Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 05-17-2007, 02:45 PM   #1
Minyaliel

Guitar

Right, I know I'm not the only one who plays the guitar here - uh, correction: trying to learn how to play the guitar. My mother and a close friend of hers bought me a nice acoustic with a very nice sound to it - so that's what I'm trying to learn how to play on. What about you?

Oh, and, anyone got any advice for a newbie? I'm trying to work my way through this book called "Mastering the Guitar" (only on part 1A yet, but then I've only concentrated on chords and strumming patterns until now). Anyone got any suggestions on easy-to-play tabs or something? Preferably printed, because online tabs never fail to confuse me.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 05:50 PM   #2
Beowulf

Smile

Another good book which I think is essential is ...

The Guitar Handbook by Ralph Denyer

This book has everything you will need to know about playing the guitar, and I thoroughly reccomend it !!!.

I`ve been playing (guitar and later bass) since i was a teenager and I got this book when I was a music student and it has been so helpful, and a useful guide on not only playing the guitar, but the history of the instrument, and the people who innovated the guitar as we know and hear it today. It also has everything you need to know on how to take care and maintain your instrument, and how they work, and even how to record and write your own music !!!.

One thing I was wondering is, what style of music do you want to play, because there are some really good book and software packages that can help you learn your instrument !!!.

Good luck with your new guitar !!!.
live the gods of yesterday.

Be excellent to one another !!!.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 06:53 AM   #3
IsolatedReptile

To be perfectly honest, I just have a giant book of chords that I like to try to teach myself to play, and I just decide what works and what doesn't based on how it sounds. All of the books that "teach" me guitar have only irritated me, so I just fool around with it until I find something that works well. I've even learned how to play a couple of sixties and seventies songs by accident.

My recomendation if you can figure out what chords work together and what don't is just to buy a book of chords and scales and work off of that.
IsolatedReptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 09:05 AM   #4
Minyaliel

I have been dabbling a bit with classical guitar, but also accompanying (sp?) myself when I sing, so it's mainly just a bit of this and a bit of that... What I'm currently most fascinated by is playing melody lines and that kind of thing. Oh, and for software, I'm using Linux, so if it's made for Windows it needs to be really good if I'm to be arsed to try and run it through some kind of emulator... doing this on a cd has always turned out to be a major headache, in my experience. That book you recommended sounds great, I'll save up for that one.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Old 05-19-2007, 09:37 AM   #5
Draconysius

I play (electric) guitar, and I'm here to tell you that tabs can not only be a good way to get familiar with notes, but they can also be really fun and simple to learn. They way you read a tab is:

There are going to be six lines here, each one representing a string. 1 representing the bottom, lowest-toned string, and 6 representing the top, highest-toned string. There are going to be numbers on each line, that tells you which string to use (0 indicates an open note, no fingers on the fret when you pick that string). The numbers themselves tell you which FRET you need to place your finger on. Simple enough?
6---------------------------------9----------------
5-----------------------------8--------------------
4---------------------------7---7------------------
3-------------2-----------5------------------------
2-------3--3-----3-----4---------------------------
1-0--0--------------4------------------------------
No matter which string you start out on, the notes will always be arranged in this order, from left to right. The chart will give you a brief idea.
If you need any more help, please ask.

Tabs can be tons of help, but it's also good to try and figure out songs on your own. I've figure out several of them fairly well, although sometimes it took me a while.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 01:15 PM   #6
Minyaliel

Drac - thanks for explaining =) I do know notes, I've played the flute for 12 years; I guess that is why I get so confused with tabs, especially on the internet - they don't show the rhythmic movement, so I'll not know how to play the song correctly. I guess I'm too dependent on sheet music...
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Old 05-19-2007, 03:26 PM   #7
CountSixstring

I'm an AVID guitarist *points at name*. And I can tell you a good bit my friend. Find out what style you want to play and try that. Also, find songs that you like and learn them. It may be very hard at first, but it gets less complicated as you continue. If you want to master the guitar as you say, you definately have to branch far outside of Gothic music. Goth music tends to ge too drony and the guitar lines start to sound the same, btu i guess that comes from punk. A lot of these bands that are considered "poseur" are actually great in the realm of guitar. Jade from A.F.I. can shred till the days end but he prefers not to because he thinks it takes away from everything else. My Chem has some good stuff as far as axeslinging goes too. People in the goth community disown these bands because they supposedly sold out. They didn't sell out, but I'm not here to talk about that. Here are some good tracks to listen to.

