Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 06-16-2006, 06:48 PM   #1
Catch

How to get published?

You know, writing and giving a poem to your lover is great. However, writing a poem that is published copyrighted and in a book you give to your lover is even better.

It is about time that some of you authors started seeing the bigger picture. Publishing not only validates your work, it builds momentum for a later career, getting paid, and doing something you really love.

It isn’t an easy path. I have over 20 published poems in different collections, however, still dirt poor. Also wrote several short stories, not making any headway. However, like drops of water soon the glass is full.

There are some publications you may be interested in as artists. It really isn’t so much the writing (though spelling and grammar are still important) it is finding the people who want to publish what it is that you do.

Publishers are looking for everything. A book called, “Writer’s Market,” is available at the library, lists publishers and what their guidelines. Gothic, sci-fi, horror, subculture, gay and so-on are all desired topics.

Magazines are also good:

http://eros.com/ is looking for gothic themes and sexuality.

http://underworldtales.com/ is looking for real ghost stories.

Then there is the matter of just searching the Internet. Really, if you can write it someone is looking for it. However, notability and if the story stirs interest, determines how much you are paid.

Of course, there are workshops for writers everywhere. Writing groups, television shows and radio shows can offer hints on getting published.

Writing is a craft that takes time to develop.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:16 AM   #2
Nosce

As a side note to Catch's excellent post, you can aways publish your work yourself at Lulu.com. Here you can sell your books online, or for a small fee get an ISBN so that your book can be sold in your local bookstore. Or, for a (substantially) larger fee, Lulu will distrubute your work to some of the largest book wholesalers in the world, which can then be bought and sold by bookstores worldwide. What's even better is, your works remains your own property, and you keep 80% of your profits.

This is relevant to the topic, so this ain't shilling. I'm just sharing with you guys something cool I found.
Nosce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 01:08 PM   #3
angel011

There already is "How to Get Published" thread, why starting another one?
Old 06-18-2006, 01:46 PM   #4
Catch

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel011
There already is "How to Get Published" thread, why starting another one?
I felt it was important. A lot of people are posting their work on here, but there isn't any protection on copyright. It is a public forum, so it is open. More people on here need to try getting published first, even if on poetry.com or some other free publisher, then post. You see, they are then protected by copyrights.

As for Nosce's advice, that is fine. However, you should really be looking at making a story or poem good enough to be picked up in a collection or magazine. Even books should be good enough for publications. Sure it is a way of getting around that, but paying for publication, isn't that notable.

I would like it if the gnet writers got more props. You know, a lot of you are really talented and it isn’t that difficult to take one step to make a hobby even more impressive. (Not suggesting a pathway to fame and fortune, just getting that little extra reward.)
Old 06-21-2006, 02:19 AM   #5
angel011

There seems to be a misunderstanding here. I'm not arguing about the importance of your post, I'm only asking why you didn't use the already existing "How to Get Published" thread for it.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:19 PM   #6
Catch

This was easier. How long would it take before the conversation swings back around to what I want to talk about?
Old 09-06-2022, 08:05 AM   #7
drjuice

This is irrelevant to the topic, I'm just sharing with you guys something cool I found.

https://888companions.com/how-to-eas...a-woman-orgasm
drjuice is offline   Reply With Quote