Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 01-17-2007, 04:30 PM   #26
Clockwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyxnicole
Well the dream book would give you a base to go off of. If you were dreaming in generalization. Haha.

True though.
Who needs books when you have the Internet? I use that site often, though of course I don't believe anything it says one-hundred percent. It paints a good picture though.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:37 PM   #27
son_of_putrefaction

I've had night terrors, I was falling asleep and suddenly I couldn't move.but just a little, I tried to scream but just coudn't. I felt completely paralyzed, then I saw someone in my room, I thought it was my mother, and I tried to talk to her but I couldn't. When I woke up I went and asked my mother If she had entered my room, and she said no. O_O.

My scariest nightmares are about Aliens invading the earth =(.
son_of_putrefaction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 06:01 PM   #28
LaBelleDameSansMerci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circle V
It wasn't even a proper scream, nor was I entirely asleep. I dream-thought that I tripped or something entirely inoffensive like that...
I know exactly what you're talking about. I keep getting this feeling that I fall about 400 feet in a quarter of a second. Haven't had it in a while, and I kinda miss it... Odd...

I used to get really bad nightmares when I was a kid. I had this dream once that someone I knew had been burnt, and his head was like a burnt wood sculpture, like, you know how wood peals in rectangles or squares? His face was all like that. I just remembered that when I was in sculpture class and some clay texture reminded me of that...
Another one I had, right around when a space shuttle blew up (when I was about 3), was of heads exploding over and over and over. My parents had to come in my room, and I was quite inconsolable.
I also had a dream that I tried to kill my Dad with a pickaxe cuz I didn't want him to die a slow, painful death. I woke up and cried my eyes out.
I had a dream that my guinea pig, who had died some months earlier, had not actually died, she had just escaped into a series of pipes that came out of the floor of my room (though they don't exist in reality). I was trying to catch her cuz I was happy to see her, but she had gotten REALLY REALLY fast, which was completely incongruous, and I couldn't. I woke up and cried at that one as well.

The other thing that happens to me (someone please tell me if it happens to them or if they know it's normal) is that I sometimes hear stunningly real voices for a minute before I sleep. One of the most dramatic examples was when I could have sworn someone came up behind me, laid their hands gently on my shoulders and whispered something in a dark, velvety, low, growly whisper. That kind of thing is partly why I have trouble falling asleep, cuz it either scares me, or makes me realize I'm falling asleep, so I wake up again.
Like a tea-tray in the sky.

LaBelleDameSansMerci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 06:07 PM   #29
LaBelleDameSansMerci

Oh yeah, and I had a dream once that I tried to shoot myself, but it didn't work, and, still in my dream, I woke up and had a neat exit wound on the back of my head, and I felt rather thick and slightly headachy. When I actually did wake up for real, it took me a couple minutes to realize that I hadn't shot myself and didn't have a hole in the back of my head.
The next day, one of my teachers asked us, as a writing exercise, to write our own eulogies. I didn't cuz I was too weirded out.
Like a tea-tray in the sky.

LaBelleDameSansMerci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 06:52 PM   #30
korinna5555

two of the worst nightmares i have ever had:
--seeing my best friend after she killed herself
--watching all the people i love die
Old 01-17-2007, 08:41 PM   #31
Paigeybobert

I always have dreams of freaking Madonna!
I have no clue why, i'm not a fan of hers.
Paigeybobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 09:19 PM   #32
PersephoneX

I wake up in a ball on the end of my bed, almost every night. It used to freak my boyfriends out...
I started getting scared of the dark when i was 14 and it got worse and worse.
My worst nightmare was about going back to being beaten by the person i cared about. I'm not sure why that stuck. But it did...
I cut myself to sleep
I close my eyes for a second
And curse my fragile soul
I scream to hide that I'm lonely
The echo calls my name

*ANIMAL CRACKERS*

http://www.myspace.com/persephone_x
PersephoneX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 04:09 PM   #33
Miss_Hazie_Lane

Jeffree Star reccuring sex dream, I always wake up feeling like I just had the best nightmare ever
Old 01-19-2007, 06:52 AM   #34
Morrigan_Dubh

I haven't had any reocurring dreams, but I did dream last night that I was diagnosed with a cancer. I screamed so dramatically in the dream, then woke-up.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:11 AM   #35
Cyntrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by son_of_putrefaction
I've had night terrors, I was falling asleep and suddenly I couldn't move.but just a little, I tried to scream but just coudn't. I felt completely paralyzed, then I saw someone in my room, I thought it was my mother, and I tried to talk to her but I couldn't. When I woke up I went and asked my mother If she had entered my room, and she said no. O_O.