Little Wing by Jimi hendrix
Dazed and Confused by Led Zeppelin
Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd
Fade to Black by Metallica
Just like heaven by the Cure

Check out some classic stuff. When the virtuosity of otherwise is fued with the songwriting of goth rock, it's beautiful. Normally the guitar tends to be the centerpiece.
CountSixstring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 03:32 PM   #8
Vyvian Blackthorne

Good goth...I wish I could play teh guitar . All I can do with music is imatate Andi Sexgang's voice with a dark felsetto

Goth Forever
Old 05-19-2007, 07:51 PM   #9
7734¯7IA3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minyaliel
Right, I know I'm not the only one who plays the guitar here - uh, correction: trying to learn how to play the guitar. My mother and a close friend of hers bought me a nice acoustic with a very nice sound to it - so that's what I'm trying to learn how to play on. What about you?

Oh, and, anyone got any advice for a newbie? I'm trying to work my way through this book called "Mastering the Guitar" (only on part 1A yet, but then I've only concentrated on chords and strumming patterns until now). Anyone got any suggestions on easy-to-play tabs or something? Preferably printed, because online tabs never fail to confuse me.
Please start with Alfred's basic guitar method. Books 1, 2 and 3. After you've mastered those, go on to the Berklee series books 1, 2, and 3. for advanced players. Depending on your goals, you will need some one who is well versed in both playing AND theory - it is very hard to find such people - my self excepted of course! I know both theory and advanced level playing...something you can only expect from a male dominated guitar teacher...(T.Dot area.) PM me if interested...
7734¯7IA3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 08:27 PM   #10
Minyaliel

Hmm, not to sound arrogant or anything, but seeing from your intro that you're about my age and claiming to be a master guitarist... I think I'll stick to my 50+ years players whom I know. I'm a European anyway, and have no plans of going to any part of the American continent the next few years. So, thanks but no thanks.

I feel like I should flame you for the "male dominated" comment, but after spending an hour watching the sun rise, I feel too calm and collected to do so. I'm a female, and I've been taught my share of advanced music theory through my years of studying music, and I've had great grades in these specific classes (and all the other music related ones) throughout the years. I had one male teacher and one female teacher who both taught my class and myself everything we'd ever need to know about music theory and composition, aswell as training us to really hear the music (as in writing it down on blank sheets from CD's and that kind of thing). I know this isn't really relevant for this thread, but I want you to know that there is no difference between female teachers and male teachers in this aspect.

Do you have any links for the books (?) you recommended? I don't know any of them, and knowing music stores in my city it's highly unlikely that I can find it here.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Old 05-19-2007, 09:51 PM   #11
7734¯7IA3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minyaliel
Hmm, not to sound arrogant or anything, but seeing from your intro that you're about my age and claiming to be a master guitarist... I think I'll stick to my 50+ years players whom I know. I'm a European anyway, and have no plans of going to any part of the American continent the next few years. So, thanks but no thanks.

I feel like I should flame you for the "male dominated" comment, but after spending an hour watching the sun rise, I feel too calm and collected to do so. I'm a female, and I've been taught my share of advanced music theory through my years of studying music, and I've had great grades in these specific classes (and all the other music related ones) throughout the years. I had one male teacher and one female teacher who both taught my class and myself everything we'd ever need to know about music theory and composition, aswell as training us to really hear the music (as in writing it down on blank sheets from CD's and that kind of thing). I know this isn't really relevant for this thread, but I want you to know that there is no difference between female teachers and male teachers in this aspect.

Do you have any links for the books (?) you recommended? I don't know any of them, and knowing music stores in my city it's highly unlikely that I can find it here.

I agree, there is no difference in male and female teachers. I was referring to artists.

Please! I am not a woman hater! This statement was part of my rebuttal that I was denied by the stupid assed board moderators in my intro! but please PM me if you want more info.
Old 05-19-2007, 10:16 PM   #12
Cen0bite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7734¯7IA3
After you've mastered those, go on to the Berklee series books 1, 2, and 3. for advanced players. Depending on your goals, you will need some one who is well versed in both playing AND theory - it is very hard to find such people - my self excepted of course! I know both theory and advanced level playing...something you can only expect from a male dominated guitar teacher...(T.Dot area.) PM me if interested...
The Berklee series books are amazing! I would definitely recommend them. I've been playing for almost 4 years now and I have to say, you really need to know your theory. Heck, I still get confused from time to time.

And excuse me, but I don't think gender is a factor when it comes to teaching. Skill is a factor. And so is experience, and age (sometimes, but not always) But to say that only a male can be expected to know theory and advanced level playing? That is absolute crap. I get private lessons, yes, from a male, but I've played things that his male and female students combined cannot play. And he has a lot, and all from different musical backgrounds.

