Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Shill
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Shill Post your website announcements here. Anything that is blatantly SPAM (nigerian schemes, make money fast, etc) will be deleted. Actually, we'd probably keep the nigerian schemes around to make fun of it.

Old 11-27-2008, 01:45 PM   #51
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Crowbar
Emo- A music genre that died in the early 90's.
"Emo" kids steal styles from Punk, Goth and Scene and mis them together, calling it "Emo". They have no imagination to make their own style.
Scene doesn't have a style. Scene looked 'gangsta' not too long ago. Emos and scenesters only started looking alike once emo boomed. From my understanding, 'scene' is just based on what's big.
Albert Mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 10:06 AM   #52
a morbid curiosity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Mond
If they sound nothing like emo, they aren't emo-pop. End of. And for the record, MCR sounds rather emo.
MCR does not sound emo. At least not everything after I Brought You My Bullets.

Quote:
Doomed to fucking what?
Uh, doomed to fucking extinction?
a morbid curiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 10:27 AM   #53
schoolsucksletsanarky

I get so pissed off when people say emo and goth are the same thing, or say that someone is "goth and emo". I also get pissed when people say that emo just means depression and wrist cutting. Emo is a genre of music with people who like it. Thats it. And I don't like emo music.
schoolsucksletsanarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 10:56 AM   #54
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by a morbid curiosity
MCR does not sound emo. At least not everything after I Brought You My Bullets.
What the fuck did you think I was referring to?
Quote:
Uh, doomed to fucking extinction?
No. Emo has to stay small or it dies. When emo got big, it killed itself.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:12 AM   #55
a morbid curiosity

Quote:
What the fuck did you think I was referring to?
Well, MCR's later material is most famous. If this is your typical example of emo-pop then you're just proving that it's distantly related and, what's more, it's not really that popular anyway.

Quote:
No. Emo has to stay small or it dies. When emo got big, it killed itself.
Um, as I've been trying to get through to you: even if emo existed as a sub-culture now, it'd be too small to be around for long because a haircut and a penchant for a couple of bands just won't last.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:27 AM   #56
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
Well, MCR's later material is most famous. If this is your typical example of emo-pop then you're just proving that it's distantly related and, what's more, it's not really that popular anyway.
Nope. Their later, more popular stuff is emo-pop. Their earlier stuff is emo.
And someone can play a metal song without metal influences. Whether or not MCR was influenced directly by emo doesn't matter, as the style fits.
Quote:
Um, as I've been trying to get through to you: even if emo existed as a sub-culture now, it'd be too small to be around for long because a haircut and a penchant for a couple of bands just won't last.
It lasted from the earl '90s until the late '90s as a small subculture. It boomed out of proportion in the the very late '90s. Your idea that a small subculture can't survive is utterly ludicrous. The fact that many emos still listen to both emo and "screamo" (a sub-genre of emo) is further evidence that it not only survived, but grew even in its truer form when it became the 'thing to be'.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:49 AM   #57
a morbid curiosity

Quote:
Nope. Their later, more popular stuff is emo-pop. Their earlier stuff is emo.
And someone can play a metal song without metal influences. Whether or not MCR was influenced directly by emo doesn't matter, as the style fits.
I comprehend, but their earlier stuff is not emo. I hear no blast beats and no intricate guitar melodies or anything. Besides, I don't see how this can really pertain to emo at all.

Quote:
It lasted from the earl '90s until the late '90s as a small subculture.
No, it didn't. It was a fan base, not a sub-culture.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:57 AM   #58
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
I comprehend, but their earlier stuff is not emo. I hear no blast beats and no intricate guitar melodies or anything. Besides, I don't see how this can really pertain to emo at all.
It sounds like you've only listened to one fucking emo band.
The day this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMYHJsoz3yE) is "intricate" is the day pigs fly.
Quote:
No, it didn't. It was a fan base, not a sub-culture
You can call the goth and grunge scenes fanbases, too. Again, I must point out that the 'Indie Emo' scene was small, but far from insignificant. At this point, you might as well just choose a random large number and say "this is how many people you need to have to have a subculture".
Old 11-28-2008, 11:58 AM   #59
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
a haircut and a penchant for a couple of bands just won't last.
Quote:
No, it didn't. It was a fan base, not a sub-culture.
Just like goth?

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 12:27 PM   #60
a morbid curiosity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
Just like goth?
No. Goth rock had quite a definite style and a definite associated image.
Emo's a tiny sub-genre of hardcore and even what Albert Mond says about its image and 'fashion' is pretty open and vague.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:29 PM   #61
Godslayer Jillian

Grunge 'fashion' is pretty open and vague ("whatever you find cheap"? What the hell kind of fashion statement is that huh!)
So grunge is only a fan base?

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Old 11-28-2008, 01:12 PM   #62
a morbid curiosity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
Grunge 'fashion' is pretty open and vague ("whatever you find cheap"? What the hell kind of fashion statement is that huh!)
So grunge is only a fan base?
Sub-cultures aren't only to do with fashion. Besides, grunge pretty much follows a set of rules, everything's stripped of pretensions and gimmicks, that's kind of the point. So it does have an associated image of sorts.
Albert Mond said that emo sub-culture is emo music + tight jeans and a long fringe, but I think that's highly debatable and I don't think it's enough to constitute a sub-culture.
Old 11-28-2008, 01:20 PM   #63
Godslayer Jillian

Tell me something. Are you saying that emo is not a subculture in its own rights, or that Albert's definition of emo would not make a subculture?
Just because Albert is wrong you're going to downright deny an actual subculture with actual norms that are even less superficial than goths?

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 11-28-2008, 01:23 PM   #64
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
Albert Mond said that emo sub-culture is emo music + tight jeans and a long fringe, but I think that's highly debatable and I don't think it's enough to constitute a sub-culture.
That's not even what I said. I said emo fashion was primarily tight jeans/fringe.
The sub-culture is BASED around emo-music.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:06 AM   #65
a morbid curiosity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jilian
Tell me something. Are you saying that emo is not a subculture in its own rights, or that Albert's definition of emo would not make a subculture?
Just because Albert is wrong you're going to downright deny an actual subculture with actual norms that are even less superficial than goths?
I'm saying Albert's definition of emo wouldn't make a sub-culture but I'm also saying I wouldn't think of emo as a sub-culture because it's not very widespread and loosely defined, the word having being misconstrued by angsty teens everywhere. It now pretty much has become a playground name-calling term.
So you can say I'm wrong if you want, I just define emo as the genre of music.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:20 PM   #66
KontanKarite

I think the actual goth subculture and the emo fad can damn near be interchangeable. They DO look a whole hell of a lot alike.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 03:44 PM   #67
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite
I think the actual goth subculture and the emo fad can damn near be interchangeable. They DO look a whole hell of a lot alike.
I think I see more punk and indie in emo.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:08 PM   #68
Blakeny

I went to a music festival that was crawling with Emo clones everywhere. Literally thousands of them. They were all skinny, wearing the same kind of jeans, the same kind of belt, the same kind of hair, all held themselves the same. I watched in disbelief. I felt like I had stepped into an Orwellian nightmare gone VERY VERY bad.

Let's just be honest: Emo is a subculture, and subcultures, while they have a definitive idea they are based on, (emotional being the basis for this one) they tend to be pretty slippery when you actually try to specifically define them. That's just the way subcultures are. You can chase yourself in circles for days trying to come to a solid conclusion.

I wonder how long the emo culture will last.

To me, when you can specifically define what a subculture is, that is when you know it's on the way out.
Blakeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 04:11 PM   #69
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakeny
I went to a music festival that was crawling with Emo clones everywhere. Literally thousands of them. They were all skinny, wearing the same kind of jeans, the same kind of belt, the same kind of hair, all held themselves the same. I watched in disbelief. I felt like I had stepped into an Orwellian nightmare gone VERY VERY bad.
That's pretty disturbing, really.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:16 PM   #70
KontanKarite

Quote:
I think I see more punk and indie in emo.
I was being dismissive.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:41 PM   #71
MegearaErotica

I've yet to see an emo who is of a normal body size. To me they all look overly fat or anorexic.
Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you. If I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away.
-Monty Python and the Holy Grail
MegearaErotica is offline   Reply With Quote