My scariest nightmares are about Aliens invading the earth =(.
I had a similar dream once, I couldn't speak at all, I could only obey. I had lost my identity. That sucked.

I've also had falling dreams, right before I wake up, I don't remember the fall, I just remember the feeling of me "hitting the ground," but no pain.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:06 AM   #36
ashleyxnicole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork
Who needs books when you have the Internet? I use that site often, though of course I don't believe anything it says one-hundred percent. It paints a good picture though.

What site do you use?
ashleyxnicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 03:53 PM   #37
BlackDahlia

I had a particularly hideous one a few nights back--it was VERY vivid.

For some reason I was locked in a sort of dimly-lit, dungeon-like place covered in a film of blood and all manner of filth. There was something moving around on the floor making terrible grunting and gurgling sounds, and the sound of grinding rusted metal. I backed up to a wall where a shaft of moon light fell from a hole in the ceiling and rain dripped down. The thing that was crawling around on the ground must have seen me because it started heading towards me. I looked down as the light illuminated what it was exactly, and I reeled back in horror.

It appeared to be a human with all amputated limbs, and where there ought to have been a pelvic bone, was only the end of the spine jutting out of the body. The head was rotting, with the face completely barren of flesh, the little that clung to the skull was shredded and encrusted in dried blood. It had been imprisoned in a sort of iron contraption that wrapped around the torso like a ribcage and had four ornate iron Victorian-style wheels, two small ones in front, two larger ones in back. The thing looked up at me with dead eyes, and shrieked.

And then I work up to a cold dark room without electricity. I didn't go back to sleep after that. ^_^
BlackDahlia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 05:54 PM   #38
ashleyxnicole

I had a dream last night I was possessed. Fucking scary.
ashleyxnicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 06:47 PM   #39
Clockwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyxnicole
What site do you use?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
That one. ...It's a link.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:19 PM   #40
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
One rather childish and freaky one I had when I was a little kid was where cookie monster and a conga line of other cookie monster like monsters were slowly chasing after me through the apartment that we then lived in. It too place at night and they sort of looked like an old mid 90s 3d pc computer game character with kind of or like a semi animated profile pic which made them look freaky. As soon they touched me I had one of those bottomless pitfalls with the whole startrek stars thing flying past me. When I woke up I found that i had fallen off the bed onto the hardwood floor only to be even more scared because of the possibility of it being one of those nightmares where it seems like I woke up.

Another one when I was in early elementary school was one where it seemed I was having another regular night awake, yet every soo often I lose control of my gaze and am forced to look at some freakish perversion. Now normaly it would of been fine in a nightmare, but in this one whenever I look at this thing it seems to just emite some kind of freakish field you could call it or somthing that you were forced to feel, somthing that overwealmed the senses forcing fear into my mind even though this particular thing appeared many times, exausting me. Some of them I think ended up in the whole falling into oblivion thing like the last nightmare mentioned. I woke up into a cold sweat and since it was winter and I left my window open a little because I cannot fall asleep when it is too warm I was freezing.

Now another dream I suppose you could call more primative was where I was again going through life as normal. But everywhere I knew there were these shadowy demon things like from the movie ghost even though they happened long before I ever saw it for the first time. This all took place in a night version of my normal life. One I recall was where I was in my room and I realized I had to turn on the light to dispell these things before they got me, and for some crazy reason the lightswitch had a little toy puzzle book I had to solve in order to turn the light on. Ooh did I mention the whole falling into oblivion thing happened in these dreams too when the monsters finaly got to me and simply touched me.

