Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 01-23-2009, 04:14 PM   #26
Beneath the Shadows

If that's shame, then I like it. Excuse me while I go shame myself again.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:12 PM   #27
Fae-wolf

i'm glad you have confidence in yourself!
Fae-wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 12:29 AM   #28
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Mond
I've only gotten as far as a massive erection upon seeing myself in a mirror.
I've had that! No shit.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 12:29 PM   #29
Metabolik

Man I don't even need a mirror to ejaculate to my gorgeousness.

It just... happens, you know?
Old 01-25-2009, 01:32 PM   #30
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
I've had that! No shit.
Capture it on video. Until then, I don't think you're worthy of your own bohnars.
Albert Mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 02:36 PM   #31
LetheanBlacklight

Quote:
Originally Posted by $haDe
Wrong, clothes are the best.
No, -taking off- clothes is the best. *usually*
Old 02-07-2009, 02:25 PM   #32
blackwater1110

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Shall Be Judged
Pity not the Judge for having more self-control than a blue balled dog faced with a tempting looking leg. Rather, aspire to the state of perfection which allows you to finish a sentence without drenching yourself in shame. Mastery shall be yours with a little practice.
That. Restrictive clause. You fail.

Perhaps the Judge should spend more time on substance and less on form.
blackwater1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 02:32 PM   #33
All Shall Be Judged

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwater1110

Restrictive clauses are not technically incorrect, just verbose. The verbose mode of communication is perfectly legitimate; indeed, for one with as much to say for herself as me, it is a vehicle of truth.

To put it succinctly: your judgement call relies upon distinctions which are entirely subjective, and therefore worthless to anyone other than yourself.

Enjoy them nonetheless.
All Shall Be Judged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 02:43 PM   #34
Mir

First off, I must say that I've enjoyed reading your posts. However, I have to point out that:

Quote:
To put it succinctly: your judgement call relies upon distinctions which are entirely subjective, and therefore worthless to anyone other than yourself.
This can also, succinctly as you put it, be used in response to your own claims of beauty, superiority, etcetera.
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 02:46 PM   #35
All Shall Be Judged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mir
This can also, succinctly as you put it, be used in response to your own claims of beauty, superiority, etcetera.
Not so; I am the one absolute which exists in the otherwise subjective mosaic which forms the universe. Because I say so.

I like you though. I half want to make you into a militant pedant, but I think I shall leave you be as an expression of diversity.
Old 02-07-2009, 02:51 PM   #36
Mir

That made me smile. You have the makings of a good writer.

Also, I really like the way you go about expressing yourself. It's refreshing.
Old 02-07-2009, 03:02 PM   #37
All Shall Be Judged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mir
That made me smile. You have the makings of a good writer.

Also, I really like the way you go about expressing yourself. It's refreshing.
I believe you're in the minority there, but thank you, and congratulations upon your ability to recognise sublimity.

I can't say this officially until I complete the paperwork, but off the record -welcome to Paradise.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:55 PM   #38
blackwater1110

Quote:
Restrictive clauses are not technically incorrect, just verbose. The verbose mode of communication is perfectly legitimate; indeed, for one with as much to say for herself as me, it is a vehicle of truth.

Enjoy them nonetheless.
It is ironic that one with a name such as yours would be unable to properly discern the content of my argument. Nevertheless, and due to my benevolent nature, I will patiently explain to my budding neophyte the full ramifications of my three word check-and-mate:

Quote:
Quote:
Pity not the Judge for having more self-control than a blue balled dog faced with a tempting looking leg. Rather, aspire to the state of perfection which allows you to finish a sentence without drenching yourself in shame. Mastery shall be yours with a little practice.

My argument is not that it is impossible to use the nonrestrictive clause here, but that no matter what your intentions, you have proven yourself fallible, and thus dethroned yourself from the position of omnipotent judge.

Allow me to analyze all possible scenarios in order to demonstrate your assured descent from grace:

Scenario A: You meant exactly what you said. If so, using a nonrestrictive clause here would imply that there are multiple, equally perfect, but different, states of perfection, which is impossible. Once something is perfect it conforms to the ideal type. Therefore, by proclaiming multiple states of perfection, you have told a lie, proving your fallibility and thus your unsuitability for role as judge.

Scenario B: Same as above, but you, being perfect, offer indisputable proof of the existence of multiple states of perfection. In so doing, you would have to recognize the relativity of perfection, and in so doing, disqualify yourself from your own superiority and fitness for role as judge.

