Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 02-26-2007, 04:24 PM   #76
Graveyard.Crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork
And she will never know she is wrong.
oh yes she is
Trust me in a year she will, after being beat up by real goths a couple of times
It happened before
Old 03-05-2007, 11:55 AM   #77
mooncradle

Aside from all the "what's goth or not" dicussions I have to say her using long words in order to sound smart or deeply thoughtful just annoys me.
I mean you can use all the long words you like, but if you're talking to people with average intelligence in the literary field and with only a small vocabulary it's not going to mean anything.
Being able to discuss the nature of love etc doesn't indicate intelligence to me, it indicates someone who's not all that spontaneous. A little discussion like that's okay but she seems to have spent hours thinking about it and thinking it makes her sound "deep" and "smart". I'd be far less annoyed if she'd just talked like a normal person having a normal conversation like it started off as.
mooncradle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 02:46 AM   #78
CptSternn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestorm
Please tell me the universal definition of goth.
It's defined as much as what is isn't as to what it actually is.

The easiest, quickest, and best way to find out is: to find your local goth venue, that has real shows with notable artists, and visit those venues.

You may find lists, websites, books, even telly shows about what is or isn't 'goth', but the only way to truly know is to go there and participate.

If you have to ask, then you haven't been there yet.

If you have been there, well, you already know.

Yes, it is a personal culture/lifestyle choice, however, it is one that requires some level of recognition from others within the scene which you must physically interact with at some point to truly become an active 'participant' (for lack of a better term).
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 05:03 PM   #79
Vyvian Blackthorne

I disagree, in my own philosophies, that there's nothing poetic or artistic about being goth. Other then describing a goth by using darkly inclined or someone who respects darkness and that to which is shunned, it could be described as someone who appreicates poetry, art, etc. I believe we are poetic in our beliefs and philosophies, or if not, appreicative toward that matter.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:19 PM   #80
Lykaios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
I hate what people have made out of Goth.
This time I'm not talking about the ones that think Slipknot and Hot Topic are goth.
I'm talking about the other side of the coin.
The people that think that goth equates with art and believe that their gothiness was a Gods-given-gift that makes them beings better than the regular person.
Goth should stay as a musical style and that's it. At the most influencing fashion style.
In literature it should be a fucking adjective, not the 'essence of gothy writing that pours like ink from your soul to the paper'

If you want to write poetry, be a fuckin' poet! There's nothing poetical about being goth.
Some artists can call themselves goth. Being goth doesn't give you a free pass to be considered an artist.
A>B doesn't equal B>A
I hate those moronic beings that call themselves artists.
What's so fucking artistic about writing about vampires and death?
If someone believes being goth gives you superpowers to know the meaning of life and instantaneously transforms your writings from shit to 'tortured poetry' I'm going to shoot you.
Oh, I couldn't agree more strongly with that. People call me an elitist because of it, too. It's bloody annoying.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:21 PM   #81
Lykaios

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooncradle
Aside from all the "what's goth or not" dicussions I have to say her using long words in order to sound smart or deeply thoughtful just annoys me.
I mean you can use all the long words you like, but if you're talking to people with average intelligence in the literary field and with only a small vocabulary it's not going to mean anything.
Being able to discuss the nature of love etc doesn't indicate intelligence to me, it indicates someone who's not all that spontaneous. A little discussion like that's okay but she seems to have spent hours thinking about it and thinking it makes her sound "deep" and "smart". I'd be far less annoyed if she'd just talked like a normal person having a normal conversation like it started off as.
I think this quote goes good here.

"It's funny. All you have to do is say something nobody understands and they'll do practically anything you want them to." - Holden Caulfield
Old 03-22-2007, 09:44 PM   #82
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyvian Blackthorne
I believe we are poetic in our beliefs and philosophies, or if not, appreicative toward that matter.
I agree with that. But it comes again to the A>B doesn't equal B>A.
The fact that goths are attracted to these doesn't mean that poets and philosophers are all goths, which is basically what the people I'm ranting about believe.
You know the type: They say Shakespeare would have been goth, and that only their poetry expresses true emotion, because we all know loneliness if the only emotion.
A forum I also frequent is just like that. Their section of writing is marred with nothing but 'I want to die' 'No one cares about me' 'Life is meaningless'
Makes a nihilist want to vomit.
We should make a name for these guys.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 11:29 AM   #83
Draconysius

The only thing that can be ascertained about the goth 'mindset' is that all goths have a decadent -or dark, but beautiful- aesthetic. Of course you can't be a goth without a liking to goth music, just like you can't be a punk without a liking to punk music. After all, goth as it is today is based on a musical genre.

I believe, however, there are those that can be "goth-minded", but not goths. People like Edgar Allan Poe, Neil Gaiman, maybe some painters like Edvard Munch or Dali might be considered goth-minded for their aesthetics, but they've never heard a piece of goth music in ther life, so they're oviously not goth.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 04:33 PM   #84
ArtificialOne

Hm.. I think I will start a thread about each individuals trip to gothiness .....