Not suprisingly I would stave off my first Rollercoaster ride for over a decade due to my morbid fear of the sensation of falling. Now I rarely ever dream.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 01:03 AM   #41
Johnny Gnar Gnar

I had one that started about a year ago and ran for a couple of months. A couple of my friends were sitting at my house listening to music, when another guy we knew broke the door down and just opened fire. My one buddy got hit right away, the other one and I hid behind the couch. I wound up with a gun in my hand, and managed to reach over and get a shot off, that took him to the ground. I went over to make sure he was really gone, and he shot me. It woke me up in cold sweats. It's funny how the mind can play tricks, because right before I started having this dream, this same guy pulled a gun on us. Apparently he thought we were doing something fishy with his wife, whom we were all very good friends with. We managed to get the gun away from him, cracked it open, and found two cartridges. I wound up with the cartridges, my friend wound up with the gun, eventually turning it over to the proper authorities. It was definitly a wierd couple of months. Oh, and by the way, his fears were founded, my buddy was messing around with his wife. I actually, now that I think on it, had the dream the night she told me she was pregnant with my friend's child. Wierd. Thankfully, it's all resolved now.
Johnny Gnar Gnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 02:07 AM   #42
DancesWithPeacocks

I have a lot of nightmares where I'm reliving past nasty experiences. And a few more that are like, dreams within dreams, where in one instance, I've lost something, or someone, in the next dream where I've supposedly woken up, I have it/them back, and when I really wake up, they/it are gone again. None of the reoccur quite the same though.
DancesWithPeacocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 04:11 AM   #43
Tindomiel

When I was... seven or something, I had a frequently occuring nightmare.
I dreamt I was lying in my bed, and then I started to hear heavy footsteps in the hallway outside my room. A dark, evil-sounding, voice could be heard murmuring things I couldn't understand.
Sometimes I saw a huge shadow just outside my half-open door.

It probably doesn't sound scary at all, but it was terrible. My little sister (who got my old room a few years ago) has also said that she dreamt about a "dark, scary man outside her door". That's kind of creepy.

Another, more recent, dream I had that really disturbed me was about me, and I commited suicide. And I could watch all of the people that I had left behind, mourning me. One 'scene' that I remember in particular was my daddy. And he was talking to my empty room... I cried like crazy when I woke up.

My stupid brain should be punished with tequila sometimes

But I do have a dream catcher, so I don't have nightmares that often.
Tindomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 01:44 AM   #44
BlackWidow

I had this dream that my dad died. He was driving in his truck and crashed it right in front of me. I stood there watching as his truck flipped over and over and I could see his lifeless body flopping all over and being torn apart by the truck and the road. Finally it flipped one last time and landed right side up and his body was just laying there still inside his truck all bloody. I woke up crying and couldnt stop for days. All I could think about was that crash and how real it was. I also have reaccuring dreams about tornados. I have a huge fear of tornados so I dream all the time that one is coming towards my house and I freak out! Or that I am right in the middle of one! I wake up all freaked out and shaking.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:16 AM   #45
Delicate_Torture

I often have nightmares as a side-effect of medication and I am used to them. I will fairly regularly suffer with night terrors as well, where I can't be woken up because people calling me and shaking me to wake me are just incorporated into my dream state and I start dreaming that I'm being attacked.

Anyways, last night I had a really really bad night. I kept having nightmares over and over again, but the dream itself would start with me waking up lying in bed with Tracey and then something would happen. In one of them there was an earthquake and we had to get our of bed and stand in a doorway, one of our kittens and our ferrets were killed by things falling on them. In another, I dreamt once again that I woke up in bed with Tracey and turned over to face her but she was dead. There were a few of them that I dreamt that I woke with her in bed and there were men in the house with radios who were talking with each other and were planning on how they were going to enter the bedroom to get us seeing as I was armed (I actually sleep with an athame next to my bed.. it is a ritual knife used for marking off an area and I mark a circle around the bed before sleeping each night in an effort to keep my nightmares at bay).

The problem with all of this was that when I woke up, which I did a lot last night... and often woke Tracey at the same time because I would wake up with a scream or a sob... it felt like I was waking in the dream and I would be waiting for something to happen. I couldn't tell if I was still asleep or not. It was an awful feeling and it went on all night.

This morning I discovered that the 'men with radios' dream was triggered by the fact that there were men repainting the lines on the road outside our place last night and I could hear their two-way radios in my sleep.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:29 AM   #46
Delicate_Torture

As for reoccuring dreams... I have a few, but there are two dreams that I have often and that I find disturbing because they are accompanied by the physical sensation of the action involved... they have a feeling of deja vu to them, but not that I've dreamt them before... a feeling that I'm remembering these things in my sleep, not dreaming them.

In one I am digging into my foot with a stick.. I can feel the feeling of the flesh of my foot being scraped and torn by the wood, but the sensation that I feel more is in my hands as I move the stick around to try and tear at my foot better. The other dream is sort of linked to this one in that the sensation that really stands out is the feelings in my hands... in this one I make a small incision in a persons stomach and the poke my fingers in and start digging around in the abdominal cavity through the small wound.. The thing that differs from other dreams that I have is the actual physical sensation that accompanies them. It feels as real as these keys under my fingers right now and it makes me wonder if I have actually experienced these actions in my waking life at some stage.