Scenario C: You meant to say what I think you meant to say: "...aspire to the state of perfection that allows you to finish a sentence without drenching yourself in shame." Were this the sentence you had typed, then there would indeed be only one state of perfection, and the possibility would have remained that you had attained it--but that's not what you typed, so no soup for you.

Scenario D: You meant to say ""...aspire to the state of perfection, which allows you to finish a sentence without drenching yourself in shame." This comma would similarly transform your sentence into an authoritative statement. Close, but no cigar.

In closing, allow me to quote from the master:

Quote:
Also, "judgement" is spelled without that middle e.

I am the law.
blackwater1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 04:51 AM   #39
JCC

Quote:
Not in British English, pansy.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 05:45 AM   #40
All Shall Be Judged

Quote:
It is ironic that one with a name such as yours would be unable to properly discern the content of my argument. Nevertheless, and due to my benevolent nature, I will patiently explain to my budding neophyte the full ramifications of my three word check-and-mate:
My above post to Mir made this drivel superfluous, even before it was posted. However, given the woeful limitations your poor reading comprehension skills places upon your ability to process simple sentences, I shall, in my infinite compassion, go through it once more.

To repeat, everything in the universe is subjective but me.

Therefore, everything is subjective - UNTIL (and herein lies the paradox which you must endeavor to wrap your tiny mind around if you wish to grasp the nature of reality) I say so.

This means that your judgement (yes, that's how we spell it in civilised countries) is erroneous by virtue of purporting to be absolute, when it is in fact entirely subjective.

Your attempts to cloud the issue by pretending to know dick about linguistics, however, are laughable. This is NOT a subjective statement, because it is made by me. Are you beginning to understand?

The Judge changes mood now and then - ergo, multiple states of perfection exist, in order to accommodate any shift she may undergo at any point in time.

In conclusion: your argument is worthless.

Quote:

I am the law.
Perhaps, in countries which are so confused by silent letters that they'd rather look silly by spelling it "labor" than simply learn to master the written language. In more civilised countries, however, we are able to do this without any major problems. You must forgive us if we occasionally forget that the burden of processing an extra letter is a great one for those who hail from lands determined to bastardize the English language.

Once again, you are entirely wrong. How frustrating this must be for you.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:04 AM   #41
JCC

Hey Judge, if you can cyberspar with those entirely undeserving of your greatness, surely you can get your perfectly-crafted and unreservedly desirable ass onto MSN?
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 06:37 AM   #42
viscus

Quote:
You must forgive us if we occasionally forget that the burden of processing an extra letter is a great one for those who hail from lands determined to bastardize the English language.
It's a bastard language to begin with.

Just sayin'.

"Now some of you may encounter the devil's bargain if you get that far. Any old soul is worth saving at least to a priest, but not every soul is worth buying. So you can take the offer as a compliment."

-William S. Burroughs

You're not entitled to your opinion.
viscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:06 AM   #43
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
I believe you're in the minority there
I don't know about that - they sure are lining up to be judged.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:24 AM   #44
PortraitOfSanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscus
It's a bastard language to begin with.

Just sayin'.
This.

messagetooshort

I don't hate you. Saying I hate you would be like saying I hate a dog with no legs trying to cross a busy freeway.
-Mr. Filth
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:46 AM   #45
Catch

Bastards now have a secret language that they made up. It's funny what a person can do when they live in a one parent household.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:03 PM   #46
PortraitOfSanity

I love when Catch makes a dumb comment because she misinterpreted the conversation, and she thinks she's witty.

I don't hate you. Saying I hate you would be like saying I hate a dog with no legs trying to cross a busy freeway.
-Mr. Filth
Old 02-08-2009, 02:59 PM   #47
Mir

You could have said that exact same thing, in fewer words, without being a dick.

Catch, you misinterpreted the ongoing discussion.
Old 02-08-2009, 03:09 PM   #48
PortraitOfSanity

But:

A. I'm a dick.

and

B. Yours isn't as amusing.

-Mr. Filth
Old 02-08-2009, 03:42 PM   #49
Beneath the Shadows

Something would have to first be amusing in order for something else to be less amusing.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 03:59 PM   #50
Mir

That is why, for all your intelligence, you fail to be a decent human being.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to single you out. Most people on here share this trait with you.