Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 09-15-2007, 02:23 AM   #1
XxZanexX

So, I'm new, obviously . . .

Heyo. *waves* I just stumbled upon this forum when I was looking for an explanation of why the hell goth people tend to wear goggles . . . (If anyone wants to answer that for me go right ahead!)

I personally do not consider myself "goth." I don't dress goth and I don't think I act like other people who would consider themselves "goths." But it seems that 80% of my interests, especially when it comes to music, art, and literature, fall into the "gothic" category so I figured this would be a forum I could post on a bit.

Uh, from that sticky:

1. What do you do? (Hobbies, job) - I WAS a Political Science major for two years at a small-town university but I just moved to Arizona and have yet to get back in school. Right now I slave away for the government sorting elections mail.

Hobbies include writing, playing video games (Though lately only Silent Hill or WoW,) driving around and listening to loud music in the middle of the night . . . lotsa random stuff.

2. Where are you from? - I grew up in a small town in Utah. Just moved to Tucson a few months ago.

3. Who is your favorite author? - Thomas Harris, without a doubt.

4. What are your favorite films? - The Silence of the Lambs, the rest of the Lecter movies to a lesser extent (Books are better, of course,) Pulp Fiction, the Saw movies, Silent Hill . . .

5. What music do you want played at your wedding? - I don't really intend to get married, even if they DO legalize gay marriage. But I guess, uh . . . gosh, I don't know.

6. At your funeral? - Homeward by VNV Nation

7. This IS a gothic website, so... how do you want to die? - Lethal injection. I have every intention of doing SOMETHING worthy of the death penalty before my time is up.

8. What kind of casket would you want? - Cremation, plz.

9. What's your FAVORITE outfit? - Jeans and a hoodie. I don't dress goth. lol

10. What's one thing you miss about being a little kid? - Not having to have a job!

11. What's your favorite band? - VNV Nation

12. What kind of education do you have? What is/was/will be your major? - Two years of college. PoliSci major, Pre-Law emphasis.

13. Why did you join? - Said so earlier. The goggles thing.

14. If the first 13 questions didn't give it away. What is your gender? - Female
XxZanexX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 04:34 AM   #2
Romantic Raven

Welcome! You seem to be fairly intelligent.
"I have cultivated my hysteria with delight and terror. Now I suffer continually from vertigo, and today, 23rd of January, 1862, I have received a singular warning, I have felt the wind of the wing of madness pass over me." - Charles Baudelaire
Romantic Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 04:42 AM   #3
XxZanexX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romantic Raven
Welcome! You seem to be fairly intelligent.
Uh, thanks! Always nice to start out being complimented! lol
Old 09-15-2007, 05:33 AM   #4
††BlackRose††

Welcome to the boards!!! Don't worry I'm sure you will find the answer to your question here.
††BlackRose†† is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 05:41 AM   #5
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
The goggles thing is more of a cybergoth/steampunk thing as far as I know. Somone help me out on this.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 05:44 AM   #6
bleedingheart344

It is, goggles are a common cyber accessory.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:46 AM   #7
d.Nox

Quote:
2. Where are you from? - I grew up in a small town in Utah. Just moved to Tucson a few months ago.
What town, if you don't mind me asking? Anyway, congratulations on your escape.
d.Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 10:24 AM   #8
kimaru

hmm, I don't know...I guess one day someone put on a pair of goggles and it went from there...
kimaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 10:56 AM   #9
ShadowCrow

Welcome to the boards!

I'll agree with what people here say about the goggles. It's more of a cybergoff / steampunkish thing. I see it a lot on the dancefloor when I DJ, on people who seem to have Rammstein, Suicide Commando and such on their favorite band-list.
ShadowCrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 12:18 PM   #10
biohazard

Welcome to the boards. What do you consider gothic music, just wandering?
Old 09-15-2007, 12:44 PM   #11
XxZanexX

Quote:
Originally Posted by biohazard
Welcome to the boards. What do you consider gothic music, just wandering?
I'm always nervous to say something's "goth music" because I know that there's so many things that seem like they might fall in to it but don't, millions of subgenres, etc. So I define goth music as things I've heard playing at the clubs frequented by people who consider themselves gothic or things that people who are gothic seem to like quite a bit more than others.

A lot of what I like I feel is not strictly defined as gothic music but is kind of lumped into the category, though in fact it's things like Industrial, Dark Wave, etc. etc.

Favorite bands include VNV Nation, KMFDM, Apoptygma Berzerk, Rammstein, Nightwish (Before the new vocalist, haven't heard them since,) things of that sort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.Nox
What town, if you don't mind me asking? Anyway, congratulations on your escape.
I actually miss Utah. The scenery, not the people. I'm from the southern bit, down in Cedar City. I lived in Spanish Fork for a while but spent most of my time in Cedar.
Old 09-15-2007, 01:06 PM   #12
Aaroneet

Welcome to Gnet!
Old 09-15-2007, 01:46 PM   #13
missfreakychick

Welcome to G.net later.
missfreakychick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 02:23 PM   #14
d.Nox

Quote:
I actually miss Utah. The scenery, not the people. I'm from the southern bit, down in Cedar City. I lived in Spanish Fork for a while but spent most of my time in Cedar.
The scenery is nicer down there. Half my cousins live down there; I'm in the north, and here the country is as ugly as the people.
d.Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 02:31 PM   #15
NachtSorcier

Good to see you. Welcome to Gnet.

The line between Goth and Darkwave is often blurred because they fit so well together. If you want to know more about Goth music, check out Bauhaus, Sisters of Mercy, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Clan of Xymox, Xmal Deutschland, Christian Death, the Virgin Prunes and Fields of the Nephilim. You can find plenty of videos by these bands on YouTube.

Visit my online store: http://www.websofsilver.com
NachtSorcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 03:17 PM   #16
maggot

Utah is beautiful. I would love to go there again.