Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 03-29-2009, 05:13 AM   #1
Marcus Mayer

Naming issues,new mmorpg

To make a long story short:
I am working on a wherewolf vs vampire vs human mmorpg.
The game is set in post apocaliptic Earth. Four factions now rule this wasteland:Wherewolves ,Vampires and two human ,sort of,nationalities.
I am currently only in designing fase and have not yet started programming but have plans to start a test game soon to test the races and their classes.
However I am having a slight issue.
I've been thinking about a name for a long time now and I cannot seem to find a fitting one,wich would also have good search engine properties.
So my question is to post any ideas or suggestions,either for the game itself or the name wich I desperatly need here.
U can also ask questions if you want ofcourse.
Please do keep in mind me and my team are only yet designing so all we have is still only on paper.
Marcus Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 05:20 AM   #2
Sir Canvas Corpsey

This will probably never be more than on paper.

Names are inconsequential and should be the last thing on your mind right now, give it a crappy Work Title and then leave the proper naming 'til later.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:26 AM   #3
Marcus Mayer

You do have a point but I just asked to see some ideas and suggestion.
Im currently not working on the title but making the post now spares me the time of finding a decent suggestion once the test game is finished.
Also I believe names are a significant thing for a game,as it is the thing people use to reffer to it.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:50 AM   #4
Mr E Nigma

Sorry mate, but this game will never work as the general populous will most assuredly elect to become a vampire or a werewolf, If that game existed i highly doubt enough people will want to be powerless humans. Even if they are suped-up super humans or something...
Old 03-29-2009, 09:49 AM   #5
Man In Room 5

I wouldn't name your game after any suggestions here anyway. You're just setting yourself up for a lawsuit later.
Man In Room 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:59 AM   #6
Marcus Mayer

@ Enigma:I do understand where u are comming from altho i believe having nicely balanced classes in the human races will put this right. I have for example a wherewolf hunter in one human race and a vampire hunter in the other.They are not the only classes able of killing the wherewolf or vampire races but have an advantage from the start
I will take this in consideration also in the class test client,to see if i would not just fall back on wherewolf vs vampire.
@ Man in room 5:lawsuit? suggestions have no copyright licenses,nor would i name it exactely like the suggestion.
My main goal with this post was to hear what people would consider a decent name for a game as such.
But it seems thrusting in gnet to deliver on said subject seemed a little to much of the good stuff ,sadly enough

Edit: Do mind the fact that everything in the design is still subject to change..
Anything can happen from here on out,class changes,race deletion or adding,really anything is still subject to the whim of my team ofcrouse
Old 03-29-2009, 11:52 AM   #7
Mr E Nigma

So I guess the werewolf hunter and vampire hunter would have a boost in damage towards their respectable practice. I guess that'd work. I mean I personally would take werewolf or vampire over being a human. Though I could probably see the allure if my brother played a vampire I might turn up at his backdoor looking to hunt him down. haha
Old 03-29-2009, 01:15 PM   #8
Marcus Mayer

Hehe,well I guess ur right,the majority of people on gnet would probably preffer a wherewolf or vampire over a human any day,but I guess thats part of why we are on gnet isnt it *grins*
And yes they have a boost in damage towards the specific race indeed,but also other advantages.
I have plaid many mmorpg back in the day,and the main setback i had
if it was wow,silkroad,cal online,knight online or guildwars
I always felt asiff they were the same game in different clothing.
My intention is to break this with an oblivion like fight system,ur aim counts more then ur skill,it will also be first person,characters wich are more on prefferences then really balanced system,and some other things wich I think are not yet ready to be shared *sneakster smile*
I will make a main post about the game is development proceeds and enlighten u more when i think the time is fit
Old 03-29-2009, 04:57 PM   #9
Mr E Nigma

Quote:
characters wich are more on prefferences then really balanced system
If that's true your game will fail. You will hear neverending gripes about how one nationality sort of speak can utterly destroy the rest no matter what. You need to make them balanced.

And yeah at first glance this game reminded me of Hellgate London, and now that you mention the 1st person style, etc... that's what it seems to be, I'm not saying you're copying them. I'm just trying to get an image in my head what it might look like.

[I've also played nearly every MMORPG in existence, to include free ones online like Dofus, Maplestory, even the goofy ones like Penguin club etc...]

Me and my brother have been gaming fanatics ever since I could hold a Gameboy in my hand.

