Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

View Poll Results: Who will/would you vote for?
Bush 14 22.95%
Kerry 47 77.05%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-27-2006, 02:56 AM   #501
CptSternn

From the cover of Rolling Stone, quite possibly the best article they ever wrote. Well worth the long read. I would post it here, but it's quite lengthy.

The Worst President in History

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/pro...ion=6.0.8.1024

George W. Bush's presidency appears headed for colossal historical disgrace. Barring a cataclysmic event on the order of the terrorist attacks of September 11th, after which the public might rally around the White House once again, there seems to be little the administration can do to avoid being ranked on the lowest tier of U.S. presidents. And that may be the best-case scenario. Many historians are now wondering whether Bush, in fact, will be remembered as the very worst president in all of American history.

*snip*

'Nuff said.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 01:08 PM   #502
Ben Lahnger

Stephen Colbert at the White House Corrospondent's Dinner

I didn't know where to put this, so I'm posting it here ... since it mostly concerns President Bush. Below is an excerpt from Stephen Colbert's comments at the recent White House Corrospondent's Dinner.

Watch it. It is brilliant, brutal and amazing. (excerpt below the links)

http://www.crooksandliars.com/2006/04/29.html#a8104

the links on youtube.com:
Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/v/lcIRXur61II

Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/v/HN0INDOkFuo

Part 3 http://www.youtube.com/v/rJvar7BKwvQ

or see the full thing here in flash or WMV:
part 1
http://video.freevideoblog.com/video...6CBD83E27F.htm
part 2
http://video.freevideoblog.com/video...2BC77DF696.htm

transcript, more links:
http://dailykos.com/storyonly/2006/4/30/1441/59811

... Now, I know there's some polls out there saying this man has a 32% approval rating. But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in "reality." And reality has a well-known liberal bias.

So, Mr. President, pay no attention to the people that say the glass is half full. 32% means the glass -- it's important to set up your jokes properly, sir. Sir pay no attention to the people who say the glass is half empty, because 32% means it's 2/3 empty. There's still some liquid in that glass is my point, but I wouldn't drink it. The last third is usually backwash.

Folks, my point is that I don't believe this is a low point in this presidency.

So don't pay attention to the approval ratings that say 68% of Americans disapprove of the job this man is doing. I ask you this, does that not also logically mean that 68% approve of the job he's not doing? Think about it. I haven't.

I stand by this man. I stand by this man because he stands for things. Not only for things, he stands on things. Things like aircraft carriers and rubble and recently flooded city squares. And that sends a strong message, that no matter what happens to America, she will always rebound with the most powerfully staged photo ops in the world.

Now, there may be an energy crisis. This president has a very forward-thinking energy policy. Why do you think he's down on the ranch cutting that brush all the time? He's trying to create an alternative energy source. By 2008 we will have a mesquite powered car.

The greatest thing about this man is he's steady. You know where he stands. He believes the same thing Wednesday, that he believed on Monday, no matter what happened Tuesday. Events can change, this man's beliefs never will.

And as excited as I am to be here with the president, I am appalled to be surrounded by the liberal media that is destroying America, with the exception of Fox News. Fox News gives you both sides of every story, the President's side and the Vice President's side.

But the rest of you, what are you thinking, reporting on N.S.A. wiretapping or secret prisons in Eastern Europe? Those things are secret for a very important reason, they're superdepressing. And if that's your goal, well, misery accomplished.

Over the last five years you people were so good over tax cuts, W.M.D. intelligence, the affect of global warming. We Americans didn't want to know, and you had the courtesy not to try to find out. Those were good times, as far as we knew.

But, listen, let's review the rules. Here's how it works. The President makes decisions, he's the decider. The Press Secretary announces those decisions, and you people of the press type those decisions down. Make, announce, type. Put them through a spell check and go home.

Get to know your family again. Make love to your wife. Write that novel you got kicking around in your head. You know, the one about the intrepid Washington reporter with the courage to stand up to the administration. You know, fiction.

Jesse Jackson is here. I had him on the show. Very interesting and challenging interview. You can ask him anything, but he's going to say what he wants at the pace that he wants. It's like boxing a glacier.

Enjoy that metaphor, because your grandchildren will have no idea what a glacier is.

Mayor Nagin is here from New Orleans, the chocolate city. Yeah, give it up. Mayor Nagin, I would like to welcome you to Washington, D.C., The chocolate city with a marshmallow center. And a graham cracker crust of corruption. It's a mallomar is what I'm describing, a seasonal cookie.

Joe Wilson is here, the most famous husband since Desi Arnez. And of course he brought along his lovely wife Valerie Plame. Oh, my god! Oh, what have I said. I am sorry, Mr. President, I meant to say he brought along his lovely wife, Joe Wilson's wife. Pat Fitzgerald is not here tonight? Dodged a bullet.

And we can't forget man of the hour, new Press Secretary, Tony Snow. Secret service name, Snow Job. What a hero, took the second toughest job in government, next to, of course, the ambassador to Iraq. Got some big shoes to fill, Tony. Scott McClellan could say nothing like nobody else.

McClellan, eager to retire. Really felt like he needed to spend more time with Andrew Card's children.

Mr. President, I wish you hadn't made the decision so quickly, sir. I was vying for the job. I think I would have made a fabulous press secretary. I have nothing but contempt for these people. I know how to handle these clowns. In fact, sir, I brought along an audition tape and with your indulgence, I'd like to at least give it a shot. So, ladies and gentlemen, my press conference. "

(Note: A video section followed with Colbert sparring with reporters and eventually running away from journalist Helen Thomas. It's included in the Crooks and Liars link above.)

He'll almost certainly never get invited back, but for my money it was worth it. At least once in recent memory in Washington, DC ... somebody had the temerity to speak the truth. And be damded funny doing it! Watch or read the whole thing ... it is SOOOO worth your time!

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 03:22 PM   #503
torirex

in my opinion i believe both presidents are idiots! one is a what do u call people who are to full of themselves? and the other is a moron who doesn't know when to quit a war!!! So are nation i believe is in a down spiral!
torirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 04:07 PM   #504
Godslayer Jillian

I actually found this one to be the only post of hers I didn't understand.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 05:53 AM   #505
NachtSorcier

There is never any point in voting for a Green Party candidate; they always end up with like 13% of the votes.

If I had turned 18 one month sooner, I would have voted for Kerry. I know Kerry wasn't the greatest candidate ever, but he was the best we had.

I thought it was disgusting how Bush used scare tactics to get votes (making people think that Terrorists were hiding behind every trashcan on the street, etc.). I hope the next time the Russians attempt to assassinate him they'll use a fucking grenade that works!

Visit my online store: http://www.websofsilver.com
NachtSorcier is offline   Reply With Quote