Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:07 PM   #1
FairyGarland

Hi I'm New~

Hi. I'm new.

Here I go by the name FairyGarland.
I'm into reading/writing, art, music, horror movies and many of other things.
My favourite music is a combination of all sorts of genres but primarily goth rock/ death rock/ darkwave/ industrial/ metal/ futurepop/ ethereal/ eurodance/ screamo + some pop.

Hi.
~
FairyGarland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:09 PM   #2
exacerbatedpoet

Hello, FairyGarlard. Welcome to gnet. Please expand, what authors, bands, and or movies do you like?
exacerbatedpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:02 AM   #3
FairyGarland

Oh, sorry.

Authors/books: JK Rowling, Poe, Bram Stoker, Anne Rice, Neil Gaiman, Jhonen Vasquez, John Wyndham, Tolstoy, Emily Bronte, Lemony Snicket, L.J. Smith, etc.

Music: Specimen, Tones on Tail, Theatres des Vampires, Voltaire, The Cure, Emilie Autumn, Escape the Fate, Echo & the Bunnymen, Kelly Clarkson, Bauhaus Blessthefall, Nick Cave, Rick Astley, Sisters of Mercy, Marilyn Manson, Gene Loves Jezebel, BlutEngel, Terminal Choice, VNV Nation, Dope Stars Inc + waaaayyyyyyyy more.

Movies: Lost Boys, Dracula, The Ring, Hannibal, Hannibal Rising, Harry Potter, Interview with the Vampire, Queen of the Damned, Friday the 13th, Dead Silence, anything Tim Burton, Star Wars and several others.

TV: Charmed, South Park, Lenore, Addams Family, Invader Zim, Winx Club, W.I.T.C.H. and other random shows.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:38 AM   #4
JCC

You have terrible taste in literature, TV and film, and the fact that Kelly Clarkson is in the same music list as Nick Cave makes me want to shoot myself.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:15 AM   #5
gothicusmaximus

I'm pretty sure that her taste in literature averages out at mediocre. You're free to believe that Tolstoy is terrible, but the consensus of generations of scholars is quite opposite to that idea.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:54 AM   #6
JCC

The inclusion of Tolstoy does not make that list redeemable. Every other writer in that list except for Poe, who was mediocre edging towards being an above-average writer, is terrible.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:06 AM   #7
gothicusmaximus

Rowling: 1/10
Poe: 8/10
Stoker: 6/10
Rice : 2/10
Gaiman: 5/10
Vasquez: 0/10
Wyndham: 7/10
Tolstoy: 10/10
Bronte: 7/10
Lemony Snicket: 1/10
Smith: 0/10

Total: 4.27/10. Mediocre.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:20 AM   #8
harlow

Whats with people and Anne Rice anyway, I read one and had to throw it away a thrid of the way in. Seriously, how many pages can she write discribing the painting in a room, or the clothing a character has. Thought I was going to read a story, not a god damn discriptive writing on the objects of the fantasy world she creates.
harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:44 AM   #9
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus
Rowling: 1/10
Stoker: 6/10
Rice : 2/10
Gaiman: 5/10
Tolstoy: 10/10
Bronte: 7/10
Lemony Snicket: 1/10

Total: 4.27/10. Mediocre.
The items listed in bold are erroneous.

Rowling: -10/10
Stoker: -10/10
Rice: -2/10
Gaiman: 2/10
Tolstoy: 9/10
Bronte: 4/10
Snicket: 0/10

Total: 0.8/10

Atrocious.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:01 PM   #10
gothicusmaximus

You just gave Jhonen Vasquez a higher score than Bram Stoker. Jhonen Vasquez draws ugly cartoons that are as funny as Duane and as tiresomely fixated with violence as Deadman_walking. Bram Stoker created one of the most enduring fictional characters of all time, shaped the horror genre forever, and made an indelible mark on global popular culture. You also gave Anne Rice a higher score than Bram Stoker, which is perhaps more even more unjustifiable, given that she does the exact same thing as Bram Stoker, only worse. In fact, you gave both of those authors lower scores than LJ Smith, the esteemed pen who composed such Young Adult masterworks as "Secret Vampire", "The Kill", "Soulmate", and the upcoming "Midnight", which I can only imagine is a Twilight rip-off. My attempt to comprehend how you deduced these figures has induced in me a headache on par with that I might experience after reading LJ's entire library of work.

Tolstoy only gets a 9/10? Who gets a 10/10? Not Bukowski, I hope.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:12 PM   #11
JCC

10/10 is such sheer perfection that I can't imagine who deserves that mantle. As for the errors of the Bram Stoker issue, I am merely incensed by how overrated the man is and forgot about the misgivings of the others, but will review my scorings.

