Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 06-09-2007, 10:18 AM   #1
Valerius

Global Balance of Power

As we all know that when the Soviet Union collapsed in the late 80s, it left a geopolitical vacuum that gave the United States the responsibility of being the sole superpower thereafter. Some would even go so far as to suggest that the United States has become the world's sole hegemony insofar as pushing its weight around just to accomplish its objectives under its own terms, such as the use of blockades, trade imbargos, economic sanctions and vague threats of force against dissident countries. This has mostly been the trend even before the collapse of the Soviet Union, only to become more brazen after.

Recently, with Russia flush with money from its oil exports, ex-KGB and current Russian president Vladimir Putin has been on the verbal offensive against so-called 'western advances' against Russian influence as it rebuilds its armed forces and reconstitutes the alliances the former Soviet Union built before it collapsed. I'm sure plenty of you who've been following world politics know that Putin is slowly turning democratic Russia into a despotic country where political opposition are arrested and tortured, media turned into state-controlled puppets and private companies being siezed and turned into government-controlled organizations.

Russian youth have even been organized into something akin to 'Hitler Youth' with blessings from the Kremlin to protect the homeland against US imperialism.

Seeing signs that I have not stated here, Putin seems to be leading Russia straight into a warpath against the West, further escalated by threats of the Kremlin pointing nuclear warheads towards Allied countries in Europe. We seem to be heading into another repetition of the Cold War, so the question would be is it healthy to be in a world headed by one hegemony-like country, or would it be just as bad if it were under two or more countries with aggressive stances towards each other?

-Oscar Van den Boogaard, Dutch pacifist
Valerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 11:21 AM   #2
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
If it wasn't Russia, it would be China.

And the United States is not the only superpower. It was briefly, but now China and India are up on the stage now too.

There will always be a "cold war" in terms of nations spying on one another (even allies, Israel spies on the United States, it's biggest ally).

Even if one could erase national boundaries, the religious differences would cause conflict (India is one nation, but the Hindus and Sheiks are in contention within India).

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 05:34 PM   #3
Splintered

The thing is, even countries like the US have something akin to Hitler's Youth Corps. Here, it's called "Young Marines", "Civil Air Patrol", or "Sea Cadets". Not to be disrespectful to any of these organizations, but they all practice the same thing; they attempt to place military discipline into children.

I think two countries pointing missiles at each other can be a great thing (So long as, and the hope is, nobody is stupid enough to pull the trigger). This would prevent the United States, or any other superpower, from becoming too arrogant and taking on things that it can't handle. It forces the nation to check itself, and realize that if it's foreign policy pushes too far, there is someone willing to come back down and kick it's ass.

Ideally, I'd like to see no countries dominating. But I would far rather see two powerful countries afraid of each other, then one powerful country afraid of nothing.
Old 06-09-2007, 09:53 PM   #4
Valerius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splintered
The thing is, even countries like the US have something akin to Hitler's Youth Corps. Here, it's called "Young Marines", "Civil Air Patrol", or "Sea Cadets". Not to be disrespectful to any of these organizations, but they all practice the same thing; they attempt to place military discipline into children.
Yes, but are these organizations taught to be xenophobic, fascist and outrightly spiteful of anything the Kremlin says is a threat to 'democratic' Russia? Last I heard in Russia they were in the midst of clobbering an opposition rally of just a few hundred with a force of a few thousand riot police.

Quote:
I think two countries pointing missiles at each other can be a great thing (So long as, and the hope is, nobody is stupid enough to pull the trigger). This would prevent the United States, or any other superpower, from becoming too arrogant and taking on things that it can't handle. It forces the nation to check itself, and realize that if it's foreign policy pushes too far, there is someone willing to come back down and kick it's ass.
Yes, yes. Much in the same way the US has mobilized its forces taking down Afghanistan and Iraq. But really, is living a life under the blanket of fear really living at all? At the height of cold war tensions, both sides thought the other would be the aggressor and instigator in the imaginated conflict brought about by fear and suspicion.

Quote:
Ideally, I'd like to see no countries dominating. But I would far rather see two powerful countries afraid of each other, then one powerful country afraid of nothing.
Ideally. But think of the whole world has a really large tribe. Tribes all have leaders, and have their strongest dominating the rest of the clan, and once a rival comes up then we have trouble. Much more so with a madman like Putin on the head of 7,200 active nuclear weapons pointed at various locations around the world, and a moron like Bush holding the key to an active stockpile of 5,300 nuclear weapons, I'd like you to ask yourself, is it worth it?

-Oscar Van den Boogaard, Dutch pacifist
Valerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 10:58 PM   #5
dark_dragon_of_ice

I can see who's side your on XD.
dark_dragon_of_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 04:43 AM   #6
Don't Look Behind You

Location: a russian, vienna-educated, living in the Netherlands. beat that.
Quote:
But I would far rather see two powerful countries afraid of each other, then one powerful country afraid of nothing.
yes.

