Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 01-06-2008, 01:55 PM   #1
Zenit

Stupid people. Do they exist?

Really, I would like to know what a stupid person is. Nobody has ever given me a good definition of what qualifies as a stupid/dumb person is. Anyone care to give it a shot?

In my opinion, there has never, ever been born a stupid person on the face of this planet. There are no such thing. Every person is born with a predisposition to certain skills, and we are, without a doubt, intelligent beings. So really people, discuss, because I think it is a really big issue that needs to be resolved.

"Nutrizone can kiss my pale, decayed ass"
-Draconysius
Zenit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 03:33 PM   #2
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenit
In my opinion, there has never, ever been born a stupid person on the face of this planet. There are no such thing. Every person is born with a predisposition to certain skills, and we are, without a doubt, intelligent beings. So really people, discuss, because I think it is a really big issue that needs to be resolved.
It's all relative, of course. Clearly all humans are intelligent when compared with less mentally sophisticated organisms, but within the species there exist certain individuals who, in their intellectual capacities, are inherently inferior to others. Even while 'intelligence' is certainly an umbrella term for various only tenuously related faculties, this isn't D&D we're talking about- just because god skimped on the musical aptitude doesn't mean you have more points to spend on propensity for language. That someone, somewhere out there, is better than you are in absolutely every regard is possible. Sucks, but those are the breaks.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 04:28 PM   #3
StasisInDarkness

No, stupid people are just an urban legend.
StasisInDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 05:08 PM   #4
Darklight689

Despite what stasis said yes there are such thing as stupid people. they rule the world for the most part, the stupid people are in my opinion, the sheep of what we call society. The mainstream fools who constantly need the guidance of another to lead them, for without a leader they are weak and meaningless incapable of making their own decisions. This is of course not counting the leaders of society.

We make fun of these leaders like George Bush and call them stupid, but i would put them a step above the average person in the sense they have some degree of power or at least the illusion of it as to which these people follow. If you are still following me that is good.

Last thing to mention are posers fall under the catagory of number 1. Those are the people who pretend to be something their not non comformist included when their actions and words have no backing other then someone elses view. These my friend are what defines stupid people aka sheeple.
Darklight689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 05:16 PM   #5
dark_dragon_of_ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklight689
Despite what stasis said yes there are such thing as stupid people. they rule the world for the most part, the stupid people are in my opinion, the sheep of what we call society. The mainstream fools who constantly need the guidance of another to lead them, for without a leader they are weak and meaningless incapable of making their own decisions. This is of course not counting the leaders of society.

We make fun of these leaders like George Bush and call them stupid, but i would put them a step above the average person in the sense they have some degree of power or at least the illusion of it as to which these people follow. If you are still following me that is good.

Last thing to mention are posers fall under the catagory of number 1. Those are the people who pretend to be something their not non comformist included when their actions and words have no backing other then someone elses view. These my friend are what defines stupid people aka sheeple.
Did you find that in the angsty teenage weekly?
dark_dragon_of_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 05:49 PM   #6
StasisInDarkness

I'm so sarcastic my irony goes unnoticed! Huzzah for me!
StasisInDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 05:54 PM   #7
Methadrine

If they exist? Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrey Pine
felicia, wrist cutter waana' be grl wafer, in welfare, yur si lame, ee mak yo sick ta me stomach, we doant u git ee reel life, woking it, att am-pamm dis nit cut it in moomy's wrld is oo jok ta me, why did u help sambody wit thee hungry in af''rica er som'thing???? UUU-jok--thread, must bee kid'ing wright????
Quote:
da yong dumb spook look is ovrdone, its lik yur 12 yrs old and u think yur a trend set 'er, but yur jus't a little yung adult, on 20 yrs, you'll be laughing at yur self,,,i dressed lik a fag goon, ee, wus so im'mature, i glad i grew up,,,,stupid fool....i wus, whin i wus in my baby teens, gothic system grl, wher is me mommy, whin i need u yur help, trendie hip hop gal, to &fro, now emm a gathic kook daddy...
Quote:
ee, aint nee troll freek, u troller yur' self, we u hassel mee, kook...u baby goth wanna'''be heavy--weight darkness garthic weirdo, me yu bst friend on dis forum,,,,,oh dark one.....lit me troll u noww....
Quote:
leeeet, me troll uuuu, now all thee time...

me are troll, u my new victim kook little kid.....dress up haloweenn babvy childd...
I think we all agree on a big friggin' loud YES here.

"Meow. Mew. Mrow. Maow? Miaox." - Lovely Delkaetre speaks cat.
Methadrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:01 PM   #8
L'Oiseau Noir

Yes, they do--I'm one of them.

"I love Wagner, but the music I prefer is that of a cat hung up by its tail outside a window and trying to stick to the panes of glass with its claws." - Charles Baudelaire

L'Oiseau Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:51 PM   #9
Drake Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus
Even while 'intelligence' is certainly an umbrella term for various only tenuously related faculties, this isn't D&D we're talking about- just because god skimped on the musical aptitude doesn't mean you have more points to spend on propensity for language.
ROFL. Although that sounds more like GURPS. In D&D you *can* just get screwed in every respect.