Rowling: -10/10
Stoker: -10/10
Rice: -12/10
Gaiman: 1/10
Vasquez: -20/10
Tolstoy: 9/10
Bronte: 4/10
Snicket: 0/10
Smith: -20/10

Total: -43/10

Unbelievably atrocious.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:35 PM   #12
exacerbatedpoet

FairyGarland I don't think your taste in literature is bad although JCC thinks my taste in literature is bad so hey maybe its because we like some of the same stuff. I also like Anne Rice, JK Rowling, both of the Brontes, and Poe.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:46 PM   #13
isobel black

Quote:
Originally Posted by exacerbatedpoet
both of the Brontes
I was just wondering, which one don't you like?
isobel black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:02 PM   #14
FairyGarland

XD I wouldn't call my taste in literature bad it's just limited because my library sucks 'cos most of the books are for kids + buying books isn't always cheap. I'd like to read all sorts of new stuff but that's not possible when all I get recommended by people is over-hyped YA fiction like Twilight and such titles.
As of late I've considered reading Asimov but my library's selection is terrible.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:18 PM   #15
JCC

Read Asimov. Do anything to improve the calibre of your current selection. Amazon sells a lot of classic books for a penny each (not sure what it'll be if you're a Yank)
Old 01-06-2009, 03:31 PM   #16
Godslayer Jillian

Tolstoy deserves the 10/10

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 03:36 PM   #17
gothicusmaximus

JCC and I will never come to agreement as I believe only a few literary works have achieved the ignominy of 'negative writing'. Incidentally, they can all be found here on gothic.net.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:44 PM   #18
SKULHEDFACE

Welcome to gothic.net where we judge the opinions of strangers with our own opinions which we state as facts.
SKULHEDFACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 03:49 PM   #19
exacerbatedpoet

Quote:
Originally Posted by isobel black
I was just wondering, which one don't you like?
Well I like Charlotte and Emily.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:57 PM   #20
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKULHEDFACE
Welcome to gothic.net where we judge the opinions of strangers with our own opinions which we state as facts.
Most people speak absolutely when they express their opinions. That others may have dissenting views is implicit whenever I address subjective matters. If it helps, you can just imagine "I THINK" at the beginning of every sentence I type.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:00 PM   #21
FairyGarland

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus
Most people speak absolutely when they express their opinions. That others may have dissenting views is implicit whenever I address subjective matters. If it helps, you can just imagine "I THINK" at the beginning of every sentence I type.
Don't worry I understand that the purpose of a forum is for people to express their disparate viewpoints on a subject and I am rather opinionated myself. I - unlike most others in my generation - can also accept that others may have a viewpoint that differs from my own.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:01 PM   #22
Mr. Filth

Once you reach the intellect of people like gothicus and myself, your opinions basically become better than facts.

Pointing out that opinions are opinions is stupid. If it weren't an opinion you wouldn't speak it. Stop pretending it's some kind of grand epiphany when it comes to understanding that the things people speak are opinions.
Mr. Filth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 04:29 PM   #23
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyGarland
I - unlike most others in my generation - can also accept that others may have a viewpoint that differs from my own.
That's nice, but you must also remember not all opinions are equally valid. Accepting that there's different opinions isn't the same as accepting those different opinions.
This is not directed at your tastes or anything, but it's the next step after accepting everyone has different opinions.
There's no value in the opinion of someone that believes the earth to be shaped like a bowl.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 04:34 PM   #24
FairyGarland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
That's nice, but you must also remember not all opinions are equally valid. Accepting that there's different opinions isn't the same as accepting those different opinions.
This is not directed at your tastes or anything, but it's the next step after accepting everyone has different opinions.
There's no value in the opinion of someone that believes the earth to be shaped like a bowl.
That is true but if they believe that the earth is shaped like a bowl they are entitled to have their opinion regardless of the validity and their opinion still deserves to be respected.
I do not wish to start arguments but that is what I believe.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:37 AM   #25
isobel black

Quote:
Originally Posted by exacerbatedpoet
Well I like Charlotte and Emily.
Anne's my least favourite as well. That seems to be the general consencus. But there is a third Bronte sister, an interesting factoid you might want to remember, since they're usually regarded as some sort of sickly Victorian spinster novelist trinity.

This got me thinking, I find it really hard to decide whether I prefer Charlotte or Emily. Wuthering Heights is definetely my farourite book as a whole, but I really like the Gothic aspects of Jane Eyre and Villette, and I would say Jane Eyre has the most literary merit.
isobel black is offline   Reply With Quote