Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 11-09-2008, 01:37 PM   #51
Godslayer Jillian

Wait. The fact that we're better than most internet forums without the need of dozens of moderators is a 'good point' on how anarchy doesn't work?

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 01:41 PM   #52
x-deviant-x

No. The fact that even when you agree, you still want to rip each other apart over why you agree. If this were an arena, there would be no teams, just a blood bath.

x-deviant-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 02:40 PM   #53
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-deviant-x
No. The fact that even when you agree, you still want to rip each other apart over why you agree. If this were an arena, there would be no teams, just a blood bath.

That's not true at all.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 03:04 PM   #54
Necrophagist

Justify that statement.
Necrophagist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 03:12 PM   #55
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necrophagist
Justify that statement.
Sorry, but I'm not into explaining myself to morons.
Considering no one else asked me what I meant, looks like you're the only one in the dark.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:16 PM   #56
JCC

Necrophagist: political debates do not seem your forté. How about, "Who was the best character in Thomas The Tank Engine?"
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 03:19 PM   #57
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
Necrophagist: political debates do not seem your forté. How about, "Who was the best character in Thomas The Tank Engine?"
Aw, sweetpea, you know you'd be on my team in the bloody arena.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:25 PM   #58
PortraitOfSanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
I choked on my gum reading that I was laughing so hard. I hope you feel good about yourself.
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 03:29 PM   #59
x-deviant-x

lol

its not true all the time, but when it does happen, it's pretty brutal.

kind'a like a train wreck. can't help but watch.

x-deviant-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 04:11 PM   #60
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by $haDe
Want my belief about gay marriage, Auriel ?

Marriage is as pointless as love can be in oneself's perspective.

If you find love meaningful, then marriage is meaning. no matter he or she is straight or homosexual.

Else, go other way,then.
I understand what you are saying $haDe and agree with it, but for one thing:
There is a need for formal recognition of gay relationships that are committed and monogamous, otherwise a lifelong partner cannot visit their dying love in the hospital, or collect their Social Security. A heterosexual couple enjoy both of those, but gays who are just as much in love and committed cannot. That is discrimination.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 05:35 PM   #61
~~Auriel~~

Quote:
*Snip*
I was kind of surprised that no one in the class (of about 50) was brave enough to disagree.
I've only gotten through 1/4 of Joseph Campbell's Primitve Mythology. Between school and running an online clothing store and my son I don't have much extra time to read! I wish someone would have. I forget where but I mentioned in a separate post that there were many religions that had their own versions of the crucifixtion including the Norse God Odin-- also dead because of being pierced by a spear.

Quote:
Interesting. Does the concept of soul mates play a role anywhere in your beliefs on reincarnation?

I believe in soul mates. While I've never taken the time to really study it from anyone else's perspective, I believe we are conscious energy. I also believe we don't carry gender through reincarnation, specifically, but that our 'souls' (for lack of a better term), are genderless, with aspects of both genders struggling for dominance over time. I hope that doesn't sound like a contradiction. Its the best way I can explain it at the moment. I'm also a Libra, and I believe fully that this is why I'm so obsessed with balance.
I do and I am fortunate enough to have found mine. I don't believe souls have a sex either. We can be re-incarnated a number of times, (here's where Christianity fits into that) until the "End Time" spoken of in Revelations. Bascially we are given a certain amount of time to "get it right" and then we face Heaven or Hell.
Soulmates can vary. You can have soulmates of the body and of the spirit, and then of both. I tend to look at soulmates in a broader spectrum (let's watch everyone tear this apart too!). I think it is more of a level of connection than anything else. You experience this connection with a person based on need. So for example there could be temporary ones based on a lesson that you need to learn in life, and you experience this connection with that person in order for the two of you to learn. Then there are permanent ones where that connection never dies, but changes and molds with time and each individual.
BTW-I'm a Libra-Virgo cusp. I am also obsessive about balance...and very analytical and critical.

Quote:
You have to have a pretty thick skin to last in this forum. Pretty much everyone around here seems to enjoy ripping everyone else apart. Even when they agree on the same issue, they still get their jollies on arguing with each other on why they agree. Since there's virtually no moderators left, its a free-for-all, more or less.
That's why I post at goth.net too. Many of these people would've been kicked by now. I also post in a Christian and Native American forum when possible. I don't mind criticism but someone "getting their jollies" about something is stupid. There's enough conflict in the world...why create more? Besides, it seems like you and I have more of a life than that!
~~Auriel~~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 05:35 PM   #62
$haDe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanePain
There is a need for formal recognition of gay relationships that are committed and monogamous, otherwise a lifelong partner cannot visit their dying love in the hospital, or collect their Social Security. A heterosexual couple enjoy both of those, but gays who are just as much in love and committed cannot. That is discrimination.

Ah! right.. That start to make sense to me of why did they acting upagainst homosexuality.

