Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 11-07-2008, 12:08 AM   #1
Sir. Helpmann

Race Is Not An Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolly PopMuzik
As the one of few black folks on here, I say there's more history to make with this and quite a bit of potential.
I don't quite see what point "black folks" are trying to say. Are they trying to suggest that, as "black folks" they are more qualified to have an opinion politically regarding Barack Obama because he is "black"?

(mixed race)

It's such nonsense. What if the President elected had a big chin?

Would everyone who had a big chin be more qualified to have an opinon politically regarding President Chin?
Sir. Helpmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 12:21 AM   #2
Albert Mond

America's a very racist country. If you understood that, you'd see why his victory is such a triumph over there.
Albert Mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 12:23 AM   #3
Sir. Helpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Mond
America's a very racist country. If you understood that, you'd see why his victory is such a triumph over there.
If America was such a racist country then he wouldn't have been elected.

Or maybe people voted for him to show that they aren't racist?

What exactly are you trying to say? That America still has large tracts of Racism? Are you surprised? It is made up of 301,139,947 citizens. I am SURE amongst such a MASSIVE population you're still going to have racism.

But guess what, you're also still going to have ****, murder and theft too.

Get over it.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:27 AM   #4
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir. Helpmann

Or maybe people voted for him to show that they aren't racist?

What exactly are you trying to say? That America still has large tracts of Racism? Are you surprised? It is made up of 301,139,947 citizens. I am SURE amongst such a MASSIVE population you're still going to have racism.

But guess what, you're also still going to have ****, murder and theft too.

Get over it.
Weren't you the one going on about how America's so much to the political right compared to your part of the world?
Old 11-07-2008, 12:29 AM   #5
Sir. Helpmann

Quote:
Weren't you the one going on about how America's so much to the political right compared to your part of the world?
Only with regards to wealth and public property.

Which is why Obama could never possibly implament a National Health service in the same way a European country can.

Nor does he intend to.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:31 AM   #6
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
Only with regards to wealth and public property.

Which is why Obama could never possibly implament a National Health service in the same way a European country can.

Nor does he intend to.
Call me in four-to-eight years.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:34 AM   #7
Sir. Helpmann

Quote:
Call me in four-to-eight years.
You're so getting your heart broken.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:38 AM   #8
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
You're so getting your heart broken.
We'll see, my friend, we'll see.
Hope you know how to spell "implement" by then.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:40 AM   #9
Joker_in_the_Pack

Ladies, ladies, settle down.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 12:44 AM   #10
Sir. Helpmann

Quote:
We'll see, my friend, we'll see.
Hope you know how to spell "implement" by then.
HOW TO PRETEND TO BE WINNING ARGUMENTS ALBERT MOND STYLE:

This is a great tip for you aspiring Pseudointellectuals out there who may want to emulate Albert Mond's rhetorical style

If your opponent has taken up a line of argument that will end in your defeat, you must not allow him to carry it to its conclusion.

Interrupt the dispute, break it off altogether, or lead the opponent to a different subject.

SEE YOU NEXT TIME!
Old 11-07-2008, 12:48 AM   #11
x-deviant-x

Quote:
That's not necessarily true. It's not necessarily untrue either though.

It is a huge milestone, not just for black people but for all minorities in the US, that Obama was elected.

This country is traditionally run by white conservatives. It just so happens that the last white conservative we had in office was such a fuck-up that people wanted ANYONE that wasn't him. I don't believe Obama would have been elected if Bush hadn't been in office the last 8 years. I could be wrong though. Who knows. At the very least, he would likely have had a more difficult campaign if it weren't for Bush. He's not the first black man to run for president. He is the first to be nominated by democrats or republicans though. What makes it even more surprising is that he hasn't been in politics for very long. Yet even before he became a senator, he did a lot of good in various communities, mostly around Chicago, which probably helped him a lot in this election. Further, he inspired a lot of people to vote, who never voted before - especially black people. Had he not been so determined to get more and more people to register, McCain would likely be our next president.

Still, electing Obama doesn't mean the US is any less racist than it was before he started campaigning, it just means that he inspired more people to vote. There are more "African-American" (I guess I should be saying, though I don't agree with that term) voters this election than there ever has been. In general there were more people voting this election than there ever have been in this country's history.

As for racism, there's areas that are much more racist, or discriminatory, than others. Those areas most always vote republican.

