Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 05-31-2005, 07:35 PM   #1
CptSternn

The Cure Lose Keyboardist And Guitarist

Monday May 30, 2005 @ 03:00 PM
By: ChartAttack.com Staff

The Cure

Two members of U.K. goth legends The Cure have left the group, creating uncertainty as to what will happen for their upcoming European tour.

The reason behind the split is unclear, although keyboardist Robert O'Donnell suggested his relationship with Cure founder and lead singer Robert Smith has soured over the past few years.

Posted Monday May 30 on his official website, O'Donnell, who played with the band for eight years, wrote, "What is done is done, however it happened. I was in a group and now I'm not... I wish The Cure all the success they deserve."

Guitarist Perry Bamonte announced his departure on a fan site. "I wish the band well and bear no grudge. I have no definite plans at this time but will inform you if I become involved in any other projects."

Aside from working with The Cure, O'Donnell has been focusing on his solo career for the past six months and hopes to work "in a more relaxed and happy atmosphere than has surrounded The Cure these last couple of years."

As for The Cure, Billboard.com reports Smith may bring former The Glove and Siouxsie & The Banshees bandmate Steve Severin on board for the group's summer tour.

The new lineup will be unveiled August 5 when the band play a festival in Castellon, Spain.

—Ashley Spegel

http://www.chartattack.com/damn/2005/05/3007.cfm
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 11:48 AM   #2
a_S

I didn't know this :?
a_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 09:31 AM   #3
MrMaelstrom

Fuck it... Not even Simon Gallup was in the original line-up.

If The Cure loose Gallup or (Gods forbid) Smith, THEN I'll start to worry.

Perry Bamonte? The ex-roadie turned band member? I don't feel sorry. What? Don't tell me: he's going back to being a lowly sound tech? I think not...

And if they get Severin even if only for the Summer tour: FUCKING GREAT, THEN!!!!!!
MrMaelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 09:36 AM   #4
MrMaelstrom

And on another note, Sternn, I'm nearly 33 and I know your age ain't that much different, so we've seen The Cure go through this a gazillion times before, so let's not scare the little ones who might think this as THE FINAL DEMISE OF THE CURE..., m'kay? At least they're not like The fucking Who, who do farewell tours whenever Pete Townsend needs to go to another rehab clinic or when Roger Daltrey needs tighter trousers (and I love The Who).

Did you come to Portugal this Summer and not say anything, you sorry-arse paddy? I'll quit drinking your whisky and your revenue will drop on account of that alone...
MrMaelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 01:07 PM   #5
Junk Bond Trader

I agree. There is no reason to panic here. The Cure never had a consistent line-up. There are those like Gallup who have been with Robert for a long time, and there were players who were with him somewhat consistently, but the cure has seen various incarnations. Let's keep in mind that albums like The Top were just Robert Smith, Lol Tolhurst and some session musicians. This current lineup only recorded three albums from 1996 to present, and all but one of them were, for various reasons, sub par.
Junk Bond Trader is offline   Reply With Quote