Obviously people do not fall into two categories of "stupid" and "not stupid", but yes, there is such a thing as just being less or more intelligent than another person, just as there is such a thing as being less or more physically powerful than another person.

Drake
Drake Dun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 07:57 PM   #10
Darklight689

no i didnt find that in a magazine. if you guys read my intro i like to write and sometimes i write like that. depends on the mood im trying to set. hmm....i should sell my writing skills but wouldnt that make me a whore
Old 01-06-2008, 08:07 PM   #11
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklight689
no i didnt find that in a magazine. if you guys read my intro i like to write and sometimes i write like that. depends on the mood im trying to set. hmm....i should sell my writing skills but wouldnt that make me a whore
I don't think dark dragon was saying you're a good writer. I'm pretty sure he was saying you sound like an angsty teenager.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:26 PM   #12
Darklight689

Well damn. i was only defining stupid people >=(. I mean someone asked what stupid was and that WAS one definition. Difference between me and the "angsty teenagers" you are refering to is i do my research and can and do back up my opinions. im not saying the whole world is stupid but i am very picky about people. I dont much appreciate compared to being one of those people i was just defining.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:28 PM   #13
Kanedawg

It has been said that stupid is as stupid does. I never feel entirely certain that people in general actually exist though. They appear to.
Kanedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 10:02 PM   #14
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
People make stupid decisions. And there are more and less educated people, for which said education allows the more enlightened people to make less stupid decisions, but sometimes well educated people make the larger follies too.

So stupid people? Maybe not born that way, but stupid decisions? ALL of us are guilty of that at one time or another. Anyone who says otherwise is simply making another stupid decision to try and hide what we all know to be true.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 10:11 PM   #15
Kanedawg

Good point. We all do stupid things.
Kanedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 10:24 PM   #16
Mir

Ditto Humanepain! I always thought that people are not born stupid, they are characterized as being stupid for the decisions they have made during the course of their life.
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 04:38 AM   #17
Valerius

Of course they exist! However, defining stupid would be just as hard as threshing out what the term 'intelligence' really means. What makes us stupid, I think, is what types of choices we make in life, just like what Humane pointed out.

If it quacks like a duck...

-Oscar Van den Boogaard, Dutch pacifist
Valerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 04:44 AM   #18
Beneath the Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenit
Really, I would like to know what a stupid person is. Nobody has ever given me a good definition of what qualifies as a stupid/dumb person is. Anyone care to give it a shot?

It's possible to be intelligent and stupid at the same time.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:33 AM   #19
Mir

How so?

I'm not disagreeing with you, I just want to know why you make that statement.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:54 AM   #20
Solumina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mir
How so?

I'm not disagreeing with you, I just want to know why you make that statement.
Let me use my brother as an example he got a 1500 on his SAT (when the highest score you could get was still 1600), his math score was perfect. He slept through both his AB and BC calculus classes (there were only 5 other students in his BC calc class as it is so advances) and managed to get A's in both as well as getting 5's on each corresponding AP test. He has also carved his name (first and last) in a driveway and when asked by a cop if he did it his answer was no it must have been someone else (he was 17 and sober at the time). He has also used unacceptable language (racial slurs used not out of hate but stupidity) in the frat house of a traditionally black fraternity and would have gotten himself beaten to within an inch of his life if not for the quick thinking (and quicker talking) of his best friend. He also once managed to staple his thumbnail to his thumb (we are still not sure how). Oh and he decided that the car he drives didn't need any maintenance for about a year and a helf and then tried to drive it to North Carolina (about an 8 hour drive from where he was) and well the car made it about half way.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:03 AM   #21
Mir

I'm not sure if that is stupid as much as it is clumsy, crass and insensitive.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:11 AM   #22
Solumina

We (family and friends) tend to just think of him as lacking the filter that sorts out the things you should and should not do because he really does seem to do whatever pops into his head. That list is only the beginning of the things he has done; I assure you that he is a moron, a genius, but still a moron
-Carbon Leaf
Old 01-07-2008, 11:16 AM   #23
Mir

I like the sound of him. I would construe his actions as being very honest and direct. I would like to meet more people like that.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:22 AM   #24
Solumina

I forgot to mention that while he is very direct he is also a bit of an ass, not by any means the worst guy to be around (he sure knows how to have one hell of a good time and you never have to wonder about his honesty) but he can also be a huge pain in the ass (he thinks about himself and therefore he does whatever would be the most fun for him so he will sometimes drink all of your beer, then puke on your hard wood floors, then leave the next day leaving you to clean up all of the cans, bottles, puke, and whatnot)
-Carbon Leaf
Old 01-07-2008, 11:26 AM   #25
Mir

Ha, that sounds disturbingly like me. Not to the extent where I am a pain in someones ass but to the point where I will or won't hang out with someone depending on how much fun I think I will have.

I would never puke on someone's floor though and not clean up. I'm described as overly sensitive and I afford others the same luxury.