Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:13 PM   #1
blindNsect

Hair Dye

Do you use it? If so, what kind?

I use the cheapest shit from Wal Mart, Revlon I think. I dyed my hair earlier this afternoon and now it itches like I have lice.
blindNsect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 05:26 PM   #2
Ophelia's Snorkel

Have you used this brand many times or is this the first? It sounds like it's at least the first time you've had a bad reaction to it. Hope your scalp feels better by now. As for what I use, I've tried them all (from salon overcharge to the Hallowe'en Kmart special) but a $12 box of Garnier blue-black does as well or better than any of them for me.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:00 PM   #3
carakitty

I used L'oreal Preference for my most recent coloring. Seems to be doing pretty well so far but it's been in less than a week.

I've also been happy with Feria on many occasions.

The henna from LUSH was epic fail for me.

Punky Colours smelled good and I liked that it was so natural but with as dark as my hair is naturally those were more of a high-light color than a complete color change. Not brave enough to do peroxide for full effect.

I've also had it done at the salon on many occasions.

Does that answer your questions? =)
Old 11-12-2009, 10:45 PM   #4
Xeric2000

Light Mountain, Natural Hair Color & Conditioner, Black. It's $5 on iHerb.com! Can't go wrong...pure botanical, no chemicals, no cruelty! I'm naturally blonde, so I use two treatments for pure darkness!
Xeric2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:07 AM   #5
SiouxsiePernova

I use Clairol Nice 'N' Easy in Natural Black.

SiouxsiePernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:10 AM   #6
Pineapple_Juice

Forgot what mine's called but I use the one with the little asian lady blowing a strand of hair out of her face.
Narrow it down?
Old 11-13-2009, 05:49 AM   #7
SiouxsiePernova

This one?

SiouxsiePernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 07:23 AM   #8
Serren

I found the Feria ones to be OK.

I find getting my hair dyed at the hairdresses to be a lot better tho... Some hairdresses will do it for the cost of the dye is you get a trainnee to do it for you.

I hope you managed to get rid of the lice. Most chemists (or pharmacies) should be able to sell you something to get rid of it. If you comb conditioner through your hair with a wide toothed come every time you wash it it should stop you getting lice in the first place as apprantly they can't hang onto your hair. Soaking your scalp in conditioner sometimes helps after you've treated your hair for lice (the joys of parenthood/working with kids).
Serren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 07:34 AM   #9
vindicatedxjin

Every time I dye my hair or even have it dyed at the salon it fades out within two weeks i've asked around, as to what would stay on longer but i've tried everything. My hairs gone back to it's natural color which is light brown and it's been this way for a few months now I'm gonna try to go back to black using Ferias midnight black...but I dunno how long it will stay in. Any suggestions?

Bring Kontan Back
vindicatedxjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 08:05 AM   #10
blindNsect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serren View Post
I found the Feria ones to be OK.

I find getting my hair dyed at the hairdresses to be a lot better tho... Some hairdresses will do it for the cost of the dye is you get a trainnee to do it for you.

I hope you managed to get rid of the lice. Most chemists (or pharmacies) should be able to sell you something to get rid of it. If you comb conditioner through your hair with a wide toothed come every time you wash it it should stop you getting lice in the first place as apprantly they can't hang onto your hair. Soaking your scalp in conditioner sometimes helps after you've treated your hair for lice (the joys of parenthood/working with kids).
I didn't have lice, I said my head itches like I do.
Old 11-13-2009, 08:11 AM   #11
vindicatedxjin

It's normal to have minor irritation, especially if you've never dyed your hair before...It should go away soon.

Bring Kontan Back
Old 11-13-2009, 09:36 AM   #12
Serren

Ah must of misread it.

I wonder if you could be slightly allergic to the hair dye? I used a black blue dye once and I seemed to have a slight reaction to it, my scalp went very dry and itchy for the first few washes.

Did you manage to wash it all out OK? It could be an idea to give it a good wash and use loads of conditioner particuarly on your scalp to make sure theres no dye left on your hair/scalp.

