Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 06-10-2009, 01:29 AM   #76
Godslayer Jillian

I like how she questions my authority on the subject as if that somehow validated hers.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:28 AM   #77
Solumina

Hey if you can't back up what you're saying then attack your opponents credibility, it seems to be a pretty common strategy, especially on the internet, though sadly there were a few people who employed it in my debate class, hopefully they learned better as they lost nearly all of their debates.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 01:02 PM   #78
Mauritia Mayer

As a history student, I have never heard 'gothic' being referred to as a time period. Like Solumina said, the middle ages are usually split into early, high, and late.

Black_Nyx, it doesn't matter how important gothic art and architecture were - the notion of a 'gothic time period' is simply not something I have ever come across historians using, so unless you want to start your own categorization of the middle ages it seems pretty silly to use it.

Felreaper...if you're not joking, I just don't know what to say.
Mauritia Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 03:47 PM   #79
Solumina

Well according to some historians there is a Gothic Period, but it is when the Goths (as in the Germanic tribes) were at the height of their power, but even so this has nothing to do with the Medieval Period and therefore not gothic architecture and/or art.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:27 PM   #80
Felreaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Nyx View Post
@Felreaper

Yeah, they didn't have Satanists in the Gothic Period. That's a modern convention.
I guess it wasn't labeled "satanist" then, but people have always dabbled in the occult.

And have none of you EVER heard of the Gothic Period? How? I've known about it for the greater part of my life! Oh well, I guess growing up in Hicksville, Pennsylvania doesn't yield the most valid harvest of knowledge.
Felreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:32 PM   #81
Felreaper

On the plus side, people are actually paying attention to one of my posts, a rarity here...
Old 06-12-2009, 06:37 PM   #82
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felreaper View Post
And have none of you EVER heard of the Gothic Period? How? I've known about it for the greater part of my life! Oh well, I guess growing up in Hicksville, Pennsylvania doesn't yield the most valid harvest of knowledge.
I'm confused at where you're trying to get with this.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:41 PM   #83
Felreaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian View Post
I'm confused at where you're trying to get with this.
I'm admitting the fact that I may be completely and utterly wrong, pardon me for being roundabout.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:24 PM   #84
Mauritia Mayer

Felreaper, I'm now geniunely curious about what the hell you are trying to talk about. Where and when was this "gothic period", why is it gloomy and dead, and how is satanism involved? My best guess is that you're coming up with some bastardized version of the Middle Ages, but do go on.
Mauritia Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 02:29 PM   #85
zerademark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felreaper View Post
I guess it wasn't labeled "satanist" then, but people have always dabbled in the occult.

I don't think there really is a gothic period Mr Reaper. I do know that in the Renaissance time, the buildings and art of the previous periods where considered "gothic" as in barbaric and so. Gothic literature got its setting of deserted erea's with a castle or church. Maybe you mean that Mr Raper?
3 It is not "You and me", instead it is "Me and you". At the same time "M" is capitalized.
zerademark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 02:43 PM   #86
zerademark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam Li Hua View Post
When I was younger, I used to try and "help" people with their personal problems. As a result, I got far too deeply involved in some very intense situations, the most dramatic of which had to do with physically taking a knife from a girl who was prone to self-harm. After watching these people choose unhealthy lifestyles for themselves over and over again, I just don't have the desire to get deep with many people any more.
But then consider it this way: If you didn't take the knife, then that girl would've harmed herself and maybe even got killed. Aren't you glad that you had the chance to save her? My best friend has the same problem, except that me and her boyfriend are the only things keeping her from slitting her wrists.

-Zerachiel de Mark-
3 It is not "You and me", instead it is "Me and you". At the same time "M" is capitalized.
zerademark is offline   Reply With Quote