Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:18 PM   #1
ugh...

Exclamation Giant Rodent

I saw this at work this morning on my coworker's computer. When I got home I looked it up for myself. THIS THING WAS AS BIG AS MY HORSE!!!

LONDON — Imagine a rodent that weighed a ton and was as big as a bull. Uruguayan scientists say they have uncovered fossil evidence of the biggest species of rodent ever found, one that scurried across wooded areas of South America about four million years ago, when the continent was not connected to North America.

A herbivore, the beast may have been a contemporary, and possibly prey, of saber-toothed cats — a prehistoric version of Tom and Jerry.

Its huge skull, more than 20 inches long, suggested a beast more than eight feet long and weighing between 1,700 and 3,000 pounds.

Although British newspapers variously described it as a mouse or a rat, researchers say the animal, named Josephoartigasia monesi, actually was more closely related to a guinea pig or porcupine. “These are totally different from the rats and mice we’re accustomed to,” said Bruce Patterson, the curator of mammals at the Field Museum in Chicago, adding that it was the biggest rodent that he had ever heard of.

An artist’s rendering showed a creature that looked like a cross between a hippopotamus and a guinea pig.

The fossil was found in 1987 about 65 miles west of the capital, Montevideo, near the vast River Plate estuary — a muddy waterway separating Uruguay from Argentina that empties into the South Atlantic. That area is the site of ancient riverbanks and other deposits where fossils have been found, Mr. Patterson said.

An Argentine fossil collector identified as Sergio Viera donated the skull to Uruguay’s National History and Anthropology Museum nearly two decades ago, said the museum’s director, Arturo Toscano.

It spent years hidden away in a box at the museum and was rediscovered by a curator, Andrés Rinderknecht, who enlisted the help of a fellow researcher, Ernesto Blanco, to study it.

Mr. Blanco said he was shocked when he first came face to face with the fossil, saying it looked even bigger than a cow skull. “It’s a beautiful piece of nature,” he said in an interview. “You feel the power of a very big animal behind this.”

The research by Mr. Rinderknecht and Mr. Blanco was published Wednesday in this week’s issue of a biological research journal, Proceedings of the Royal Society B.

Mr. Blanco said the skull’s shape and the huge incisors left no doubt that they were dealing with a rodent, but he cautioned that the estimate of the animal’s bulk was imprecise.

The extinct rodent clearly outclassed its nearest rival, the Phoberomys, found in Venezuela and estimated to weigh between 880 and 1,500 pounds.

Mr. Blanco said the rodent was far bigger than any South American rodent alive today, surpassing the present-day capybara, which can weigh up to 110 pounds.

He said the animal’s teeth pointed to a diet of aquatic plants.

“From what we can tell, we know it was a herbivore that lived on the shores of rivers or alongside streams in woodland areas,” Mr. Rinderknecht said. “Possibly it had a behavior similar to other water-faring rodents that exist today, such as beavers, which split their time between land and water.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/17/sc...U14rx833Tod4JQ
ugh... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 04:52 PM   #2
Crying_Crimson_Tears

HOLY JEEZ!!!!!

That's a huge rat.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 06:59 PM   #3
Lapin

They don't make nearly enough rat poison for that thing. I mean, stars above, you could put it in the pen with the horses and give kiddie rides.
Lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 07:17 PM   #4
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Ah, so that is how the catapult was invented! By cro-magnon man building giant mousetraps for the beast! You see, first we build this giant badger...

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 03:26 AM   #5
CptSternn

I think I saw one of those while eating at Denny's once...
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 08:46 AM   #6
Don't Look Behind You

Location: a russian, vienna-educated, living in the Netherlands. beat that.
Nah Sternn, I doubt you have pre-historical rats chilling at Denny's, but it might have been one of these :
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/e...s-20071218608/

also a big rat................-.-
--If you want to love me you'll have to love my shadow. This black creature that is stuck to my feet and that hates the light whithout which it wouldn't exist. Sometimes, I think it is more me than I am. Please be gentle as you make my shadow white.

-- On soft pillows you won't ride into eternity and spilling your blood you won't get out of eternity again.
Don't Look Behind You is offline   Reply With Quote