Although there is the danger of a war exploding if the two superpowers don't behave themselves we have the hope of both keeping in mind that there is someone to opose them and them thus thinking twice before taking a step. Having only one arrogant(and ignorant) superpower with way too much power for it to handle is more dangerous becuase this country will think much less before acting. It will just do what it wants like a spoiled child.

And now a bit off topic but I really don't think Putin is such a madman. He is keeping Russia in an iron grip, which is actually what Russia momentarily needs. Democracy can't be made in a country not yet ready for it. It will take time and I believe putin's bringing Russia to a better economical level will eventualy make Russia capable of developing a democracy. Right now it is not possible. Democracy is a luxus for those that have the money and time to think about human rights.
Yes, many fishy things go in Russia with the media end journalists being killed. knowing Russia though, I am not sure that the journalist killings all come from the government. Picking around in Tschechnia's business can make you many different enemies, for example.
The TV control is really rediculous, here I agree.

Also, I think the west fears Russia and thus so many negative views and exagerated facts. No country has a complete, subjectivity-free, and independant press and no country has an ideal democracy. Politics are corrupt.
--If you want to love me you'll have to love my shadow. This black creature that is stuck to my feet and that hates the light whithout which it wouldn't exist. Sometimes, I think it is more me than I am. Please be gentle as you make my shadow white.

-- On soft pillows you won't ride into eternity and spilling your blood you won't get out of eternity again.
Don't Look Behind You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 07:44 PM   #7
Splintered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerius
Yes, but are these organizations taught to be xenophobic, fascist and outrightly spiteful of anything the Kremlin says is a threat to 'democratic' Russia? Last I heard in Russia they were in the midst of clobbering an opposition rally of just a few hundred with a force of a few thousand riot police.
It depends on who you ask. Officially, no I wouldn't say any of those groups are. That's because they have rules and regulations against that.

From personal experience? That's heresay, but another story.

Quote:
Yes, yes. Much in the same way the US has mobilized its forces taking down Afghanistan and Iraq. But really, is living a life under the blanket of fear really living at all? At the height of cold war tensions, both sides thought the other would be the aggressor and instigator in the imaginated conflict brought about by fear and suspicion.
The question becomes: Why live in fear? Two superpowers pointing missiles at each other doesn't really mean that there's a cold war.

China, by all remarks, could do a great deal of damage to the US. I'd suspect they already have missiles pointed at the United States. I have yet to see anyone complain and say, 'Hey! Let's be afraid of the Chinese!'.

Yet, even if they are in the Cold War, there was so much going on besides the Cold War. From the 1950-1990s, we saw so much. The birth of the computer, the peace movement, the definition of the new left and right. Is that really fear?

Quote:
Ideally. But think of the whole world has a really large tribe. Tribes all have leaders, and have their strongest dominating the rest of the clan, and once a rival comes up then we have trouble. Much more so with a madman like Putin on the head of 7,200 active nuclear weapons pointed at various locations around the world, and a moron like Bush holding the key to an active stockpile of 5,300 nuclear weapons, I'd like you to ask yourself, is it worth it?
I'd say that there are few more key players involved. China can dish out quite a bit of firepower, and so can India. They are both forces to be reckoned with, which would make Russia and the US think twice.

But, even then, the fear of each other would keep them from pressing the button (Hopefully). I'd say it'd be much better then a single madman on one side, with no one else to threaten to push him down. If Bush was not there, Putin could nuke any country out there. Iran, South Korea, or Canada, it doesn't matter. If Putin was not there, Bush could turn the Middle East into a field of glass.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:47 AM   #8
CptSternn

Saying Russia has organised its children into a group similar to Hitler Youth is quite an inflammatory statement. I know many, and travel to Russia/Poland/Czech and there is no such sentiment among the people, other than the normal anti-american sentiment which is echoed pretty much worldwide these days, due to the war and other bush policies.

That being said, as far as xenophobic groups - America has more hate groups with more members than any other nation in the world. All hate groups have some HQ in the states. On top of that, your glossing over the fact the American anti-Arab sentiment displayed in policy, policing, and everywhere is quite xenophobic - not to mention the current battle over immigration which is quite discriminatory to those of Latino persuasion.

Putin has rolled back democracy in his country, true, but thats only because he had to in some areas. The nation was crashing BECAUSE of democracy. Putin also is no idiot either. Former head of the KGB, the man knows a thing or two about what he is doing.

More importantly, like the US list of human rights abuses they accuse China of, America has implemented similar policies that run parallel to Putin's right now - so everything they accuse him of, bush through the patriot act, warrant-less wire tapping, detentions without access to council or trial, etc. has put America on the same level as Russia when it comes to violations of personal liberties and democracy.

Russia is making a comeback because they now supply most of Europe with oil. Because their new found supplies and the new technology which is allowing them to drill places that were previously out of reach, Expect Russia, like the countries in the Middle East, to get more powerful, not less.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote