Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:39 AM   #1
honeythorn

Feel really bad but also a bit annoyed :(

Ok, so my friend was good enough to find an evenings work for me,( she works for a job agency ) doing a nightshift 10pm-6am while I am laid off my main job ,until they get more orders in. I did that last night, and said I would go back again today if they needed me. She said they did indeed want me back this evening.

BUT.

At about 4PM today, my boss from my main job called, to say I am needed back tomorrow as the orders are in ect. Since I have to be in work from 8 am I obviously can't do the nightshift tonight as well. Since it's an agency position and therefore temporary, I can say that I can't go in, effectively cancelling my contract with them. Obviously I contacted my friend immediately, saying that I was really really sorry but I wouldn't be able to do the work anymore. I asked if she had enough time to draft someone else in, as there are always people looking for work.

She quite understandably got very pissed off at me, because I have effectively landed her in the shitter, as I had said I could go, and now I can't. But what annoys me is this:

She said to me " why can't you tell them you can't go in tomorrow ? " THIS IS MY FULL TIME JOB. I can't just call back , and state that I am not coming in because I am doing something else. That would basically cost me my job. She can't seem to grasp this at all. She then said " well can't you call in sick? " o.0 NO, because the boss rang about five minutes ago and I was clearly not ill.

I feel really terrible for putting her at such an inconvenience ( especially as she drove me there and back when she didn't have to ) and I can understand she is very pissed off, I would be as well. But what gets me is she cannot seem to understand that I am not willing to risk a full time job for one or two nights agency work. I desperately need the money for Whitby and rent, and those couple of nightshifts simply won't cover it.

I just feel so awful and conflicted, and a complete bitch. I feel I have no right to be annoyed ( and I don't really as she is the one who will get hassle for my cancelling ) but her callousness about my situation with my main job really bugs the shit out of me. I just really hope she doesn't stop speaking to me over this

Sorry, I needed to get that off my chest
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:11 PM   #2
emeraldlonewoulf

So sorry, honeythorn. its too bad things worked out that way. By any chance is the temp work something that could lead to a full-time position? Other avenues might be worth looking into if they keep laying you off all the time. I hope your friend finds a solution to her dilemma. She has got to understand that you can't sacrifice your primary employment though.

question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper of Death
(shouts) WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG??!!?
answer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneath the Shadows
Because some people are dicks. And not everyone else is gay.
emeraldlonewoulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:27 PM   #3
Beneath the Shadows

Did you tell your friend that when your regular job needed you back, you'd be going back no ifs ands or buts, right? If so, then she should've been expecting something like this to happen sooner or later, and she should be more understanding.

And no, you not working that night shift does not put her "in the shitter." It's only a black mark against you if you ever try working through that agency again.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 01:55 PM   #4
honeythorn

Emerald, no it wouldn't lead to a full time job there. They only needed people to help get a big order out.

BTS, what I meant by "in the shitter" was that she hald told the people that I would be able to do the job, and she has now had to call back and say that no I can't, and they will be one person down tonight.

I feel like such a bitch But I didn't know my boss would call today, and I really can't risk losing that job. I know they muck me about with laying me on and off ( it isn't just me by the way, it is most people in the factory ) but I worked hard to get that full time position, and had to learn how to operate and set the machines to get it. It's the longest full time job I've managed to keep and I can't lose it.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:48 PM   #5
Beneath the Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeythorn
BTS, what I meant by "in the shitter" was that she hald told the people that I would be able to do the job, and she has now had to call back and say that no I can't, and they will be one person down tonight.
Yes, I know that. I also know that since job agencies aren't exactly the most reliable, the companies who get work through them know that they might not always get all the people they need. That's just how it works.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:04 PM   #6
Crying_Crimson_Tears

I understand what it feels like to work in a factory like that and try to be kept for longer than just a part time employee. My mom does too, she just got laid off and she thought she had a full time job. So it's crucial to try to keep your bosses happy and keep your job. Your friend needs to understand that. Yes you made a commitment (sort of) to your friend, but full time versus part time needs to register with her. Ask her if you can sit down with her over a cup of coffee and try to explain your side and she can explain hers and see if you two can get somewhere with it.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:20 PM   #7
MollyMac

You don't understand what it's like, don't pretend to understand. You have never been in that environment. These aren't shoes you fit into because you know someone that owns a pair.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:06 PM   #8
blindNsect

If she asked you to call in sick to your full-time job why can't you call in sick to the part time job?
blindNsect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 07:20 PM   #9
Tea and Cake or Death

Oh, wow. Well, you made the right choice, obviously. As hard as it sounds, you have to look out for whats best for you. How much trouble is your friend going to be in? Like, will she get a write up or something? I'm sure after a while she will see that you did what you had to do and forgive you. It may just take time. Although, you realize, if you get laid off again from your regular job, she's not too likely to help you out again.
Tea and Cake or Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 08:55 PM   #10
emeraldlonewoulf

Well, good luck, good jobs are increasingly scarce, at least on this side of the pond things have deteriorated a bit, so I understand your needing to stay with a job you've had for a while. Hopefully they'll get some large clients and won't be so fickle about production schedules?

What do you guys make, anyway?

question:
Quote:
answer:
Quote:
Old 03-21-2008, 08:56 PM   #11
LaBelleDameSansMerci

The friend shouldn't get a write-up for something that isn't her fault.
I think you made the right choice, honeythorn. I hope it all works out for you
Like a tea-tray in the sky.

LaBelleDameSansMerci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 12:10 AM   #12
Wormboy

You did the right thing Claire. Honestly, she should understand that a full time job that pays more regularly will take presidence over the fly by night part time wing and a prayer miracle check that you need just to make sure they dont repo men on you.

Kontan - "Eventually, you ended up looking like the freaking grim reaper towards the end of the game.
Now we got this cracked out jungle hobo...."
Wormboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 07:53 AM   #13
honeythorn

Hi thanks guys. We have sorted it now and are getting on again. She gets it now I think. I reckon she was so angry because I called at the last moment ( I didn't know though ) and there wasn't much time to sort it out. But we're all good now. If I get laid off again I will just go back to my old agency from last year.

Emerald - We make boxes for glassware. Royal Doultan, Harrods, Debenhams ect. The sort you get sets of wineglasses or decanters in. The boxes are lined with "satin" over card inserts to keep the glasses seperate. I'm part of a team that operates one of the machines that makes the boxes. I'm usually on the end rubbing the edges down, stacking them and putting them into cages or onto pallettes. I also do some of the packing, and shift pallettes stacked up to 7 feet high full of boxes around the factory.
Old 03-22-2008, 05:32 PM   #14
Crying_Crimson_Tears

I'm glad to hear things worked out!!! I hope things continue to work smoothly for you guys.

Best wishes at your job.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 09:55 PM   #15
emeraldlonewoulf

Heh. Well, as far as products go, a least you are making something a bit interesting. My last factory job was in a roofing plant. Melting waste plastics, oil, petroleum based additives, etc. are not the most sweet smelling concoction imaginable. Thank heaven I was in the lab most of the time.

I'm glad you got everything sorted out with your friend. Hopefully you won't need temp employment for a while now, and will be able to get steady hours.

question:
Quote:
answer:
Quote: