Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 02-14-2010, 05:52 AM   #1
Ben Lahnger

Woman's BlackBerry stops stray bullet

Woman's BlackBerry stops stray bullet
Gun owner Holtvogt has a permit to carry a concealed weapon

SOURCE

Updated: Friday, 12 Feb 2010, 1:13 AM EST

A Dayton woman escaped injury when a stray bullet hit her BlackBerry and not her.

"The BlackBerry was in the right place at the right time and the bullet hit her in the right spot," explained Butler Twp. Police Capt. Carl Bush.

Bush said Anthony Holtvogt was with his girlfriend at Fricker's restaurant on Miller Lane Feb. 6, 2010 when he accidentally shot her.

Bush said Holtvogt, who has a concealed carry permit, was putting on his jacket when the gun discharged.

"While he was adjusting his jacket, he noticed that the slide was back on the gun and then it fired," Bush said. "The bullet did not penetrate the cell phone. [It] bent the cell phone a little bit and made the cell phone unusable."

Thanks to the bulletproof BlackBerry, the woman walked away with just a hole in her pants and a bruise on her leg.

No one else in the restaurant was injured.

Holtvogt will be charged with possession of a firearm in a liquor permit premise.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:55 AM   #2
FlowerGirl

At least Blackberry's are good for something. What they didn't mention was what her other pocket contained - an iPhone, her real phone.
FlowerGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:58 AM   #3
Random Havoc

Lucky woman, the guy's a moron.. What kind of an idiot do you have to be to keep your weapon in a place where the slide can be moved by stray fabric....
Random Havoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:17 AM   #4
Ben Lahnger

Well, I made the point in another thread here that the more guns are made easily available, the more idiots would have guns. He's just another case study.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerGirl View Post
At least Blackberry's are good for something. What they didn't mention was what her other pocket contained - an iPhone, her real phone.
Nothing in the article said that.

Somebody forgot to tell you that there are more Blackberry's in use on the planet than any other smartphone. Blackberry provides better security for corporate usage. Most Blackberry devices have a wonderful mechanical keypad to make typing easy. I'm not a big Blackberry fan (with over 10 years in the industry and 3 years of tech support experience, I can list many things wrong with them), but it has some definite advantages over the popular-with-the-low-tech-masses iPhone.

Don't hijack this thread with your iPhone besotted drivel.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Old 02-14-2010, 01:24 PM   #5
FlowerGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger View Post

Don't hijack this thread with your iPhone besotted drivel.
Nahh. I hate the iPhone. You can't multitask - it is a pain in the arse to continuously go to the home screen to open an application. What if you wanted to cut and paste extracts from a newspaper article? Bit difficult if you have to go home and open up notes. On top of that, typing is a PAINFUL process. There’s a touch screen keyboard…which already takes up “too much space” on the iPhone. So what was Apple’s solution? to encourage you to buy a keyboard if you don’t like the onscreen keyboard......

Anyway.. didn't mean to 'hijack' your thread again.
But you're right. It's so obvious that the BlackBerry beats the shit out of iPhone.
Plus, as an individul who is interested in luxuries as "options" and "individuality" no fewer than nine vastly different BlackBerry models is a pretty good selection I would say.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:25 PM   #6
FlowerGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger View Post

Nothing in the article said that.
It was on youtube...lol
Old 02-14-2010, 01:52 PM   #7
Ben Lahnger

Funny. Or maybe not so. Wonder if the iPhone would have stopped the bullet?

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 02-14-2010, 02:07 PM   #8
FlowerGirl

Nope.
http://blog.newsok.com/thebusiness/2...stop-a-bullet/
Old 02-14-2010, 03:01 PM   #9
Ben Lahnger

Bwah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah!

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 02-14-2010, 04:44 PM   #10
Methadrine

Quote:
Nahh. I hate the iPhone. You can't multitask - it is a pain in the arse to continuously go to the home screen to open an application. What if you wanted to cut and paste extracts from a newspaper article? Bit difficult if you have to go home and open up notes.
I haven't seen any of the other phones do multitasking right either, or copy and paste for that matter.

"Meow. Mew. Mrow. Maow? Miaox." - Lovely Delkaetre speaks cat.
Methadrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:35 AM   #11
FlowerGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methadrine View Post
I haven't seen any of the other phones do multitasking right either, or copy and paste for that matter.
That's why I doubt the iPad would be any good...it's just like the iPhone.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:49 AM   #12
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methadrine View Post
Sorry, what? I'm looking into my next phone possible being an Android phone, but I've used Symbian and Windows mobile devices and they've both handled multitasking fine (although I am talking WinMo 6.0, not 5.0 - that was a lethargic dog) and a lot of this has as much to do with processor power and available memory resources as anything else. So two different devices running WinMo 6.0 can behave very differently depending on whether there's a 624 MHz processor or a 200 MHz processor at work. Plus, it can vary depending on outside resources if you're connected to the internet or a network.

I've had no trouble whatsoever in playing my MP3's while jotting a note or composing an email on my Samsung Omnia i900. It multitasks quite well, thank you.

I'm with you on the copy and paste, but I've been able to add a 3rd party GUI and some OS plug-ins that have remedied that ... things you cannot dream of doing with an iPhone. Apple gets mad if you try to "jailbreak" their device and takes steps to render it inoperable if you update it!

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 02-15-2010, 11:55 AM   #13
Amunet

can I just say that I've had the G1 google phone (Android) for about a yr now and it's amazing and I love android software over any other phone type Ive ever used. I really think you'd like it Ben.... just my 2 cents
Amunet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:56 AM   #14
FlowerGirl

Ben, you seem to be familiar with technology. what do you think about the iPad?
Old 02-15-2010, 11:57 AM   #15
FlowerGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amunet View Post
can I just say that I've had the G1 google phone (Android) for about a yr now and it's amazing and I love android software over any other phone type Ive ever used. I really think you'd like it Ben.... just my 2 cents
I use it too. It has amazing connection speed.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:54 PM   #16
Ben Lahnger

What do I think of the iPad?

There is a niche for an iPad type device. There are other possible contenders circling at this time ... Microsoft, Google and others have projects on the way ... and for a while there was even speculation on a Macbook Air Touch model that would present as a rectangular slate-like device!

The iPad is basically an oversized iPod touch or iPhone. But the added screen real estate does make a difference. Wish they wouldn't have lost the camera. I'm interested in trying one out. This type of intermediary device would make a good compromise for traveling as opposed to lugging my laptop around or being limited by my PDA.

The reason I don't like the iPhone is because there are many better options available. That's not true for the iPad ... yet.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 02-15-2010, 03:40 PM   #17
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
I've never been very fond of Apple products, they cost too much, and are overhyped. If I ever get the money I want to go with google products, google has already done countless things for me, without costing me a single penny, they have a great reputation, and google has plans to do even more for me(like plans to increase North American internet connection speeds 100x), without costing me more money. All Apple seems to want to help me do is figure out how to spend more money on them.

And now a very appropriate video clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZGIn9bpALo

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:51 PM   #18
Ben Lahnger

That's pretty funny! To be fair, though, the iPad is the first device Apple has brought to market with what seems to be a reasonable pricetag for the technology the product represents.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 02-25-2010, 02:55 PM   #19
Deadmanwalking_05

Quote:

Pretty good shooting.

Three almost dead center of the screen.

9x29mmR : The Choice Of Millions for the last 100-107 years.
Deadmanwalking_05 is offline   Reply With Quote