Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 12-02-2008, 01:18 PM   #26
Solumina

Yeah, because clearly Ophelia wasn't being sarcastic or anything
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 01:22 PM   #27
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina
Those people don't bother me, I find them kind of amusing, but the people who throw a fit when you say "happy holidays" (instead of merry Christmas) really get under my skin. I have an aunt who is one of those people, she has even ranted at a Target cashier about how people shouldn't be so worried about being politically correct and taking baby Jesus out of Christmas so that people wont be offended (the rant went on for a full 5 minutes), to which the poor girl replied "Mam, I'm Jewish, I don't say merry Christmas because I don't celebrate Christmas." The look on my aunt's face was kind of priceless.
Last year I used to get customers asking me "Are you Christian? I want to wish you a Merry Christmas but I don't want to offend you."
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 01:24 PM   #28
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguine Mind
You know, you're gonna get old one day, and while walking in wal mart you take a glance, You see in the corner of your eye a Wool sweater.

You think "These are acually a bit stlyish, And I used to think these were for old people! It's much classier than what the young people wear."

You buy it.

Yup, Thats life, you get old.
She was being sarcastic.
Albert Mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 02:22 PM   #29
Elysiume

I'm not a Christian, but a lot of my family are so I celebrate with them, even though it's not something I care about one bit. It's still nice to see my distant family, a lot of them live in different countries, so I rarely see them. And the presents are not so bad either. And Doctor Who is good.

"I am a citizen of the universe!"
- Porucík Servadac, Na Komete (1970)
Elysiume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 02:59 PM   #30
freddy666

as embarrasing as it is to admit my birthday is on christmass. the thing i like about christmass is that you get good presents. this year im getting my first combat boots. but everything else sucks.
freddy666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 03:05 PM   #31
Beneath the Shadows

Christmas doesn't suck. What some people have turned it into is what sucks.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 04:33 PM   #32
freddy666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneath the Shadows
Christmas doesn't suck. What some people have turned it into is what sucks.
that is very true. the basic idea of coming together with family, eating together and exchanging gifts is good. but then comes in marketing, christmass carols in august, etc.
freddy666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:50 PM   #33
MollyMac

So getting what you want is cool, but people celebrating the day suck? Want some cake, Marie?

I am cool with the hodge podge of holidays, I love the digs in the kitchen, all the kids enjoying themselves... but preparing for it for 6 months? The overkill of it all from duration to decoration to music gets grating. The commercial aspect is annoying and very telling of first world culture- but either reject it on principle or reject it on execution- hating Christmas while wanting new boots for Christmas is as lame as it gets.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:11 PM   #34
badteccy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggoty Anne

And then there's those old people, you know the ones. They wear those revolting sweaters with felt snowmen on them, and necklaces strung with christmas lights! What the fuck is wrong with everyone? Does everyone inexplicably fall victim to the same marketing ploy but me?

Bah!
Are you fucking nuts? Those sweaters are awesome.
badteccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 10:20 PM   #35
Sanguine Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Mond
She was being sarcastic.
I know
Fuckthe10letters
Sanguine Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 05:14 AM   #36
Maggoty Anne

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddy666
You know, you're gonna get old one day, and while walking in wal mart you take a glance, You see in the corner of your eye a Wool sweater.

You think "These are acually a bit stlyish, And I used to think these were for old people! It's much classier than what the young people wear."

You buy it.

Yup, Thats life, you get old.
http://foreveramber.typepad.com/phot...assweaters.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguine Mind
as embarrasing as it is to admit my birthday is on christmass. the thing i like about christmass is that you get good presents. this year im getting my first combat boots. but everything else sucks.
Good old materialissm.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:24 AM   #37
jack_the_knife

The thing that annoys me about Christmas are the overdone festivities, they play Christmas music all the time. Now I don't mind the Toten Hosen Christmas album, but most of it is just horrible. What is quite irritating here is that you go to a shop, and right there, next to Christmas things to hang on your tree and such, are a bunch of chocolate easter bunnies and easter eggs. /rant
jack_the_knife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 02:29 PM   #38
Draconysius

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack_the_knife
The thing that annoys me about Christmas are the overdone festivities, they play Christmas music all the time. Now I don't mind the Toten Hosen Christmas album, but most of it is just horrible. What is quite irritating here is that you go to a shop, and right there, next to Christmas things to hang on your tree and such, are a bunch of chocolate easter bunnies and easter eggs. /rant
See, that's why I started the "Death Metal Christmas" thing.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 02:35 PM   #39
Draconysius

Yeah, but Christmas was a r@ped patchwork compilation of Pagan traditions and now it's the worship of the material. Can't say which is worse. I'll decide when I cash in on one o' these.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 02:37 PM   #40
honeythorn

I couldn't give a toss about the day. I'm pagan so no religious celebrations there. Also not terribly bothered about presents but I do buy them and recieve purely out of habit to be perfectly frank.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 02:43 PM   #41
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconysius
Those priests are scary.
Albert Mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 02:44 PM   #42
Necrophagist

Merry Black Metal Christmas! Ho ho ho wigga fo shizzle!