I'm not saying that I believe that they are from some past life experience, or even related to some childhood trauma.. it is a very real possibility that the only thing that makes them seem so real and disturbing is the adrenaline rush that accompanies them. I'm just saying that it is a curious thing to ponder at times.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:25 AM   #47
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
The scariest thing of all is that everything in the dream is put there by the dreamer.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 02:14 PM   #48
c130

I'm gonna copy + paste the recollection I wrote on another forum for a similar themed thread. This dream is one that I've had at least four times, though each time it's in a different setting and involving different people.

The strangest thing about it is that this is my favourite type of dream, and if I wake up in the morning and it chops off the end of the dream, regardless of whether I have to go to college or not I'll try to go back to sleep to get back into it, so I can keep on running... analyse what you wish from that.

------
ctrl+v

I have this recurring dream that I'm being pursued by people with authority over me, usually teachers (my computing teacher has featured twice now, and she's one of the teachers who was my least favourite while I was at school, although I don't mind her at all now) but occasionally it'll be guards, police, or (once) an unknown opponent.

It usually occurs in a place that I believe to be my school or college, and it feels familiar although it bears no relation to my real school or college. At the start of the dream, there will be seemingly ordinary events, then something will happen that causes the eventual pursuer to desire to speak with me (for example, in last night's dream, I met with some people who I didn't know, and they gave me a packet of particularly rare & illegal mariujana seeds. College security then did a sweep of the rooms in a drugs bust, and I was brought out to speak with the head of the college... btw, I don't use any kind of drug in real life). Always, the reason for discourse will be to reprimand me for something, and possibly to deliver punishment, and when I realise this, I flee.

The pursuer will then start to chase me to stop me from being able to run away (by catching me and imprisoning me), though there is never any violent intent. I'll use obstacles such as lifts, long stairways, and gaps in the ceiling to evade them and hide.

Usually, near the end of the dream, I'll hurt or handicap myself in an attempt to halt the pursuit. In last night's dream I threatened a cook in the cafeteria kitchens into stabbing me with his vegetable knife so I could use my injury to stop my chasers from delivering their message or punishment. In the first dream of this series, near the end of the dream I threw myself through a glass panel in an office door to hide, but I landed on a garden gnome that was in the corner of the office, and I was impaled and died (lmfao XD).

My analysis: Obviously, my subconscious has made a note of the fact that when I'm not looking forward to something (a deadline, homework, or whatever) I'll try hard to think up a reason to avoid it (such as catching a cold, falling asleep on the bus, or breaking both arms) though I never actually do go ahead with the running away bit. It seems that with the injury and occasional death at the end of each pursuit dream, I'm warning myself that trying to run away will result in nothing but self destruction (I can never escape from my pursuers, only keep running).
Old 02-16-2007, 07:27 PM   #49
Lilith's_Lair

It was the last week of Nov. and i hade this dream that i was at my friends house waiting on him for something and in my dream ui fell asleep and when i woke up there my great grandmother came out of the wall dressed in this almish doll that my papaul has anywho she asked me what was wronge i said "nothins wronge" then she went back into the wall and i fell asleep again. but this time when i woke up i was floating , i started to kick and move around trying to get down, and i fell hitting my back and leg on the endtable. when i finally woke from the dream both my back and my leg was hurting in the same place i hit in the dream.
Lilith's_Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 09:19 PM   #50
Crimson_seele

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork

If you want to read something relevant about why we dream the stuff we dream and even about night terrors you should definitely look into The Interpretation of Dreams by Freud. It's his first famous work, and it deals with how the unconscious tried to come afloat when our consciousness needs to be shut down. I've read a LOT of Freud for school work (I'm a sociologist) and I find it is a work that's accesible enough for anyone to read.

I don't really remember having had any night terrors, but my wife has often told me that sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night gasping like crazy and having this look on my face as if I were really scared (with eyes open even) and it always seems like I'm in between the realm of sleep and that of being awake. I really don't remember any of these episodes (save for one particularly scary one that woke me up because I was having an asthma attack), but my wife says they're pretty scary when they occur.
Crimson_seele is offline   Reply With Quote