Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 06-22-2006, 03:29 PM   #26
spookypurple

Smile

I'm hip to what you're saying...

Hamlet
spookypurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 04:03 PM   #27
TheCastrator

Groovy.

But yeah, this whole thread seems to rely on the idea that people have to follow some arbitrary collection of ideas and standards and that you can't just do what you want.

I'm currently listening to NWA. That doesn't make me any less *anything*, nor does it make me any more *anything*.

If I were to listen to Bela Lugosi's Dead and prance about shouting "Oh woe! Woe is me! Life crushes my gentle spirit, I feel the pain within my very being!" it wouldn't change anything.
Well, you'd be obligated to call me a bit of a prat.

Can't we all just do what we want and all be friends?
</Hippie>

Edit: How appropriate, my status has now changed to Perkygoth.
TheCastrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 10:42 PM   #28
Falken

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCastrator
It'd probably be easier if they disregarded any attempts to play up to some stereotype and just did whatever they wanted to do and let others label them.

Or something.
Agreed... during high school I had a revelation of wisdom which was I suppose unusual for a 15 year old in '81, but my dad dying the past year had done a lot to mature me being the only child and male.

Anyways, I determined the style of clothing I wanted without succumbing to any pressure from a peer group. I was friends with mostly other people in my high school band, especially with a new waver female whom I rode home on the bus with. I decided in high school never to dress in a certain way for people to accept me or choose my friends according to someone else's approval.

So what was the point of saying all this? I agree that no one has the right to "pigeonhole" a person as Castrator said. Live your own life and if someone who feels better living life by stereotyping people categorizes you as a "goth" or "hippie", just laugh at that person's inability to understand there is a difference between "appearances" and "the inner person".

Oh and as someone mentioned... yes, I enjoy being a paradox of "hippie" and "goth", taking the best of both cultures and merging it to sort of give me a "blueprint" of who I want to be in life.

I also enjoy being a paradox in that it's not easy to figure me out sometimes... I enjoy confusing people's preset notions of how I will act.
Falken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 11:12 PM   #29
PersephoneX

that could be a funny image!
stinky dandrophilliac tree-huggers!!!
I cut myself to sleep
I close my eyes for a second
And curse my fragile soul
I scream to hide that I'm lonely
The echo calls my name

*ANIMAL CRACKERS*

http://www.myspace.com/persephone_x
PersephoneX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 02:04 AM   #30
happy_dude

Location: I'm underneath the sink, now what do you think, living under my sink?
PersephoneX you may want to introduce yourself (in the introduction section), or you may face a severe flaming.
Old 06-23-2006, 08:33 PM   #31
Falken

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_dude
PersephoneX you may want to introduce yourself (in the introduction section), or you may face a severe flaming.
I think it's "tar and feather" day today... I could be wrong though...
Falken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 06:06 AM   #32
black_and_blue

Heheh. The chick from The Babylonian Tiles.
black_and_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 09:00 AM   #33
CreepyTendencies

It really depends on what your definition of "hippie" and "goth" are.

I personally have been called a "hippie goth" by some people. Just because my wardrobe is mostly black, I read gothic and horror books, and listen to gothic and industrial music I am labeled as "gothic." However, the fact that I'm an avid environmentalist, studying ecology and evolution in school, a member of various non-profit "tree-hugger" type associations, and a vegan, people also like to call me a "hippie." Do I think those traits necessarily force me into either category? No. If that's how others choose to view me, then so be it. To each their own. I think it's a rather narrow-minded way of going about life, but that's just my opinion.
CreepyTendencies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 11:17 AM   #34
Don't Look Behind You

Location: a russian, vienna-educated, living in the Netherlands. beat that.
What I hate most are lables.

People that immediately have to catagorize others in order to better understand them are terribly superficial. Especialy if they themselves don't even exactly know what each label really means.

No one person in a "category" completely fits there, so overlapings like "hippygoth" or whatever are only to be expected. Infact, to be a complex and interesting personallity, one can't fullfill only the criteria of ONE "style".

so pleeeeeaaase, lets stop with the labels.
Don't Look Behind You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 03:22 PM   #35
HerGhostInTheFog

i think a goth person can have hippie qualities... i dont think it really matters. there can be a hippie punk... people can be whatever they want... if someone is gothic one day, the next day they can be a prep.... a person can can like gothi, punk, hippie, country music... labels are a confusing thing and they really do not mean shit.. but yes, someone can be a hippie and a goth.... in my mind
HerGhostInTheFog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 02:09 AM   #36
sparklekittie

I listen to Johnny Cash (the Man in Black, you know! Oh so Goth!)

I hate labels too.
But I actually fit in and I have friends and I generally get on really well with everyone in my year at school, and even the younger ones get on well with me. So yeah, it's what's inside that counts blah blah, you know the story.
sparklekittie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 11:50 PM   #37
insertwittyname

It is possible. Example. Outside_Existance is the most pacifist thing ever. He's a hippy. O.o But his mentality is what I'd call gothic or at least logical. He reminds me of those logical dark people in old movies who knew everything and was the good guy and was good at fighting but would only fight and die heroicly for the girl he loves.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:11 PM   #38
the_ink_bleeds_faster

I've always thought that tie-dye is pretty cool. And I don't always where black. I wear a lot of red, so to speak. But anyway. I'm sure that somehwere in this world there are "Hippiegoths" (Is that one word or two? I'm not sure)