Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 06-24-2007, 08:48 PM   #1
Draconysius

Wall of Voodoo

A friend of mine let me listen to some Wall of Voodoo recently, and much to my surprise, they sound VERY goth. 0.0 Already I've heard echoes of Ausgang, UK Decay, and even Virgin Prunes. The album "Dark Continent" is where I first heard these similarities. Listen to tracks one and two, "Red Light" and "Two Minutes Til' Lunch" for the best example of a gothic sound.

By the way, they're the band that recorded the hit single "Mexican Radio", but don't judge them on that song. They do a lot of different things, but... To sum it all up, give em a go. You won't be disappointed.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 09:11 PM   #2
Vyvian Blackthorne

Good goth...I just tottally ''fuken'' love this band. For some reason they remind me of your typical 80s New Wave group-gothed up. Ring of Fire is my favourite of theirs. Really I love them. On a side note, it's good to see your current success, Ed. And, I just ordered If I die, I die...And should be in by tommorrow (Rush Delivery, last in stock)

Goth Forever
Old 06-25-2007, 06:04 AM   #3
Aaroneet

I just downloaded the album, "The Index Masters". So far, they sound great. Exactly the type of sound I'm looking for.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:41 AM   #4
Tea_and_Waxfruit

Could any one recommend good album for me? After 'mexican radio' they seemed to disapear off the face of the planet X_x
Tea_and_Waxfruit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 06:01 PM   #5
MIRON

Great "new wave", "post-punk" group. Their first 3 releases are all great, "The Index Masters", "Dark Continent", "Call of the West". Songs like "Ring of Fire", "Back in Flesh", "Call of the West"... are classics. The end of "Ring of Fire" reminds me of the old movie "The Ghost and Mr. Chicken" for some reason.
MIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 08:25 PM   #6
MollyMac

They are an inspiration to Johnette Napolitiano, and Andy Prieboy wrote "Tomorrow Wendy" as covered on Concrete Blonde's "Bloodletting"
Old 08-07-2007, 12:21 PM   #7
delicti

"Mexican Radio" was still a good song. :-) It's good to see an IRS band get posted in here; IRS was started as an American response to 4AD, and even though they put out albums by The Cramps and The Bolshoi, they still don't get the credit they deserve.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:13 PM   #8
St._Exmin

You're talking about the stuff they did after their first singer left, right? I'm going to have to look for some; I don't remember thinking much of it at the time, but my tastes have changed a lot since then.

Call of the West is a darn good album, BTW. The song 'They Don't Want Me' is my favorite by them.
St._Exmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 05:10 AM   #9
MollyMac

I still love the whole Roxy music era; lump them in with Concrete Blone, Mid-Ramones and early Social Distortion... hoo-rah!
Old 08-08-2007, 09:10 AM   #10
MIRON

Quote:
Originally Posted by St._Exmin
You're talking about the stuff they did after their first singer left, right?
I really dislike the stuff they did during the period when Stan Ridgeway left the band. The first 3 releases with him are great, the 3 they did after he left with Andy Prieboy sound like a totally different band. They really should have changed their name.

WALL OF VOODOO was NERVOUS GENDER for quite awhile.
MIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 12:28 PM   #11
DeathChii

Amazing band, I just got in to them recentley but I know what you mean =P
From trashing this way and that
Its white tusks
Through human beings
Like crackling stalks
And to nothing less
I offer this suffering of my father
"The Offering" - Stan Rice
DeathChii is offline   Reply With Quote