Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 11-18-2005, 03:02 AM   #1
MrMaelstrom

New Mod

In case no one noticed, E_E got bumped up the food chain and is now a moderator.

I'm not even sure if E_E is still around, but if so, I appreciatte it, seen as at least on a political level he represents the opposite side of my political spectrum, and also represents in a perfect way how people can disagree without resorting to cheap insults (our insults are carefully crafted and extremely expensive).

So anyway, congratulations, E_E. You are now a G.net janitor, just like me. Ain'tcha proud?
Old 11-18-2005, 03:09 AM   #2
Demonista_Ravenesque

Congratulations to E_E .....I'm not too sure or anything but has most of the *main* members left?

Excuse me for my incoherence.....It's late, i'm stuck with an essay but damn curious.

But again...If he can, I hope to see E_E's posts again.

Hier sind doch irgendwo kinder versteckt
Demonista_Ravenesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 04:07 AM   #3
mortalitas incomitatus

has anyone emailed him?

i really dont think he is around anymore, no-one is, sadly

cheers for the update mael.

*another eliter*
mortalitas incomitatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 04:10 AM   #4
MrMaelstrom

Alright Demonista, here's a lil' english 101: members are plural, so it's not they "has", but they "have", m'kay?

I'm not sure who's here and who's left. I think just about everyone has threatened to leave at some time or another.

Give it some time, and we'll figure things out.

If old members are leaving, we're counting on you youngins to take up the slack, 'k?

I mean, Xnguela was 15 and a virgin when she got here. But now, she's not 15 anymore!

It's funny but time goes by and we see people as they grow older and wiser (or just older in many cases )

And then again, even older members have left when some of these vets were newbs, so there are cycles here.

Stick around, we'll have some fun.
Old 11-18-2005, 04:23 AM   #5
mortalitas incomitatus

meal, how can you expect all of us to stick around when there are way too many idiots to wade through who offer me death threats and generally make a mockery of the whole site.
plus who the hell besides you is actually moderating this thing?
there needs to be some control, i've only been here a few months but i've made some good friends and even i have noticed this site go downhill.....fast.
is this site being advertised some where, is that the cause of the fucktard invasion?
i'm not having a go at you mael, but this place has gone to the doggs.
care to explain the whole situation?

*another eliter*
Old 11-18-2005, 05:42 AM   #6
MrMaelstrom

A lot has happened since the boards reopened with a new layout and features.

Even us mods weren't aware how significant some of these changes were.

We have an inbuilt software to detect specific words (like ****, ****** and the like) do discourage paedophiles coming here form search engines.

We ued to ban by IP address, but that led to a few members being cast out just because they happened to use an IP from the same area as a banned troll.

Banning is strictly limited to the admins.

Moderators can delete posts and threads, close them and reopen them if need be.

Instead of banning people, which only leads to trolss registering under a new name, members can click on the offenders name, and be led to their specific profile where they can click on a very usefull button that says "IGNORE USER", which hopefully will lead to any post by that person not being visible to you (what you can't see won't hurt you).

As a moderator, I've also been "incapacitated" geographically, seen as I'm online during working hours at the Greenwhich Meridian Time (the original time zero which includes London and Lisbon). this means that I'm seldom online when the US peak traffic happens.

EPS, my fellow moderator, has been dealing with a significant number of personal issues recently (from personal health, family and school matters) and hasn't been able to give me the help she normally would (to be honest, cleaning up the boards was mostly her accomplishment and not mine).

But E_E has just been promoted, as seen as he's one of the members who dwelve here for longer periods during the day, if online, he'll be able to help me out weeding out trolls.

As you might read on Dirtnap's post in the "re-mod Xnguela" thread, it's very advisable not to reply to trolls, as it fuels their fire and poluttes these boards.

Please, click on the "ignore" button I mentioned, denounce their crapp posts to us (it's a little thing under the offenders avatar that you click to rat someone to us) and wait for the janitors (me) to clean up.

I know its very entertaining to see just how colourfull our insults can be when dealing with trolls, but as you mentioned yourself, there's a limit to what we can do, and there seems to be no limit to someone who really just wants to piss you off.

You act pissed off, and that means thay have just succeeded.

No matter how infuriating they may be, please do not allow them to make you reply to them. It gives them exactly what they want: attention.

I have to say that Xnguelas huge heart, along with her love for the people on this site, made her an easy target for trolls to pick on. Her constant defence of this site was so passionate and heated, it fueled trolls to stick around and come back for more, as they found that they struck a chord somewhere when insulting members of this site when she was around (which she naturally responded to) and by attacking her when other members were around (who naturally came to her defence).

Most of these people are nothing but a bunch of desperate tossers who have no one else in their lives to give them any kind of attention. But every once in a while, one of these tossers (wankers in the queens' english) is unbalanced enough to be a potential physical threat to a member that crosses their path.