It might be an idea to get soneone to check your head and make sure theres nothing like a rash, but most likely like someone else said its just a minor reaction to dying it for the first time.
Serren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:56 AM   #13
blindNsect

It happens everytime I dye it. It's a minor irritation. Itches like a bitch for a couple days. My inferior white skin is to blame.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:24 AM   #14
honeythorn

I think I've used almost every brand on the shelf of black hair dye, and I've been dyeing it since I was 18 ( naturally blonde) . I've tried variations on black, I tried blue-black, a reddish black and also a purpliish black as well as the usual normal black. NOT ONE OF THEM, has ever lasted in colour more than a couple of weeks before turning a shitty muddy brown black.

I even went to have my hair dyed at a hairdressers in the hope of the colour lasting longer as it's professional/proper/stronger stuff they use....FADED. Total waste of money.

So now I'm trying to make my hair more red.I haven't pre-lightened or bleached my hair, as I think 9 years of dye abuse is more than enough for my hair to be coping with.

I currently use a semi permanent/wash out stuff called Directions. It comes ready mixed in a pot and comes in all colours , blue, green, yellow, many shades of red and pink, purple ect ect. I use poppy red and this shows up really well even though I'm dyeing straight over black dye.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:27 AM   #15
vindicatedxjin

Yah...I'm assuming that lighter hair must not hold the dye as well...or possibly dying it so much strips it of its will to hold anything at all............I don't think I would look very good with red hair so I should probably just stick to black. It's just so freaking frustrating having to dye your hair...all the freaking time.

Bring Kontan Back
Old 11-13-2009, 10:30 AM   #16
honeythorn

I suspect I have dyed it black too much and now it rejects black dye with a firm follicle. The red seems to be staying pretty well. It does wash out/fade somewhat as it's not permanent, and requires re-application every couple of weeks, but the pots are cheap at £3.99 and the dye is not harsh at all so I'm happy.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:43 AM   #17
vindicatedxjin

What kind of tint of red do you use...I've debated about using anything red...but I suppose it would depend on the tint.

Bring Kontan Back
Old 11-13-2009, 12:17 PM   #18
Pineapple_Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiouxsiePernova View Post
This one?

That's right girlie. Garnier Intense Auburn.
Old 11-13-2009, 01:02 PM   #19
honeythorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicatedxjin View Post
What kind of tint of red do you use...I've debated about using anything red...but I suppose it would depend on the tint.
It's a ready mixed dye that comes in a small pot. It's called Directions. Here's the site

http://www.lariche-directions.com/lariche.htm

I use poppy red.
Old 11-13-2009, 01:15 PM   #20
vindicatedxjin

Aww I was so excited until I read that they don't take credit cards T_T. I'm sure there has to be some kind of product that's kind of like it, here in the states...I'm gonna do some research.

Bring Kontan Back
Old 11-13-2009, 01:16 PM   #21
Ophelia's Snorkel

Yay for Garnier fans!

Depending on the light I'm in, this one has a purplish sheen at times, but when I first dye it the blue in it is so vibrant.
Old 11-13-2009, 01:17 PM   #22
vindicatedxjin

Hmm...i"ve never tried that one before 0.o

Bring Kontan Back
Old 11-13-2009, 01:24 PM   #23
honeythorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicatedxjin View Post
Aww I was so excited until I read that they don't take credit cards T_T. I'm sure there has to be some kind of product that's kind of like it, here in the states...I'm gonna do some research.
Are there any alternative stores where you are? Even places like Hot topic might sell it. I get mine from the goth stall in the indoor alternative market in the city .
Old 11-13-2009, 01:32 PM   #24
MissCheyenne

I use Directions dye as well, on the front section of my hair. Currently the shade I'm using is rubine but in the not too distant past I had flamingo pink and violet.
MissCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 01:36 PM   #25
vindicatedxjin

Well at hottopic they have some stuff called manic panic that's like 13 dollars but there's only like 6 colors and no black...gay.

Bring Kontan Back