Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:26 PM   #26
LakitaJackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_in_the_Pack View Post
I'm fine with mediocrity. Hell, almost EVERY fucking small time punk band is rubbish by the standards of music, but god damn it, it's pure rubbish.

My qualm with Lady Gaga is that she's what so many other musicians are these days, she's a whore. She sells (bad) CDs. She's not an artist, she's barely a singer, she's a salesperson.
With the gimmick that she may or may not have 12 inches of man-meat, of course.
LakitaJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:30 PM   #27
oktoberschilde

Location: I have Flying Monkeys; And I am not afraid to use them!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_in_the_Pack View Post
I'm fine with mediocrity. Hell, almost EVERY fucking small time punk band is rubbish by the standards of music, but god damn it, it's pure rubbish.

My qualm with Lady Gaga is that she's what so many other musicians are these days, she's a whore. She sells (bad) CDs. She's not an artist, she's barely a singer, she's a salesperson.
Fuckin' well said Joker.

The Infamous Mr. Oktober
oktoberschilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:34 PM   #28
Still Jack

She is hilarious though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYr_DZSOdkk
Old 11-19-2009, 11:39 PM   #29
oktoberschilde

Location: I have Flying Monkeys; And I am not afraid to use them!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Jack View Post
I am sorry I am done with this. It is just getting too weird. See yah!!!

The Infamous Mr. Oktober
oktoberschilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:46 PM   #30
Krick Wurkheiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by D0PPLEGANGER View Post
While you and I may laugh at the notion of her being considered a musician, a lyricist, or god forbid an artist, you must understand the pandemic of retardation that has eclipsed popular culture this last decade.

In this abhorrent age people celebrate mediocrity above all else.
Yes, of course. You're right, unfortunately.
Krick Wurkheiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:31 AM   #31
JCC

The past ten years have been great culturally and anyone that disagrees hasn't been paying attention, instead electing to stick their fingers in their ears so that come 2010 they can spout off with their pretentious bullshit about how popular culture is a sluice and they would shudder at the very thought of listening to anything recorded in the past couple of decades. Fuck them.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:21 AM   #32
Not Tha Duckman

Thumbs down

Quote:
OMG! She writes her own songs!?!? What a colossal talent!!
You better come up with proof that you're capable of writing music and lyrics capable of winning awards if you want to keep up with yr misguided sarcasm, dickhead.
Not Tha Duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 05:29 PM   #33
D0PPLEGANGER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Tha Duckman View Post
You better come up with proof that you're capable of writing music and lyrics capable of winning awards if you want to keep up with yr misguided sarcasm, dickhead.
Lol. Believe me, you’re the misguided one. These days winning an award is a sure sign of total artistic failure and nothing else. But keep the faith fanboy, after all, it’s undiscerning people like you that that shit is targeted for!!
D0PPLEGANGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 05:49 PM   #34
Krick Wurkheiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
The past ten years have been great culturally and anyone that disagrees hasn't been paying attention, instead electing to stick their fingers in their ears so that come 2010 they can spout off with their pretentious bullshit about how popular culture is a sluice and they would shudder at the very thought of listening to anything recorded in the past couple of decades. Fuck them.
No, they have not. I've kept my eyes and ears open, and with a few exceptions its all been shite. I'm not a high-brow art critic prick, the fact is just that, aided by the advent of technology, everything is becoming homogenized and inbred musically speaking. Popular culture is a sluice (always has been, to varying degrees) and you'd have to be blind not to see that. I do listen to new music, but I honestly can't find a lot I really want to hear. As Lux Interior said, anything good out of any decade has been stamped on.

Last edited by Krick Wurkheiser; 11-20-2009 at 05:51 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-20-2009, 05:50 PM   #35
Krick Wurkheiser

Quote:
These days winning an award is a sure sign of total artistic failure and nothing else.
Amen to that, lol
Old 11-20-2009, 06:01 PM   #36
Not Tha Duckman

Thumbs down

Quote:
Lol. Believe me, you’re the misguided one. These days winning an award is a sure sign of total artistic failure and nothing else. But keep the faith fanboy, after all, it’s undiscerning people like you that that shit is targeted for!!
I'd actually never heard of the chick in question until this thread. I listen to primarily noise and experimental electronic and have been making music since before you were a zygote. Unless you can fucking wow the shit out of me with something you come up with, you can't say a God damn thing about anyone else's abilities, or lack thereof.
Not Tha Duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:39 PM   #37
sibyl vane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krick Wurkheiser View Post
I do listen to new music, but I honestly can't find a lot I really want to hear. As Lux Interior said, anything good out of any decade has been stamped on.
Then you're not listening hard enough. The Internet has given millions of bands opportunities they could've never got before. There has never been so much new music available.
sibyl vane. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 02:05 AM   #38
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibyl vane. View Post
Then you're not listening hard enough. The Internet has given millions of bands opportunities they could've never got before. There has never been so much new music available.
This.

You're just uninformed. I've compiled a list of albums released in 2009 that might make my top ten and there are hundreds in there, logically if I made a list for the whole decade I would have thousands. I just don't think you pay attention to what's going on, or you have narrow taste.
Old 11-21-2009, 05:42 AM   #39
D0PPLEGANGER

Quote:
I'd actually never heard of the chick in question until this thread. I listen to primarily noise and experimental electronic and have been making music since before you were a zygote. Unless you can fucking wow the shit out of me with something you come up with, you can't say a God damn thing about anyone else's abilities, or lack thereof.
I don't live by those rules. If you put something out in the public domain it's open to criticism and ridicule and so it should be. It's a form of quality control, or at least it used to be before people became so excruciatingly dumb. If someone makes a cake and it tastes like shit you complain to the chef.