We've had shitloads of death threats before, and even a few stalkers. They were dealt with apropriately (yes, we can hunt them down if need be and have done so in the past, and I mean knocking at your door, not just dobbing you to the cops), and we can do it again.

But the fact is, it's a lot of trouble to go through to deal with worthless morons we can simply chose to ignore in the 1st place.

I know it hasn't been good as of late, butit will change if you and other members interact only with people when thay act decently. When it turns out they were just yanking your chain in order to later turn into trolls, then please ignore them and let us know (yes, even if you only suspect them to be trolls. Alkilyu has a pretty good nose to spot trolls under new names).

I hope you and others chose to stick around. I want this to return to being a site dedicated to HORROR FICTION WRITINGS, and not just a place where people who type "goth" on a search engine come to.

Thanks you for listening and for sticking with us so far (especially as of late).

p.s. please pardon my typos, but I'm at work right now (thank God it's Friday!!!!!!!)
Old 11-18-2005, 07:11 PM   #7
mortalitas incomitatus

thanks babe, it's a bit clearer now but we need to get the older crew back somehow.
the site need to be nurtured a little.
once again cheers mael.

*another eliter*
Old 11-18-2005, 07:32 PM   #8
Manimal

That'd be great if we started seeing EE around again - and the others that have "left"
Manimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 05:33 AM   #9
edible_eye

hiya, guys.

it's weird having been away for a few days - 1.) because so much goes on here, and 2.) as odd as it might sound (in real world standards), i did miss chatting with ya'all. on the flip side, i have indeed started writing again and it feels good.

i received an e-mail asking me to be a moderator and as such, i intend to return - at least to help mael, e_p_s and dirtnap (i'm still not sure who that is - i think he/she is an administrator / owner of the site as well as a mod, am i right?) clean up the boards. i haven't responded to the e-mail yet, but i will later today to accept. it's the right thing to do, especially given my reasons for leaving earlier.

i'm new at this and i'll do my best - but i'll ask in advance to cut me some slack if i trip-up while trying on these new shoes. and that doesn't mean i'm asking for a free ride - just that disputes, should they arise, be discussed. anyway, enough of that - we'll see how it goes.

another day, another chapter. it feels good to walk these halls again and see some familiar faces.

Last edited by edible_eye; 11-19-2005 at 05:40 AM.
edible_eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 08:29 AM   #10
edible_eye

you guys did the fighting, i'd had my fill.

unfortunately, despite how good it feels to lash back, it does tend to fuel the fire.

anyway, it's good to see you again also, luscious santarea. and i'll take one of those beers, please. god damn, that'd be perfect right about now.

thanx.
Old 11-19-2005, 11:12 AM   #11
ohthefuckwell

congrats, edible_eye!

they couldn't have picked a scari.....uhhhh..... nicer guy.
Old 11-19-2005, 11:20 AM   #12
Jane13

Congrats, E_E...

and Mister, thank you so much for clearing up the confusion for us a best you can. It is truly appreciated. Manimal! If this has all led to something positive, you're posting.
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Jane13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 11:25 AM   #13
polished_wolf_claws

I don't think they could have picked a better person to Mod
They should give you travel expenses and send you all james bond/ Super Spy style to go 'Discourage' the troll population from posting here ^^
I'd Donate to that Charity

"Teh Lordz Satan Protektz me frm ebil in mah PANTS!!!!!11111"
polished_wolf_claws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 12:07 PM   #14
edible_eye

meet ya half-way, beautiful. and seeing as though you have the talent for dance, how about serving it to me in motion?
Old 11-19-2005, 03:01 PM   #15
ghostposts

Woot!! *Does the happy dance.*

ghostposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 04:57 PM   #16
NyQuil of Doom

I'm glad I didn't leave.

e_e will be an awesome mod.
Old 11-19-2005, 05:08 PM   #17
TheKorovaMilkbar

Now, this is what I'm talking about! *cheers*

Let's fight the good fight.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:48 PM   #18
winged_dreams

*dances* Great!! This is an awesome thing to come back to after only two days worth of absence. I usually can't get to a computer on the weekends so... ^^

MrMaelstrom: Er... are you lactating?

Elite "No Clue What the Number Is"
winged_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 01:25 PM   #19
secretboy

'grats, e_e, you hound you.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:23 PM   #20
edible_eye

aw, you guys.....

... shucks ...

keep it coming.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:26 PM   #21
edible_eye

yeah. i guess that just crossed the barrier, didn't it?
Old 11-21-2005, 02:39 PM   #22
rockandrose

Times like this, I need confetti!

*YAY* to e_e for being promoted as a mod!

Now, you don't have a excuse to leave g.net!
Old 11-21-2005, 04:27 PM   #23
tenet_2012

e_e, you look kind of scary/evil in your new avatar.

I love it.

--Geisha
tenet_2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 06:22 PM   #24
AlKilyu

AlKilyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 06:32 PM   #25
edible_eye

hahahahahaha....

i always did like a good fight.