Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:14 AM   #1
carakitty

Not Our Usual Hallow's Eve Attire

So, my 6 year old has decided this year for Halloween she wants to be Cinderella. I asked her what I should be, keeping with the Disney theme (yet still with possibilities to keep closer to my dark-ish style) and suggested Snow White, or the Cheshire Cat, or the old hag with the apple.

She wants me to be the Fairy Godmother.

I looked at pictures of the GMs from the animated movies and gagged on my coffee.

Bitched on FB and a friend said I should be the Fairy GOTHmother. Why couldn't I think of that?

So now I'm looking for suggestions on how to put this outfit together. How to do the hair and make up. Will not cease the www image browsing, but would love to hear what you've done for this if you've done it before! Thanks *smooch*
Old 09-04-2010, 10:13 PM   #2
Storm

Maybe for the outfit you could wear a black tutu and some kind of corset or halter, and a black cape. For your hair, maybe a bun with a black rose on it?
Sorry if this sounds idea retarded. >.<
Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 03:52 PM   #3
gothicusmaximus

Alternatively, you could not selfishly refuse to indulge your 6-year-old child on fucking Halloween.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:39 PM   #4
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus View Post
Alternatively, you could not selfishly refuse to indulge your 6-year-old child on fucking Halloween.
One thousand times this, being goth doesn't have to permeate every fibre of your existence like some horrible degenerative disease. It's like when people ask about how they can go to work and maintain their goth sensibilities. Just get over yourself.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:49 PM   #5
carakitty

Storm- I have a short 'do now, so the bun is a no go but I like the idea of a black rose hair clip. It is looking like I have more things on hand to do a star-centered theme though.

GM, I'm not refusing my daughter. She gets to be the all out traditional Cinderella. Are you trying to be an asshole to me? Spending an unexpected 2K on car repairs over this summer is cutting into our holiday fun budget big time. If we could afford to get me a whole new costume this year too we would. Should I have mentioned that in my original post?
Old 09-05-2010, 05:20 PM   #6
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by carakitty View Post
Spending an unexpected 2K on car repairs over this summer is cutting into our holiday fun budget big time. If we could afford to get me a whole new costume this year too we would. Should I have mentioned that in my original post?
That's a totally different reason to the one that you gave in the first post. Besides, dressing up as the fairy godmother wouldn't cost you hundreds of dollars.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:23 PM   #7
Sephiroth Kali

I think gothicusmaximus and JCC need to shut the fuck up.

Carla, I think this is a great opportunity to connect with your daughter, and have her connect with you and your lifestyle.
Sephiroth Kali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:52 PM   #8
Technowitch

Actually, I think GM and JCC have a point (though they probably could have phrased it a bit more delicately). The little girl in question is a little girl--she's not thinking about being dark and spooky and tragically misunderstood. Nor is she fiendishly plotting to get carakitty into some candy-colored frill-fest in the hopes that mommy dearest will abandon her gothy ways. She's just thinking of a fun Halloween theme that she can do with her mom. It's one night, and probably not even for the entire evening, out of 365 nights. That's 364 nights CK can dress head to toe in black and adorn herself with all the bat and skull accessories she wants. I don't think that wearing a powder blue robe and hooded capelet for one night is going to be the end of the world.

That said, McCall's has cheap and extremely easy to sew Halloween patterns available at fabric stores and Wally Worlds like...everywhere. You could probably find some affordable fabric and construct your own Fairy Godmother costume.
Technowitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:53 AM   #9
KontanKarite

Your daughter wants you to be the fairy Godmother. You know, like from the movie. You dig? The blue one with the white lace and the diamond trims. I think she may have even had yellow wings.

For your daughter, I would look AS CLOSE to the original Disney depiction of the Godmother as possible. That means sacking your precious black nail polish for a night.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:08 AM   #10
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
GM, I'm not refusing my daughter. She gets to be the all out traditional Cinderella. Are you trying to be an asshole to me? Spending an unexpected 2K on car repairs over this summer is cutting into our holiday fun budget big time. If we could afford to get me a whole new costume this year too we would. Should I have mentioned that in my original post?
Yes, I'd say you should have mentioned your financial concerns in your original post, but, more importantly, you shouldn't have made your outrageously juvenile, inconsiderate attitude so abundantly clear in your original post. You petitioned heavily for permission to dress up as more gawffick disney character, but your uncompromising 6-year-old insisted that your costume compliment hers. The NERVE on that little bitch! You thought you'd raised her better than to hinder your enjoyment of Trick-or-Treating. You actually cop to 'bitching' about it on facebook (E.g. "Cara Kitty has to dress up as the fairy godmother this Halloween to accommodate her six-year-old, I'm gagging on my coffee, life is so unfair").

