Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 08-01-2007, 12:53 PM   #26
biohazard

I am not a fan of christian music. However, there are some Christian metal bands like "As I lay Dying" that I find to be very good. Some christian bands do not exactly give religious messages in their songs, some just express that the members are christian.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:47 PM   #27
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitocris
I cannot listen to Christian music despite being a Christian because I think the majority of it is extremely tacky and fake. It's like they take a normal, good music style and whitewash and cheapen it.
I have much more respect for secular bands who ocassionally speak about their religious faith instead of ram-rodding it down everyone's throat.
How are Christian bands "ram-rodding" anything down everyone's throats? It's not like they're even in the spotlight much, and if you don't like them, you don't have to have anything to do with it.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 03:13 PM   #28
Circle V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chest of Drawers by Woven Hand
The world will bow
The knees will be broken for those who don't know how
I like my Christian music honest. Heh.

Seriously, Woven Hand and 16 Horsepower are the best bands in the universe.

I've heard that some Christian radio stations actually count how many times a song or band uses the word "Jesus" in order to decide whether or not they're Christian enough.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:40 PM   #29
LiUsAiDh

How can you generalise a whole music scene when you can't have heard all the bands inside that movement. Some Christian rock bands are bound to be good.

Pie Jesu domine..... Donna eis requiem - *thwack*

'To become truly immortal, a work of art must escape all human limits: logic and common sense will only interfere. But once these barriers are broken, it will enter the realms of childhood visions and dreams.' - Giorgio de Chirico
LiUsAiDh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 04:03 PM   #30
Velvet_Mansfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiUsAiDh
How can you generalise a whole music scene when you can't have heard all the bands inside that movement. Some Christian rock bands are bound to be good.

Some probably are, but it would be damn near impossible to listen to every band in music scene and what the vast majority of them seem to offer is a "safer alternative" to musical genres I'm not particularly wild about already. It seems like for every genre of music that becomes popular for a while, there is an influx of Christian bands following the trend. It seems like a money-making scheme to me.
I'm sure all Christian bands aren't necessarily like that, but in general, that is something I've noticed.
Velvet_Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 04:52 PM   #31
KontanKarite

The only Christian band worth listening to is Christian Death. :-p

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 05:02 PM   #32
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
Cinema Strange for example. That's a terrible fucking band
!!!
Something inside me just felt like if a puppy was thrown into a river. =[

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 05:17 PM   #33
KontanKarite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
!!!
Something inside me just felt like if a puppy was thrown into a river. =[

My sentiments exactly.

I got my feelin's hurt.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 05:41 PM   #34
Underwater Ophelia

They're fucking horrible. HORRIBLE. I mean, sometimes they're ok, but I have to be in a damn good mood.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:13 PM   #35
Cyntrox

Every time you say Cinema Strange suck, god kills a kitten!
Old 08-01-2007, 06:31 PM   #36
MIRON

All contrived music sucks. Whether it be “christian”, “satanic”, “gothic”, “punk” or whatever. Music has become so genre focused that it’s quite easy to come up with a song and then apply a simple formula to it and change it to fit whatever genre you want. The great bands defy categories and genres.

There are many similarities to a drowning puppy and the yelping Cinema Strange.
MIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 10:33 PM   #37
dreamydancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite
I find lots of lyrics in Cruxshadows songs to be highly spiritual and have Christian undertones in them to an extent. Well, in a way, they talk about the same kinds of virtues without tacking the name Jesus or the word Christian in it.
I think quite a few gothy type bands fit that description. I'll name a few when I can think of them later.

Yeah, Rogue can be quite a touchy fellow. A little too much for me. They're about the corniest band I've ever listened to.

