Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 05-31-2007, 04:30 PM   #1
Splintered

Temporary Changes

So this summer I'm going to be getting a bit more freedom in how I dress (I.E. the people who judge my clothes won't be the ones paying the rent [I.E. I'm not going to be with my parents over the summer]).

With that, I'm thinking that I'll use this newfound freedom to try a bunch of different things. The only problem is; I don't really want to jump into this too quickly. I'm just looking for really temporary things that I can try out (read "lasts less than a month") to alter my appearance to see how I like them.

Ideally, I'd like to get three lip rings, my hair dyed green/blue, and do DIY modifications to my clothes. Are there any ways I can try these stuff out, before I go punching holes in my body, and ripping holes in my clothes?
Old 05-31-2007, 04:42 PM   #2
Minyaliel

For the hair, try a wig. For the DIY stuff, get some inexpensive second hand clothes and go crazy. Can't help you with the piercings, though...
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 05:00 PM   #3
Splintered

In the area I'm going to be living at, if I remember right, has a few thrift stores, so getting cheap second hand clothes shouldn't be a problem.

Are wigs uncomfortable, and can they do specific hairstyles? (For example, spiked hair).
Old 06-01-2007, 12:39 AM   #4
Saphyra Runa

They do make fake lip rings. You can try some place in the mall that carries costume jewlery. Or buy a lip ring and hook it over your lip.

Your hair you can use spray in hair color.

Pardon the unfinishedness of it all
Saphyra Runa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 02:48 AM   #5
Heatherzilla

Thrift store are awesome. And the hair thing is easy, you can just get a wig or some falls. Check out some of the stuff here for ideas. The do make fake piercing jewelery but it actually hurts more than getting an actual piercing.
Heatherzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 07:59 AM   #6
Vyvian Blackthorne

Good wigs that look best on yourself are good, as for the confort leave them on for as long as one is able to bear, that way you wont feel like a hot-head literally LAWLS. As for the hairstyles on them, yes they can, but the hair should be thick.
Goth Forever
Old 06-03-2007, 03:52 PM   #7
Minyaliel

Wigs can be pretty uncomfortable; you'll need to pin up your actual hair really tight (this usually hurts) and then secure it with some old stockings or something. And they're warm. I've worn wigs on stage, and even though it's pretty awkward the first times, you get used to them (and the added warmth) pretty quickly.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 04:36 PM   #8
chelseagirl

Splintered: I agree with Minyaliel, wigs are EXTREMELY uncomfortable IMO. Depending on what type of hair cut you have, you could perhaps consider clip in streaks of color, or even falls (which are sooo much more comfy than wearing a wig). If you hair cut allows for it, clip in bangs/fringe in different colors are really fun too.

With the lip piercings, you can buy those faux rings, or you could also just take a CBR and remove the bead and slip it over your lip. I really wouldn't advise it thought, because fake lip rings are pretty easy to spot.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:57 PM   #9
Splintered

Yeah. I don't want to look too cheesy. I just want to get used to wearing one around. I'm one of those, "Try before you buy" type of people (I took me a year before decided to invest money in paintball), so I'd like to see if it doesn't wear out within a couple of weeks.

My hairstyle is pretty curly, messy, and won't stay straight unless I use an extreme amount of gel. It's about 3 inches long, but I plan to grow it out during the summer. Ideally, I'd like to get longer hair, at least to the point of covering my ears. How would I go about finding whether the clip in stuff would work well with my kind of hair? More so, I am an idiot in issues that come to beauty and fashion, how hard are they to do by yourself?