You plainly are refusing your daughter, and any failure to perceive that you're refusing your daughter is accountable only to self-delusion. As Kontan said, she wants you to be a fairy godmother-- not "the fairy godmother with a dark twist", the fucking fairy godmother. Cinderella doesn't roll with some miserable, hairspray-soaked, foundation-caked sack of crap, she rolls with a beneficent patron from tir na nog or whatever, and your daughter will probably be disappointed if your infantile refusal to let goth go for one fucking day should interfere in that. She might not seem upset, but she probably will be. In the simplest terms, it's a GROUP COSTUME, and you are fucking it up.

As Technowitch said, you can easily get a Fairy Godmother costume on the cheap. Stop fabricating excuses and act like an adult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth Kali
Carla, I think this is a great opportunity to connect with your daughter, and have her connect with you and your lifestyle.
You know, I always thought I would be an awful father, but after reading this fucking thread, I'm starting to think I should be on Supernanny.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:54 AM   #11
KontanKarite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth Kali View Post
I think gothicusmaximus and JCC need to shut the fuck up.

Lifestyle...

Goth has no lifestyle. Unless you mean the behaviors and acts of what is commonly practiced by the goth scenesters. BDSM. Paganism. Morbid imagery. Celebrations of a perceived to be tortured artist. Mysticism.

Tell me. Out of all that, what the fuck in the goth scene is worth letting a kid connect with? NEWS FLASH: Every child from every walk of life enjoys Halloween. You don't have to be a god damned goth for your kid to like it.

Fuck the goth culture and FUCK what you think you know about it. That shit isn't really for kids. But it IS for adult children.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:20 PM   #12
Alan

Quote:
Spending an unexpected 2K on car repairs over this summer is cutting into our holiday fun budget big time. If we could afford to get me a whole new costume this year too we would. Should I have mentioned that in my original post?
Coming up with a fairy godmother costume is definitely cheaper than coming up with a 'fairy GOTHmother costume' unless you're just making up an excuse to dress as you dress daily, which is even worse.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:49 PM   #13
Sinjob

I hope you know you're no different from the grown-up Jersey girl moms who infest our beautiful Northeast in their constant brags and nags about their rugrats as if they've JUST HAD children.

Or the trailer trash Dolly Parton-wannabe moms who make Glatus Sue and Bobby Dee fuck and marry in respect to the family tradition.

Don't even get me started on where I live, near Disneyworld, holding the annual 'make your daughter a princess' gimmick.

If this is the kind of subjectivity you wanna raise a kid under, keep it at one kid. Please.

EDIT
----
You love Halloween so much this thread is a addressed in its correct origin and (not to mention) a month early! WOOHOO
Sinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:59 PM   #14
carakitty

Wow, I'm really getting my ass handed to me here.
I was posting in the heat of the moment again and apparently it showed.

Just now sat down with my daughter and asked her point blank how she wanted me to dress and clarified the details and I shall be putting together my best effort at the traditional Disney Fairy Godmother. And hopefully we won't be shivering all night either.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:41 PM   #15
Saya

Its cool that you let your kid pick your costume, though! When I was very little Mom alternated her nun and niqab costumes for a few years. And every year I was scared shitless.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:33 PM   #16
ape descendant

I think it says a lot about how she feels about you... she's Cinderella... you're the Fairy Godmother... who is the benevolent awesome person who loves and helps her.

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:55 PM   #17
gothicusmaximus

I think this is the first time gothic.net has ever accomplished something actually positive.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:12 PM   #18
KontanKarite

Now THAT'S cool. Who said flaming others was so bad?

Old 09-09-2010, 07:35 PM   #19
carakitty

I certainly don't think flaming is always bad.
In the case of this thread I actually appreciated it.
I was indeed being selfish, juvenile and inconsiderate of my daughter's feelings with out her even realizing it.
The kick in the teeth dished out did me well. Thanks guys.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:02 PM   #20
KontanKarite

I'm always happy to dish out internet teeth kickings.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:25 PM   #21
Raza

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
One thousand times this, being goth doesn't have to permeate every fibre of your existence like some horrible degenerative disease. It's like when people ask about how they can go to work and maintain their goth sensibilities. Just get over yourself.
This seems unambitious, and proud of it. Reflexively 'getting over yourself' and falling in line at the least amount of pressure is actually kind of pathetic. Taking things like gothic aesthetic sensibilities out of their familiar context in saturday night club events and highschool mall raids is actually far more admirable than restricting them to where they are clearly accepted, if you ask me.

Iunno, there's multiple things to consider. The wish of a 6 year old is hardly the demand of an oppressive order, and rebelling against it through creative reinterpretation isn't as warranted as it would be with, say, a school uniform. Just indulging it would be a nice thing to do. But I know I wouldn't give up freedom of choice over my own halloween look lightly, and teaching a child to be happy when someone works with what you like without doing exactly what you ask from them is also very much a good thing. Just try to settle on something that you both like.
Raza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:16 PM   #22
Hydrodyssodia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
Its cool that you let your kid pick your costume, though! When I was very little Mom alternated her nun and niqab costumes for a few years. And every year I was scared shitless.
This is ten degrees of awesome.
Hydrodyssodia is offline   Reply With Quote