I am the Antiproduct!

There is, they say, no fool like an old fool - Golding.

" All the war-propaganda, all the screaming and lies and hatred, comes invariably from people who are not fighting." - Orwell.
Necrophagist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 03:39 PM   #43
Apathy's_Child

I like Christmas. I get to see the extended family all in one place, and everyone gets drunk and loosens the fuck up. The build-up is pretty crappy, but the day is usually pretty good.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 03:55 PM   #44
Sanguine Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeythorn
I couldn't give a toss about the day. I'm pagan so no religious celebrations there. Also not terribly bothered about presents but I do buy them and recieve purely out of habit to be perfectly frank.
What about Winter solstace?
Sanguine Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 03:59 PM   #45
MegearaErotica

Yay! I'm going to see snow this Christmas in North Carolina! Usually my Christmas sucks though because my birthday is only a week from Christmas Day and gets lumped together with it.
Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you. If I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away.
-Monty Python and the Holy Grail
MegearaErotica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 04:00 PM   #46
ragamuffin

yeah, you know, here in the city its all about the huge macys building in the middle of downtown and all sorts of squirming tourists looking straight up in the air. (asking god for directions to starbucks?) then my family expects me to take a week off work to come see them so we can have an uncomfortably weird formal dinner and exchange stupid things we wrapped in ugly paper... THAT wont cost me a thousand dollars or anything. oh, it WILL. and you know, its not about the money, its that, if i went down there at a different time of year, we would have MORE fun. stupid christmas turns from that neat thing it is when youre a kid, to a huge mass of obligations and bitterness, and expense. even if you dont do it all up, and hardly celebrate it. it seems to always cost something. i wish it was what they pretend it is when youre a little kid.

(when feeling bitter at XMAS pop in to your ipod/cd player alien sex fiend's 'stuff the turkey'. it will help you feel the spirit the best way one can!)
ragamuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:06 PM   #47
Steppenwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysiume
And Doctor Who is good.
Hell yeah ... Hopefully I'll see it in Sci Fi ... We'll have a new doctor , it seems .
The worst part (of Xmas) is actually having to spend time with the family , you know those you actually don't want to see any time of the whole year , not to speak about wasting time+money buying something and having all the small talk and the free smiles/cookies .
Besides , I just want to use holidays for writing , watching my movies and having long walks . And I hate that old eating shit to death just for the lulz .
New years eve it's other thing . I would die of misery if spent alone ... It's my xmas , my thanksgiving and birthday all in one ... The best day of the year ...
Old 12-03-2008, 09:52 PM   #48
LaBelleDameSansMerci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steppenwolf
We'll have a new doctor , it seems .
:O Oh no! David Tennant is leaving?? But he's the perfect Doctor!

I like Christmas itself. I like the decorating scheme, though that might be because we use an old style of decoration, and don't use tonnes of tinsel and coloured lights and tacky things. I'll post pictures of our tree when we get it up... It won't be for a few weeks, though. And we use a real tree. It smells so much better.
I like the clementine/mandarine oranges. I LOVE the shortbread (you may recall I made an entire thread about it). I love the food in general (though I'd much rather have ham than turkey). I like seeing my family, as boring and normal as they are.
I like old Christmas music, or odd Christmas music. Loreena McKennitt does some wonderful stuff, as do the Tallis Scholars and the Elora Festival Singers and King's College Choir (I highly recommend them to everyone).
I like exchanging gifts, as long as I don't get clothes (I tend not to like them).
I like having time off from school to spend relaxing and hanging out with friends and boyfriend.

But My Goodness the stores are rabid. I don't shop much at any time of the year, but I especially avoid shopping around Christmas, and try to only shop for gifts. Though I have to admit, the traditional Christmas Eve shopping trip that my Dad and I make is kinda fun, especially if you've done most of your shopping beforehand. We always go out for shawarma after.
I hate the tacky things they sell, and I DESPISE the mall Christmas music.
I want to bring a pair of speakers and blast some 500-year-old carols at them.
Like a tea-tray in the sky.

LaBelleDameSansMerci is offline   Reply With Quote