The gaming industry is also where our future lies :] It's no secret that before my senior year of highschool I basically had no life apart from games, no friends, apart from the ones we played Magic the Gathering with and Dungeons and Dragons. On the outside it might seem sort of sad, but I quite enjoyed my life sucked into the worlds of another's mind. Between games and comic books, I needed nothing else.

I'm sure you feel the same way towards games, just saying, I'd be happy to give any constructive criticism.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:03 PM   #10
Marcus Mayer

yes i see parts of me in how u describe urself
I am planning on making them balanced ofcourse,otherwise,like u say they would be unfair indeed,i just mean that its more of a prefference thing to choose a class then searching the strongest one
Ive been there to playn games 24/7 even on my job and stuff like that.
Must be honest tho,dont believe in friendship but hey thats just me,and a bit offtopic so
I always crave for constructive critisism,making an mmorpg for urself would be quite foolish,in the end it still is to go commercial and get members
As i see ur quite intrestted in it,u might consider beeing a beta tester once i release that,but im getting ahead of myself now
much more work has to be done before i can test,let alone let others test so
Old 03-29-2009, 05:17 PM   #11
Mr E Nigma

Yeah haha. I believe in friendship, I've only really ever had 2 true friends, people that would drive 200 miles to come see me in a hospital, someone who would lend me $500 if I asked for it, no questions asked, not even with the security that I'll repay the debt. And I'd do the same for them... Life long friends, kids who've been there when i slipped into the deep recesses of my own mind and never thought I'd come back out of myself. None of us is psychotic or anything. But even with things compared to other's problems that seem not that bad, for people who haven't experienced them can be their worst nightmares. My problems generally dealt with Night terrors and insomnia, one of my friends shot himself with a .22 caliber bullet, bounced right off the rib cage and came out the side of his chest and we had to drag his dumb ass to the car in get him to the hospital... we laughed about it later and he always muses about how he should never hold a gun 'cause he has no idea wtf he's doing.... And our other friend has just had general family issues from divorce, to cheating parents, to an alcoholic father, generally anything most people could think of, ****, drug dealing, the whole nine really, I've never met anyone more worse off.

Anyways, I got even more off topic than you haha... I do believe in friendship, but only people that really count. It's quite rare to find someone who means that much to you. I'm not sure if it's because we knew each other from such a young age then never saw eachother after elementary school until high school and reconnected, found out what's happened with eachother, went through most of are hardships freshman through junior year. Throughout all that games and comic books were such a relief from life it might seem sad to most people, but those were our paradises and we've all vowed to do something with our lives within the confinements of our passion. My brother now works fairly high up for XBOX. One friend works for Nvidia, genius of a programmer.. and me and the other are nearly done with school and we can set out on the same sort of path. So for me those 2 friends, though not a lot. Were the only real thing that kept me going in this ugly ugly world.

(Sorry for the extensive off topic-ness, haha)
Old 03-29-2009, 06:48 PM   #12
Marcus Mayer

Well first off,no problem on the off topic-ness
And i like your story,i wouldnt mind having such friends,but in a country like mine those are seriously impossible to find.
When i go out in my own city and ur with me u will wonder on how many people know me. I can honestly say i know around 200/300 people in this town,cant go out without seeing one of them. Nonetheless i would never befriend any of them,maybe its me,maybe its them ,i wouldnt be able to tell u.
I do believe that somewhere out there they may be someone i could befriend but as it stands right now i dont believe i will ever find said person
I honestly dont care tho,i like beeing alone,no one to compensate for,just my own little sick mind to follow *grins*
And as for mmorpg people i know and meet,well i think i bond with them easier because i see them less as human and more like the character they represent.
Some call my a romantic soul because i would love to live in a fantasy or medieval word,well i say they couldnt be further from the truth
I just adore bashing in someones skull or lighting them on fire with a spell,just preffer doing it in a game then in the real world,no consequences u kno *grins even broader*
Also i do have issues with humanity,altho i think im to new here to discuss this openly
By the way,if u or ur friends have any skills towards game development,beeing it making textures or models,or anything like that,u can always join my homepage and forum,as most will be discussed there
Any help would also be greatly appreciated,or if its even just to keep in the loop of the game news and/or add some constructive critisism ,ur always welcome
the links in my profile
gotta go sleep now tho,its 4 am here xD
I bid u a well day sir,and we will talk more when i awake from the divine dreamworld of the pleasant sleep *lols*
Dark Regards,
Marcus Mayer