Its late, I'm tired. I probably didn't word things quite the way I should have.
x-deviant-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 12:58 AM   #12
PortraitOfSanity

To the OP: Look, you're from England right? You've never been to the ghetto, so you really have no understanding of the issue at hand.

I don't mean that to be offensive, but until you've seen the problems minorities face in the States first-hand, you really don't know what you're talking about.
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 01:02 AM   #13
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
HOW TO PRETEND TO BE WINNING ARGUMENTS ALBERT MOND STYLE:

This is a great tip for you aspiring Pseudointellectuals out there who may want to emulate Albert Mond's rhetorical style

If your opponent has taken up a line of argument that will end in your defeat, you must not allow him to carry it to its conclusion.

Interrupt the dispute, break it off altogether, or lead the opponent to a different subject.

SEE YOU NEXT TIME!
HOW TO PRETEND TO BE WINNING ARGUMENTS HELPMANN STYLE:

Step 1: Use a single irrelevant event as your reference for your hypothesis about a seperate event.
Step 2: When you fail to make a convincing argument due to your lack of reading comprehension, or your opponent points out your lack of credibility, distract them with one of these "Arguments" posts.

GOOD LUCK, DUMBASS!

Quote:
yay!111 i weeen argoomint!111 i can haz candee now??//
Yes. Yes you can.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:05 AM   #14
Sir. Helpmann

Quote:
HOW TO PRETEND TO BE WINNING ARGUMENTS HELPMANN STYLE:

Step 1: Use a single irrelevant event as your reference for your hypothesis about a seperate event.
Step 2: When you fail to make a convincing argument due to your lack of reading comprehension, or your opponent points out your lack of credibility, distract them with one of these "Arguments" posts.

GOOD LUCK, DUMBASS!

Yes. Yes you can.
Mere bluff and plagarism of style.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:13 AM   #15
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
I don't quite see what point "black folks" are trying to say. Are they trying to suggest that, as "black folks" they are more qualified to have an opinion politically regarding Barack Obama because he is "black"?

(mixed race)

It's such nonsense. What if the President elected had a big chin?

Would everyone who had a big chin be more qualified to have an opinon politically regarding President Chin?
Until you live in America, until you see how deep old hatreds lie in the blood of the common people, until you feel completely isolated in an American neighborhood by your friends and neighbors, then don't talk about whether or not race is an issue in this country.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

Old 11-07-2008, 01:19 AM   #16
Sir. Helpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_in_the_Pack
Until you live in America, until you see how deep old hatreds lie in the blood of the common people, until you feel completely isolated in an American neighborhood by your friends and neighbors, then don't talk about whether or not race is an issue in this country.
Move out.

Problem solved.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:30 AM   #17
Godslayer Jillian

Yeah, because it's common knowledge that the poor and underprivileged have the marvelous option of being able to afford to leave their home just as much as a rich guy can go see Paris.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 09:18 AM   #18
Sir. Helpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
Yeah, because it's common knowledge that the poor and underprivileged have the marvelous option of being able to afford to leave their home just as much as a rich guy can go see Paris.
I'll deal with you later...

...watch this space.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:37 AM   #19
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortraitOfSanity
To the OP: Look, you're from England right? You've never been to the ghetto, so you really have no understanding of the issue at hand.

I don't mean that to be offensive, but until you've seen the problems minorities face in the States first-hand, you really don't know what you're talking about.
That's crap.
You don't have to experience something to have a good understanding of it.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 04:45 PM   #20
~~Auriel~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
I have to second that.
~~Auriel~~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 04:47 PM   #21
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
That's crap.
There's a vast difference between first and second hand knowledge.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:00 PM   #22
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
That's crap.
Helpmann obviously has no clue what he's talking about, so Joker's argument is valid. The most obvious explanation is that Helpmann neither understands nor cares to understand America (shown by his never actually using an American example to compare an American president).
Old 11-07-2008, 08:08 PM   #23
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_in_the_Pack
There's a vast difference between first and second hand knowledge.
I didn't contest that.
I said that you can have a good understanding of something without experiencing it.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 08:54 PM   #24
PortraitOfSanity

Quote:
I didn't contest that.
I said that you can have a good understanding of something without experiencing it.
Nah, I definitely think first hand knowledge is necessary in this argument. Helpmann is speaking from a completely ignorant position, acting as if he's knowledgeable about the subject, and it's starting to piss me off.
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 09:13 PM   #25
MegearaErotica

Quote:
Racism goes both ways.
Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you. If I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away.
-Monty Python and the Holy Grail
MegearaErotica is offline   Reply With Quote