“More persons, on the whole, are humbugged by believing in nothing, than by believing too much”
P.T. Barnum

Vist me:
http://www.myspace.com/lifeasartificial
ArtificialOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 06:07 PM   #85
Aaroneet

By this argument, every recording artist is Goth simply because they make music. As for the writing, it's not only the themes in "Goth", but the quality of it. Whether it's hollow or not. I've read my share of poems, in particular, that were simply transparent, but otherwise fine pieces.
Aaroneet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 07:49 AM   #86
Lady_Lacrimosa_Umbrae

Something that I haven't still managed to understand is why posers get soooooo heated up when you tell them that their music is not Goth. I mainly listen to band that are considered "truly goth" (I know this doen's make much sense, but please try to understand my point) such as Siouxie, the Cure, Bauhaus, Lacrimosa, etc... but I do listen to a lot of music that has nothing to do with "goth", and I enjoy it.

What I mean with this is that the fact that something is not gothic does not mean its quality is bad, and I don't understand why many posers take it as if it did.
Lady_Lacrimosa_Umbrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 09:39 AM   #87
MollyMac

Why does it matter at all? Like what you like, do what you do. Do not like something because it is in a category.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:55 AM   #88
Cyntrox

Quote:
A forum I also frequent is just like that. Their section of writing is marred with nothing but 'I want to die' 'No one cares about me' 'Life is meaningless'
Makes a nihilist want to vomit.
We should make a name for these guys.
Already done, they're called emo.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:40 AM   #89
Godslayer Jillian

Yeah.... read the thread on emo...

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 10:45 AM   #90
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconysius
The only thing that can be ascertained about the goth 'mindset' is that all goths have a decadent -or dark, but beautiful- aesthetic. Of course you can't be a goth without a liking to goth music, just like you can't be a punk without a liking to punk music. After all, goth as it is today is based on a musical genre.

I believe, however, there are those that can be "goth-minded", but not goths. People like Edgar Allan Poe, Neil Gaiman, maybe some painters like Edvard Munch or Dali might be considered goth-minded for their aesthetics, but they've never heard a piece of goth music in ther life, so they're oviously not goth.
It's like with diseases there is the flu then there is bacterial meningitis. They both have similar symptoms but there is a definite difference between the two.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 12:23 PM   #91
Cyntrox

Quote:
Yeah.... read the thread on emo...
I know it's a stereotype, but it's the title given to them.
Old 05-05-2007, 03:37 PM   #92
DarkHeartedDemoness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyntrox
I know it's a stereotype, but it's the title given to them.
Uh-huh, and the stereotype given to us right now is homicidal maniacs with trench coats.

Fuck that.
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
DarkHeartedDemoness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 10:11 AM   #93
Lapin

(holds head) Owwwwwww.......her logic makes my head hurt......

(wrinkles nose) I don't like it when people use big words to make themselves sound smarter, when in reality, a simpler word would be more appropriate in the first place.

(Damn, the song 'Jillian' is stuck in my head now...)
Lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 04:48 PM   #94
biohazard

The conversation was rather stupid, but the gender of the person is still a mystery, after having read the conversation.
biohazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 10:06 PM   #95
Ishkabibble

The person seemed to just be jotting down big words without really knowing what they meant. Her writting was confusing to understand, big time in my case.
Just because you know big words it doesn't mean that you're automatically smarter. You can be a poohead and know big words at the same time, but you use them in an uncomprehensible manner.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:46 PM   #96
Kitten of the Catacomb

From my experience, love isn't cruel, perse, it can just be painful at times. However, the bliss of love outweighs the pain, making the word "cruel" a useless adjective in this case.

Drucilla needs to cease being verbose unless she actually understands the correct context of each word. Vocab words don't prove your intelligence, as it seems she was trying to flaunt as an act to get you to join her site.

People are so bothersome...

-------------------------------------
I was helping my friend write a paper on stereotypes/labels today, and I was reading this book. It stated that a goth was shunned for people believed that he was Satanic. Also, the poor soul was asked if he was part of the Trenchcoat Mafia. *shakes head* ...So poorly understood.
Kitten of the Catacomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 04:06 PM   #97
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten of the Catacomb
From my experience, love isn't cruel, perse, it can just be painful at times. However, the bliss of love outweighs the pain, making the word "cruel" a useless adjective in this case.

Drucilla needs to cease being verbose unless she actually understands the correct context of each word. Vocab words don't prove your intelligence, as it seems she was trying to flaunt as an act to get you to join her site.

People are so bothersome...
Wait, when was she verbose? I read this thread, but I'm not seeing where she was verbose.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 10:20 AM   #98
Cyberbat

*For the original post* Just makes me, all the more, want to start up a Gothic Refine School.
Cyberbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 01:04 PM   #99
Dancing_in_rain

For me, goth is whatever you want it to be, though there are some basic stnadards of it. There are many, many, many sub categories of "goth". After all, you have the Cybergoths who dress in silver and goggles and the Victorian goths who walk around in lace and velvet. < those are jsut the stereotypical views of those two subcategories. I know not all Cybergoths and Victorian goths are like that. It's like geometry: all squares are rectangles but not all rectangles are squares.

Yawn. This is rather tedious, is it not?

www.chansondeplume.blogspot.com
^Mon blog d'ecriture en francais. Veuillez lire et commenter!
Translation: My writing blog in french. Feel free to read and comment.

Dancing_in_rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 09:56 PM   #100
JuliaSeizure

A person is not being themselves when they live the fantasy of their favorite musician's lyrics. This goes against the very grain of what "goth" was intended to be from the very beginning.
This seems to be the new trend though-sad? Very.

I understand why you felt so dazed. reading that nearly made me seizure (ha ha-no pun intended)
JuliaSeizure is offline   Reply With Quote