~Clan of Xymox
dreamydancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 01:07 PM   #38
Nitocris

Quote:
How are Christian bands "ram-rodding" anything down everyone's throats? It's not like they're even in the spotlight much, and if you don't like them, you don't have to have anything to do with it.
I don't mean that anyone HAS to listen to it, just that if you do, it is like having something jammed down your throat ten different ways. Not all of it is that way, but enough to make me avoid it unless I have a specific recommendation from someone.
Nitocris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 01:20 PM   #39
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
I don't mean that anyone HAS to listen to it, just that if you do, it is like having something jammed down your throat ten different ways. Not all of it is that way, but enough to make me avoid it unless I have a specific recommendation from someone.
Ok, you might feel that way, but if you're listening to it, you're asking for it.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:22 PM   #40
Nitocris

Quote:
Ok, you might feel that way, but if you're listening to it, you're asking for it.
And that's why I don't!
Old 08-02-2007, 04:09 PM   #41
dreamydancer

I would never think someone could feel so strongly about a crappy genre like Christian music which you don't hear much about in pop culture. I could understand overrated top forty music with all the wussy white boy bands and rappers with an IQ of 0. Or other annoying kinds of music that have a strong cult following like heavy metal.

I've heard some Christian music and seriously those people don't sound like they read the bible. It just sounds like boring inspirational music. Of all the ways to express your religious convictions, music is not a good choice.

~Clan of Xymox
Old 08-02-2007, 04:15 PM   #42
Nitocris

It just annoys me, because I feel, as a Christian, that it makes Christianity look stupid and doesn't represent it accurately, realistically or artistically. I do not appreciate modern Christian-oriented culture in general, I feel it is incredibly shallow and unenlightening.
However, I'm sure there is some other Christian out there who thinks I'm a bad representation too...
Old 08-02-2007, 04:47 PM   #43
psyches_reflection

I'd always been suspicious of religious music until I discovered The Gouranga Powered Band *hides under a rock in advance*

As for specifically Christian music, the only problem I'd have is capatalising on other's faith. If you're not using religion as a tool with which to sell records then do as you will.

... so long as I'm not forced to listen...
Old 08-02-2007, 05:45 PM   #44
dreamydancer

Quote:
It just annoys me, because I feel, as a Christian, that it makes Christianity look stupid and doesn't represent it accurately, realistically or artistically. I do not appreciate modern Christian-oriented culture in general, I feel it is incredibly shallow and unenlightening.
However, I'm sure there is some other Christian out there who thinks I'm a bad representation too...
For you I understand. But my post was in response to Drac who's agnostic so it shouldn't bother him.

~Clan of Xymox
Old 08-02-2007, 06:11 PM   #45
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Well, how would you like it represented?
Old 08-02-2007, 10:30 PM   #46
Nitocris

Quote:
Well, how would you like it represented?
I feel like there are a lot of factors in the current Christian media that lead me to dislike it, but I'll explain some of the most pertinent ones regarding music;

The actual quality of the music is often absolutely terrible. As has been said, it often sounds like someone took a specific popular style/band, ripped it off, performed it on a really bad keyboard, shoved a speaker up their ass, played the song back through the speaker, and re-recorded it.
I understand small budgets are somewhat to blame for this, but much more creative and listenable things have been done on even less. It's like the people don't actually want to create music for the love of music, but just for the sake of making CHRISTIAN music.

The lyrics are frequently banal and amount to as much as; "Jesus died for me, and God is really cool". What I want to hear is WHY the writer believes that, and how it makes them feel. I want to see how they percieve God personally and how their life is really affected by what they believe in. I want to hear the gamut of normal human emotions and not just constant gleefulness. Which leads me to...

Most of all, I wish they'd lay off the saccharine and get honest. Life, quite frequently, sucks. Prayers go unanswered. Christianity has been the root cause of many terrible things in the world. Modern Christianity is plagued with bigotry towards all kinds of groups. I don't hear anyone making any meaningful discourse about these things, but I do hear lots of brooms trying to sweep it all under the rug..

Ultimately, I don't even like the concept of a band being focused solely on religion, but I feel that if they must be that way then they should try not to make Christianity look like a religion full of perpetually-perky, boring, mindless dolts who have nothing to say. This is where misrepresentation comes in.
I am sure someone will come along and say "But it IS a religion full of morons, HURRHURR" and that absolutely proves my point.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:22 PM   #47
Circle V

Let me say it again: listen to 16 Horsepower and Woven Hand or I will kill you with my bare hands.