Pinhead: What you think of as pain is a shadow. Pain has a face. Allow me to show it to you. Gentlemen, I... Am... Pain
-Hellraiser:Bloodline
Cen0bite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 10:50 PM   #13
7734¯7IA3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cen0bite
But to say that only a male can be expected to know theory and advanced level playing? That is absolute crap.

I argree, but the board moderators would not let me explain my beliefs fully in my intro

Perhaps you should stay tuned to that thread...if you want to see how the gothic .net board is truly run ...
Old 05-20-2007, 10:11 AM   #14
Elliot

I can only dabble on guitar, but tabs work really well.

Additionally, look for some DVDs of your favorite mainstream players giving instructions.

Yngwie Malmsteen has a DVD, so see if you can get.

I don't like his music, but if you watching his instruction, it will build your understanding of music theory and technique for writing music. Of course, if you love playing solely arpeggios, this will also help you.

But really. If you're looking more into playing technique, not notes, go with that.

^^my post-rock/ambient band
Elliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 12:57 PM   #15
Beowulf

Cool

Minyaliel,

I got this video for my brother when he was learning how to play, and he found it really useful, and you can play the exercises on the video with your acoustic too !!!.

MARTY FRIEDMAN - Electric Guitar Day One which is ideal for anyone starting out on guitar ....

`In this video for beginners, he gives you everything you need to get started! He covers parts of the guitar, strings and picks, tuning, amp settings, effects and pedals, practice and performance tips, chords & scales, how to play solos, lead patterns, and much more! Includes an insert. 90+ minutes `

You should be able to order this from your local music shop, or Amazon.com !!!.

I also reccomend ...

John Petrucci - Rock Discipline

Again this DVD is fantastic, it starts with warm up exercises for your hands to warm up before playing, and moves on to playing exercises for both your fretting hand and picking hand. The video also covers scales, alternate picking, and chord progressions and composition. He also covers how to make the most of your practice time, and playing in a band !!!.

I hope this helps !!!.
live the gods of yesterday.

Be excellent to one another !!!.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 04:03 PM   #16
St._Exmin

Books, lessons and videos are all good, but there's no substitute for the time you spend playing. More often than not, that's when the great discoveries happen.

The more you play, the more the relationships between the notes on the fretboard become clear, and soon you'll be able to play things by ear without any need for tabs. Your ear is the most important tool in learning to play; the only sure way to get your fingers to do what they're supposed to is to spend a lot of time playing.

It sounds like your background gives you a good head start with guitar. I never bothered to learn any theory, but I think that if I had, I would have progressed more quickly than I did. Good luck!
St._Exmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 06:12 AM   #17
Aaroneet

I know that this thread's getting old, but I played guitar for four years, and thought that I could be of help. Either learn how to play traditional music (i.e read musical notes), or simply concentrate on learning to strum chords. I've never been good with online tabs, but my brother's a whiz with them. Then again, he's better at math. Learn the basics before you try to play melody.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:00 AM   #18
Minyaliel

Hey, thanks. I've been accompanying myself (strumming, some arpeggio) for a few years now (admittedly not too regularly, but I'm not too bad), so I thought it might be time to try to move on, kind of.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Old 06-06-2007, 01:27 PM   #19
Aaroneet

Sorry, I thought that this was your first year. Give melodies a shot, if you haven't already. Try traditional notes, if you can read music, or find the tabs that you can most easily understand.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:50 AM   #20
Minyaliel

Thanks =)

(message too short.... )
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Old 07-12-2007, 10:04 AM   #21
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Is there a website somewhere for which someone can post the link, that has online guitar chords for music, like Pictures of You (The Cure)?

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:05 AM   #22
Crying_Crimson_Tears

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/

My boyfriend and my brother swear by this site.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:18 AM   #23
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crying_Crimson_Tears
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/

My boyfriend and my brother swear by this site.
Awesome! Thanks Crimson, I owe ya one.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:15 AM   #24
Valrys

Also, try out www.911tabs.com
Its filled with annoying ads, but it searches many internet based tab sites so you don't ned to go scrambling round. It also searches that ultimate guitar website, which I also find to be quite excellent, although I mainly use Guitar Pro 5 Tabs (a Nice piece of software)
Valrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:40 AM   #25
Tha Duckman

I learned by making the guitar make the same sounds as a song I wanted to learn. I never took a lesson in any of the instruments I play. Music is easy, it just takes practice. Don't do it until you get bored of it, do it in between doing other things, other wise you'll wear down the interest.
Tha Duckman is offline   Reply With Quote