Still, I can't get over the thing that love broke me apart. If any of my further statement reannounce this, please slap me right in the face.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:40 PM   #63
~~Auriel~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanePain
And I agree with that. Like I said to Deviant, I don't think it's right to spend your life with someone and then have everything you built together taken away because in the eyes of the law they were "roomates." As previously mentioned, I believe that the Feds need to find a way to preserve the sanctity of marriage as it exists but provide homosexuals with a similar alternative. I.e. the benefits would be the same...or damn close to it, but other hetero married couples like myself and my husband would still have our religious beliefs respected. It's a tough one to try to sort out, but it can be done.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:48 PM   #64
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~~Auriel~~
All the stupid shit you posted in this thread.
End of the day, you're a judgmental bigot who wants to force others to legally live by your rules and you claim nobody can judge you for your values. Go fuck yourself you self righteous hypocrite.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 05:50 PM   #65
~~Auriel~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_in_the_Pack
End of the day, you're a judgmental bigot who wants to force others to legally live by your rules and you claim nobody can judge you for your values. Go fuck yourself you self righteous hypocrite.
Honestly, why do you care so much what I believe?
Old 11-09-2008, 05:51 PM   #66
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Honestly, why do you care so much what I believe?
Because you're going to vote one day, and in spite of how little I care about you, your ill-formed opinions WILL affect me in the future in some way or another.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

Old 11-09-2008, 05:54 PM   #67
~~Auriel~~

Quote:
Because you're going to vote one day, and in spite of how little I care about you, your ill-formed opinions WILL affect me in the future in some way or another.
Ahh, I see so you are homosexual and pissed off that I think the sanctity of opposite sex marriages should be preserved.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:56 PM   #68
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Ahh, I see so you are homosexual and pissed off that I think the sanctity of opposite sex marriages should be preserved.
I'm not homosexual. I don't make distinctions between gender or sex in anyway when I think of love. I'm pissed off because you stand a threat to not only me but many of my friends with your bigoted views. By the way, the divorce rate in the USA is something like 50%, most of the divorces are fueled by either abuse or infidelity. So tell me, what sanctity are you trying to protect?

Old 11-09-2008, 05:59 PM   #69
~~Auriel~~

Quote:
I'm not homosexual. I don't make distinctions between gender or sex in anyway when I think of love. I'm pissed off because you stand a threat to not only me but many of my friends with your bigoted views. By the way, the divorce rate in the USA is something like 50%, most of the divorces are fueled by either abuse or infidelity. So tell me, what sanctity are you trying to protect?
I said PRESERVE not protect.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:03 PM   #70
Joker_in_the_Pack

pre⋅serve
   /prɪˈzɜrv/ Pronunciation
verb, -served, -serv⋅ing, noun
–verb (used with object)
1. to keep alive or in existence; make lasting: to preserve our liberties as free citizens.
2. to keep safe from harm or injury; protect or spare.

Random House Dictionary

Please, stop talking.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:07 PM   #71
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
I said PRESERVE not protect.
So you want to preserve drunken weddings between people who barely know each other, spousal abuse, and people fucking people other than their wives or husbands?
Old 11-09-2008, 06:07 PM   #72
~~Auriel~~

Quote:
pre⋅serve
   /prɪˈzɜrv/ Pronunciation
verb, -served, -serv⋅ing, noun
–verb (used with object)
1. to keep alive or in existence; make lasting: to preserve our liberties as free citizens.
2. to keep safe from harm or injury; protect or spare.

Random House Dictionary

Please, stop talking.
pro⋅tect   /prəˈtɛkt/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [pruh-tekt] Show IPA Pronunciation

–verb (used with object) 1. to defend or guard from attack, invasion, loss, annoyance, insult, etc.; cover or shield from injury or danger. 2. Economics. to guard (the industry or an industry of a nation) from foreign competition by imposing import duties.
3. to provide funds for the payment of (a draft, note, etc.).
–verb (used without object) 4. to provide, or be capable of providing, protection: a floor wax that protects as well as shines.

Just because they mean something similar doesn't mean they are the EXACT same thing.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:02 PM   #73
Godslayer Jillian

Your word of "preserving" is worse than "protecting"

If you said protecting, then it would mean you take steps into trying to have that precious "sanctity of marriage" alive and beautiful so that it won't degrade into the shit that it is today.

But you said "preserve". Meaning, you do think that marriage is all roses and giggles and it's so wonderful that half of them don't last and the other half get frigid and even violent.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 07:48 PM   #74
$haDe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
Your word of "preserving" is worse than "protecting".
That's true.
Level of word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
If you said protecting, then it would mean you take steps into trying to have that precious "sanctity of marriage" alive and beautiful so that it won't degrade into the shit that it is today.

But you said "preserve". Meaning, you do think that marriage is all roses and giggles and it's so wonderful that half of them don't last and the other half get frigid and even violent.

That'll explain.

+_+, Couldn't say more.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:09 PM   #75
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by $haDe
If any of my further statement reannounce this, please slap me right in the face.
Never my friend, never. A hug maybe but no slap.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote