Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 11-16-2008, 11:35 AM   #1
Man In Room 5

Straight Razor Shaving

Does anyone here shave with an old fashioned straight razor? I've been thinking of reverting to this and I'm looking for advice on using or buying a straight razor and accessories. A quality straight razor is expensive but will last the rest of my life while OTOH blades for my Gillette Sensor Excel cartridge razor are also expensive and hardly last more than a few shaves. I figure a quality straight razor will pay for itself in about a year. I'm generally good with my hands, I carried (and used) a knife in my juvenile delinquent days, and I've used knives on my job for over a decade so I'm not really afraid of trying. I don't shave daily but I think I would if I knew I wasn't wasting blades and money. I already own an antique straight razor but it needs cleaning and sharpening before I'd attempt to use it. I also own a piece of shit straight razor that I foolishly bought at the mall, which is totally unsuitable for actual shaving. (It's about as authentic as the ninja swords you could buy at the same shop.) Any advice on buying or using straight razors would be helpful before I spend about $80 on one. Once I do buy one I'll also post my experiences with it if anyone else is interested.
Man In Room 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 12:22 PM   #2
Solumina

Here is a really old thread that may be helpful...mind you there is also a lot of random crap there that wont be the least bit helpful.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 01:25 PM   #3
PinstripesAndPithHelmets

Honestly, shaving with a straight razor is a pain in the ass. I did it for a while, and it was just too much work for me. The problem is that you need to angle the blade properly, at roughly 45 degrees to your face. Now, that may sound simple at first, but your face contours, and as it does so must you re-angle the razor every time you move it. That, combined with the fact that you need to strop the fucking thing on a leather strap every time you use it made me abandon straight razors for a more modern fixed blade affair. I did, however, keep the shaving soap and lathering brush.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:35 PM   #4
Man In Room 5

Thanks for the link Solumina. I actually did a search for "straight razor" before starting this thread but I missed the thread you found because I didn't actually open most of the threads found in the search. I just moused over their titles and read the bit in the mouseover window--which isn't always an accurate reflection of the contents.

Altho I did get a kick out of all the depressing suicidal poems and self-harm discussions I found.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:50 AM   #5
Maggoty Anne

I would try Brass Goggles. They have a shitload of topics on that sort of thing.
http://brassgoggles.co.uk/bg-forum/i...hp?topic=541.0

I wouldn't want to shave with something that could be used to kill me, sorry. :P
Old 11-17-2008, 09:55 AM   #6
Man In Room 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggoty Anne
I would try Brass Goggles. They have a shitload of topics on that sort of thing.
http://brassgoggles.co.uk/bg-forum/i...hp?topic=541.0

I wouldn't want to shave with something that could be used to kill me, sorry. :P
Cool. I assumed there would be a Steampunk forum somewhere that would have more info but I was too lazy to look and figured there would be some goths into straight razors too. Thanks for the link....and I see you're into Lovecraft too.

Marry me.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:16 AM   #7
Maggoty Anne

There's a magazine you might like:
http://www.steampunkmagazine.com/

It's really good.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:14 AM   #8
NightmareInShiningArmour

Ever since I saw Sweeney Todd on Saturday I've wanted one of these!
Where can I find them? Ebay?
Old 11-18-2008, 05:30 PM   #9
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightmareInShiningArmour
Ever since I saw Sweeney Todd on Saturday I've wanted one of these!
Where can I find them? Ebay?
Fuck off.

idiot
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 01:54 AM   #10
NightmareInShiningArmour

Why am I an idiot? 0.o
Old 11-19-2008, 02:02 AM   #11
Sanguine Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightmareInShiningArmour
Why am I an idiot? 0.o
You're not, Joker is an Asshole.
Sanguine Mind is offline   Reply With Quote