Anyway, FYI yes i do make music, but i fail to see what purpose showing it to you would serve. I am not looking for the approval or disapproval of random people i find on the interwebs just yet.

Also, Gaga is a dude,not a chick.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:02 AM   #40
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
Sure you can. Constant criticism is part of what keeps artists making good shit. Whilst it does seem that the best musicians are often more concerned with impressing their peers and people they respect than a public who gravitate catatonically toward the top 40, that doesn't mean nobody but a musician can criticise poorly made music, that only poets can criticise badly written poetry, or that only coma victims can criticise Tracy Emin.

Quote:
I don't live by those rules. If you put something out in the public domain it's open to criticism and ridicule and so it should be. It's a form of quality control, or at least it used to be before people became so excruciatingly dumb. If someone makes a cake and it tastes like shit you complain to the chef.
Yup. This.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 06:07 AM   #41
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Quote:

Anyway, FYI yes i do make music, but i fail to see what purpose showing it to you would serve. I am not looking for the approval or disapproval of random people i find on the interwebs just yet.

Also, Gaga is a dude,not a chick.
Lady Gaga is a Hemafrodite.

This is just on the topic of this website supposedly being public domain. Technecly speaking this is a privately owned website, privately moderated website. Legally speaking it is not public domain, just like how for example, a church is not public domain, the owner has the right to shut this website down whenever they want without consulting anybody.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 07:16 AM   #42
D0PPLEGANGER

Quote:
Please. The 2000s have been an appalling decade for music culture. What are people going to remember from this decade? The auto tune voice effect?! The bastardization of songs from the eighties?? Shitty indie bands with one recognisable song?? Even hip-hop, which was always pretty retarded has reached new levels of degradation.

Take bands like the Killers, or the Editors or any of those shitty post-punk wannabes. Basically they take at random the catchiest 80s choruses and reassemble them as pointless, lightweight trash. Why don’t they just become cover bands and spare us all the hideous reconstituted monstrosities they churn forth from their laboratories?

Disclaimer: Obviously I’m being a little bit facetious and I’m sure there are a handful or so remarkable bands that have slipped by my radar but my point is that taken as a whole this decade has been an enormous step down in terms of music. Even in the electronic/experimental genre (and it’s here if anywhere where there will have been growth and I invite recommendations) I haven’t really seen anyone step it up from Aphex Twin, Autechre or Boards of Canada.

A word on Videogames: although most of my favourite games are definitely from the early to mid-nineties I’d be a fool to say there hadn’t been massive developments of a kind since then. I do find that games from the last ten years or so usually have a tendency to be too easy or too cinematic (games are not movies) and there also seems to be an over saturation of JRPGs on the market.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:17 AM   #43
D0PPLEGANGER

Quote:
Quantity does not equal quality.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:21 AM   #44
JCC

Quote:
Please. The 2000s have been an appalling decade for music culture. What are people going to remember from this decade? The auto tune voice effect?! The bastardization of songs from the eighties?? Shitty indie bands with one recognisable song?? Even hip-hop, which was always pretty retarded has reached new levels of degradation.

Take bands like the Killers, or the Editors or any of those shitty post-punk wannabes. Basically they take at random the catchiest 80s choruses and reassemble them as pointless, lightweight trash. Why don’t they just become cover bands and spare us all the hideous reconstituted monstrosities they churn forth from their laboratories?
Nice one, fuckwit, you choose the worst bands from a decade and then use that as a justification for saying that the whole decade was artistically bereft. Fuck the '60s, there were no artists in the '60s. I know this because of Tiny Tim.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:36 AM   #45
D0PPLEGANGER

Quote:
Nice one, fuckwit, you choose the worst bands from a decade and then use that as a justification for saying that the whole decade was artistically bereft.

Defensive aren’t we?! I’m guessing you came of age during this revolting shit-storm??!
Old 11-21-2009, 07:55 AM   #46
JCC

I'm not defensive, I only called you a fuckwit.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:36 AM   #47
sibyl vane.

Quote:
Quantity does not equal quality.
Sure it doesn't--but you're not seriously telling me that out of millions of bands there aren't at least a few that are pretty talented?
Old 11-21-2009, 09:37 AM   #48
D0PPLEGANGER

Quote:
Sure it doesn't--but you're not seriously telling me that out of millions of bands there aren't at least a few that are pretty talented?
Read my above post. I said "I’m sure there are a handful or so remarkable bands that have slipped by my radar".

The point really is that the 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s all had very distinctive musical styles emerge within them. And every style had ambitious pioneering individuals at their helm. The 2000s have what exactly?! South African Psytrance? Summer Pop?
Old 11-21-2009, 09:51 AM   #49
badteccy

Quote:
Oh fucking Christ, not another one...................

Are you talking about "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" CINDI Lauper? Bitch, she kicks as holes.
CYNDI Lauper
badteccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:19 AM   #50
sibyl vane.

Quote:
Read my above post. I said "I’m sure there are a handful or so remarkable bands that have slipped by my radar".

The point really is that the 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s all had very distinctive musical styles emerge within them. And every style had ambitious pioneering individuals at their helm. The 2000s have what exactly?! South African Psytrance? Summer Pop?
There are many, many, many remarkable bands that seem to have slipped by your radar.

Also, you're arguing for something else now. You're saying that the 00s have not had one definitive style, and I can agree with that -- it's because music has exploded in such a big way. It's not necessarily a bad thing.