week. They frown upon odd hair cuts too, with the exception of being bald.
IsolatedReptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 04:04 AM   #30
badteccy

-Were do you work?
Movers Specialty Service, Accounting Dept. Today is my last day though!

Only a select few

I do not.

Long Sleeves?

My hair is black so it's all cool
badteccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 07:12 AM   #31
Pale Empress

-Were do you work?
College and home

Yes

Yes and no I don't have to hind any

plastic piercing bars etc and long sleeves for tattoos

yes

I am a bellydance tutor and the more extreme my costume when performing the better and I work for goth record label so fit in ok ;-)

I have had jobs in the past where i've had to keep tattoos covered which can be frustrating (and warm) at times but hayho ;-)
Pale Empress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 02:42 AM   #32
msr.iaidoka

OCD Insomnia,

1. Local law enforcement agency
2. Some. Others need to cease existing before they get someone killed.
3. No piercings and they would need to be hidden. One tattoo and it needs to be hidden by the uniform. There are a few who have small tattoos where they are visible.
4. No tips. My tattoo is naturally hidden by my uniform.
5. "Natural" hair colors are allowed and few unnatural ones on females such as the red dye that no one could possibly be born with. Does not affect me since my hair is trimmed to a "1."

Proposed additional question: What is the facial hair policy at your work?

Blending in with the "normal" folks,

Matt
msr.iaidoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 04:53 AM   #33
raggedyanne

-Were do you work?
I do clerical work. Mostly for the airplane mechanic. During the summer I put in some hours at my grandpa's bike shop.

Most of the time, yes. Working with a bunch of 20 something guys gets a little interesting, but it's fun when they're not trying to hit on me.

Currently, two holes in each ear and planning to get an industrial. I don't have to take anything out. The guys in the bike shop have more extreme piercings than I do.

None yet. But once again, my co-workers are mechanics.

They don't care. I just file papers and mess with bikes. At the airport some of the older guys find it "intriguing" as to why I dye it, but my bike shop guys think bright orange streaks are awesome.
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
raggedyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 09:01 PM   #34
Johnny Gnar Gnar

Ok, here is the new one, for my new job.
-Were do you work? I work for Sierra Trading Post, a.k.a. the most Christian jobplace in the world!
-Do you enjoy your co-workers? I enjoy three of them. One is a fly fisher, two are anti-government anti-everything kinda people. As for the rest, if they spout about how I am going to hell one more time, I may have a breakdown.
-Do you have any piercings and if you do, do you have to hide them or take them out? I have quite a few piercings. The good news is simply this . . . these people do not understand the difference between a four gauge and an aught (sp?) gauge!
-tips on hiding piercings or tattoos? I have to wear long friggin' sleeves every day to work!
-Hair color: Oh hell no, unless you are a uber-conservative Christian. God forbid the day I decide to redo my hair color!

*Addendum* Can we tell I do not like my current job? All I am after is enough money to survive until they (A) Fire me (B) I find a better job by moving somewhere else!

*Edit: Wyoming is a right to work state, as long as you are an employer. Right to work may as well be the opposite. I could show up tomorow, and they could fire me for absolutely no reason, aside from the fact they do not like my shirt . . . god I hate this state!
Johnny Gnar Gnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 09:12 PM   #35
Rae Ven Rae

I work from home (writer singer) make decent money--my hubby is corporate so he makes more--as boring as it sounds, I am primarily stay at home mommy who does some artsy stuff from time to time...
Rae Ven Rae is offline   Reply With Quote